2016 Reverb twist!

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Hey
Had a decent stack today and my saddle is now pointing about 30 degrees to the right. Looked at where the post is clamped into the frame and it has not moved. It's like the post has twisted internally. I tried forcing it back but no luck. Can only move it a couple of degrees which is the play it has had since new. Any tips guys?

teK--

Eats Squid
From memory there are two brass keys that keep the upper post located within the lower post. if it's twisted that much the post probably is damaged internally.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i once had a similar thing happen when my post (Reverb) rotated in the clamp during a stack. I tried to straighten it without loosening off the seatclamp and the very top of the post/stanchion began to unwind. I quickly tightened it back and loosened the clamp to straighten it.
I have had mine apart before and there is not really any way it can rotate internally apart from the very top of the post/stanchion. Can you not just loosen the seatclamp and straighten it? If it is a stealth post the only issue will be the top cap is out of whack.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory there are two brass keys that keep the upper post located within the lower post. if it's twisted that much the post probably is damaged internally.
There are three brass keys and if it has rotated there I would think it is almost totally rooted.

Unless the 2016 post was different from the previous.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
It's a stealth. Defiantly has not moved in the seat post clamp. Will have a better look tomorrow. Was a pretty hard crash so anything could have happened. Still goes up and down nice though.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
I actually think it's the most constructive comment here. I've weekened and bought 3. Never again
It would have been very constructive if I was asking people's opinions/ experiences prior to purchasing one! In this case it was fitted stock to my new bike and I just have to deal with it. Seems to work ok so far. Pretty sure most of the issues have been sorted out on the 2016. Crashing into a tree may not have improved it though.

moorey

call me Mia
It would have been very constructive if I was asking people's opinions/ experiences prior to purchasing one! In this case it was fitted stock to my new bike and I just have to deal with it. Seems to work ok so far. Pretty sure most of the issues have been sorted out on the 2016. Crashing into a tree may not have improved it though.
Fair call. On a serious note, as mentioned above, pretty sure there are keys to stop rotation (there are in others). I can't see how they could twist without catastrophic consequences. Being a stealth, if it's still working.....I say just cover your ears and forget about it.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
It's a stealth. Defiantly has not moved in the seat post clamp. Will have a better look tomorrow. Was a pretty hard crash so anything could have happened. Still goes up and down nice though.
how have you determined it hasnt moved in the frame?

i cant imagine it would twist and still function fine, the key ways would be fingered and presumably bits floating around inside.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Hey
Had a decent stack today and my saddle is now pointing about 30 degrees to the right. Looked at where the post is clamped into the frame and it has not moved. It's like the post has twisted internally. I tried forcing it back but no luck. Can only move it a couple of degrees which is the play it has had since new. Any tips guys?
Is this what you mean? The seat is straight but the post is out of alignment where it enters the frame, noticed it a few week ago.....still works fine. (yes, I need to clean my bike)

Attachments

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Is this what you mean? The seat is straight but the post is out of alignment where it enters the frame, noticed it a few week ago.....still works fine. (yes, I need to clean my bike)
That is exactly what has happened! And that's how I'll probably fix it too. Must have moved internally. Is yours 2016 also

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2016 version still has the keys...it's the top one. Maybe you've sheared at least one one off and its rotated and wedged in there - but i wouldn't think it would move up and down then?

Buntley

Likes Dirt
That is exactly what has happened! And that's how I'll probably fix it too. Must have moved internally. Is yours 2016 also
Nup, it's a couple of years old. I recently had mine serviced, when I got it back the top bolt was loose, I only noticed the twist when I realised the bolt was loose, so assumed they were related.

I have spoken to the Co that serviced it, they said it was probably just the way it was re assembled, and as long as it's working OK it should be fine. If I want it straightened, drop back. ..quick fix.

If yours has occurred as result of a stack, I would get it checked.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Don't buy a reverb.
What, in your opinion, is a better option? I've also had the issue of it twisting and if it is rooted then I'll consider replacing it with something else like a KS Integra. Although I'm sure the twisting issue would probably happen to most posts in the event of a massive hit.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
What, in your opinion, is a better option? I've also had the issue of it twisting and if it is rooted then I'll consider replacing it with something else like a KS Integra. Although I'm sure the twisting issue would probably happen to most posts in the event of a massive hit.
Im sure the haters will comment, but my spesh IRcc has been absolutely faultless for the past 10 months. The SRL lever it comes with is possibly the best dropper lever out too.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Im sure the haters will comment, but my spesh IRcc has been absolutely faultless for the past 10 months. The SRL lever it comes with is possibly the best dropper lever out too.
+1. Spesh post with the SLR lever.

The Giant post also seems good value for money and reasonably reliable from what I have seen and heard.

Gravity droppers are fugly but seem reliable too.

Would never buy a reverb aftermarket.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I used to have a spesh post and I really liked the reliability of it, the only thing I didn't like was not being able to control how fast the thing smacks you in the balls :( I heard of a guy who ended up in hospital due to accidentally hitting the lever while fiddling with his bike.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I heard of a guy who ended up in hospital due to accidentally hitting the lever while fiddling with his bike.
A friend of a friend of mine once heard of a guy having to have his arm amputated after the reverb release and pinned his arm between the seat and his bottom.