ROAD 2015 Specalized Tarmac U Di2 Pro Disc Race, and now a 2016 Crux Expert x1

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Not sure how much love there is for road bikes but I picked this up yesterday, after selling my previous Road bike, an Oppy C6

It's a 2015 Specialized Tarmac U Di2 Pro Disc Race. It had done about 400km in the hands of the original owner (who had a massive selection of nice Specialized bikes including this, a Shiv, Venge, Camber etc etc) and has just had a warranty replacement frame. It wasn't ridden after being rebuilt into the new frame and having the aero bars fitted.

Basically standard spec apart from the S-Works aero bars. Basic spec below

Frame - Specialized Tarmac 54cm
Handlebars - Sworks Aero
Wheels - Roval Rapide CL 40
Groupset - Ultegra Di2
Brakes - Shimano 785 Hydraulic Disc

Did 55k on it earlier today to get used to it. Its very fast. Several things that are firsts for me on a road bike including Di2 (love it), Hydraulic Discs (love those too)! Aero wheels and bars are also new to me.

In terms of upgrades, the only thing that is a bit basic is the qr skewers so I may try and get a set of the black Tune DC14 skewers when there are some available.

I will also probably remove all the spacers under the bars as I am not sure I need them.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Well I suppose with disc brake roadies nowadays they can be on rotorburn ;)

Nice rig!

I have the same brakes on mine although I can't get the levers to feel as firm as on an MTB. They are very progressive like Avid Guides but even more so. How are yours?

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Cheers. The levers feel pretty solid, but they do feel pretty progressive so far in terms of action. I was only really bumbling about today to get use to it.

I wonder what the difference between the M785 (mtb) and the R785 (road) calipers is?... maybe I can swap in some m9000 XTR calipers.....!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Cheers. The levers feel pretty solid, but they do feel pretty progressive so far in terms of action. I was only really bumbling about today to get use to it.

I wonder what the difference between the M785 (mtb) and the R785 (road) calipers is?... maybe I can swap in some m9000 XTR calipers.....!
not a whole lot from my understanding... owner of a LBS had a disc road frame kicking about and ordered R785 setup for it. he mistakenly ordered the new 'direct mount' style calipers, and swapped them out for a set of XT calipers instead.

sweet looking ride by the way! those s-works bars are swish.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks very tidy, love the look of that frame.
Can't have a bike that clean and leave the orange warning stickers on the rotors though.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Snap!

Have the same bike,just celebrated its 1st Birthday - they are a cracking rig. Mine has 3T Ergonova bars, Romin Pro and DuraAce cranks (to run my powermeter) Other than that some Sworks Turbo tyres and its stock

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Thanks all. I have removed the orange stickers from the rotors now as well.

102k on it now since getting it on Monday night.

The brakes are a revelation over the 6800 Ultegra on my last bike. I can comfortably stop coming into any sort of traffic hazard, even downhill with only one brake if I like. The modulation is far better.

Going to get some sort of frame/crank protection as well I think.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Looks awesome .... first specialized I've seen that could actually shift my commitment to never own one !

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Great bike. Spec make some very nice road bikes, and that looks the goods.

I hear only fantastic things about the DI2 system. One thing to note, a guy at work decided that a high pressure washer was a good idea and managed to kill his RD. He had to order a new one. I doubt you'd do it, but just something to be wary of.

-Shaun

scblack

Leucocholic
As for disc brakes on a roadie.

I've ridden a roadie for about 8years now. Ridden 26,000kms in that time, in Sydney traffic etc. Never once really did I wish that I had disc brakes.

However, in wet conditions brakes can slip a little before biting. And its really only a fairly small weight penalty. I see it more as a marketing ploy than necessity.

I'm still unconvinced really, but I'm not dead against them.

Boxer

Likes Dirt

I've ridden a roadie for about 8years now. Ridden 26,000kms in that time, in Sydney traffic etc. Never once really did I wish that I had disc brakes.

However, in wet conditions brakes can slip a little before biting. And its really only a fairly small weight penalty. I see it more as a marketing ploy than necessity.

You simply need to try them, far better modulation and consistency from the hydro R785's from Shimano, not affected by weather.

I rode Sydney to Hobart on rim brakes through the Snowys etc with variable weather - I now own no bikes with rim brakes - frightening in the wet, get hot on descents, no where near the modulation and scored my rims to buggery.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Don't feed the troll people ... do we really need to bring this old chestnut up again in someone's post your ride thread ?

scblack

Leucocholic
You simply need to try them, far better modulation and consistency from the hydro R785's from Shimano, not affected by weather.
I have not ridden a roadie with them to be honest.

By the way, nice bike Psimpson. :third:

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Great bike. Spec make some very nice road bikes, and that looks the goods.

I hear only fantastic things about the DI2 system. One thing to note, a guy at work decided that a high pressure washer was a good idea and managed to kill his RD. He had to order a new one. I doubt you'd do it, but just something to be wary of.

-Shaun
Noted! I will make sure I don't do that!

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Also no worries re the disc re rim brake argument. This isn't the first discussion/argument that has appeared in my build threads. Chops managed to start one in my Spartan thread about bike costs!

I guess all that matters to me is I prefer the R785 Discs over the 6800 rim brakes a lot in terms of how they feel, work and also look!

Edited to add, the saddle seems to have a creak so will need to try and pinpoint that.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
some adjustments on the cockpit.

Swapped the barfly Garmin mount from the Spartan to allow it to sit over the stem, which has allowed me to fit the new Light and Motion front light setup. Pretty happy with how it looks. Have charged it up and will test it out first thing tomorrow: