DH 2015 Alloy 650b demo! (and 2015 specialized P3)

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
after riding my 2013 demo, i came to realise my love for this bike very soon, and as soon as i saw the 650b version come out, i had to get it!
Now with the ridiculous pricing and wait till January for the carbon version, i thought i would go for the alloy one. I also know the frame design well coming off my old bike.

I have changed the spec up a little because i was buying parts whilst waiting. So its mainly stock with a few changes (In red)
Frame - 2015 Specialized demo alloy, 650b With a fox RC4 that is not pictured
Front shock/fork - RockShox Boxxer RC 650b
Handlebars - Specialized Demo, low rise,
Stem - Specialized P.Series MTB
Grips - Vans ODI lock on
Saddle - Body Geometry Phenom Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails
Seatpost - Specialized 6061 alloy
Front brake -SRAM Guide RSC
Rear brake - SRAM Guide RSC
Cranks - SRAM X0 (not in pic)
Chainguide - E-thirteen LG1+, Not in pic
Chain - SRAM PC 1031
Pedals - Shimano DX
Rear derailleur - SRAM X0
Rear shifter - SRAM X0
Cassette - SRAM PG1031 7 speed converted
Front hub -Specialized Hi Lo disc
Rear hub - Specialized Hi Lo disc
Front rim - Roval 650b DH
Rear rim - Roval 650b DH
Spokes - DT Swiss
Nipples - DT Swiss
Tyres - Specialized Butcher (one is also going onto the rear aswell)

for photos, my computer is being a spud and i cannot upload to rotorburn

so here it is on Flickr until i can get it working again :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/101077184@N05/14940793784/

Last edited:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DEMMMMO.jpg
DEMM0 X0.jpg

The computer wont let me upload actual pics, so iphone pics it is!
weigh in and tubeless conversion should be up tomorrow!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
It's weird they'd spec that with a Boxxer RC instead of a Team with the charger damper.

Looks nice though.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's weird they'd spec that with a Boxxer RC instead of a Team with the charger damper.

Looks nice though.
its base model, so im not complaining

But in saying that, im replacing these internals soon anyway, should have a charger damper before christmas!

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man u have to give us a ride report , if it anything like the last demo it will rip

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time to get this thing dirty! See you tomorrow arvo for runs of Mt D. ��
Yeah sweet as! keen to get it on the dirt

Man u have to give us a ride report , if it anything like the last demo it will rip
I think they look better than the carbon , man i really like it .
I think they look better too (and a solid 3K cheaper for the base model with almost identical spec). I had a 2013 demo, and i went for this one because im already comfortable with the frame design and i really liked my old one!
ride report will come out tonight hopefuly! (photo below is my first demo, and what i will be comparing it against!

10438165_753723124648259_3146127503564418010_n.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sooo. after an attempted ride, we ended up stuck at a mates place replacing the battery in his car!!! we didnt get far:pound::pound:
But now, I have gotten my RC4 back, and have dropped it straight on with my TI spring!
RC4 TI.jpg

And also a nice and light carbon saddle too (s-works Phenom)
S-works Phenom.jpg

And as a bit of an impulse buy, i found a new little brother to the demo! (2015 specialized P3 frame)
10850754_847741628579741_1445688485_n.jpg

Excuse the crappy quality photos, the non iphone ones wont upload to rotorburn :frusty:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally took her for a decent ride today!
Oh my lord she rides well!

There was no HUGE difference between my old and my new, I did feel as though i was at home and not on a big clown wheeled machine, but the bigger wheels did have a bit of an affect.
the new bike felt much faster and smoother over the fast/rougher ground, not sure if my line choice was smoother today, but i didnt get sucked as deep into the braking bumps etc etc.
the Long frame made me feel more stable on the higher speed parts of the track, but still wasn't too much to flick around corners.
There is a bit more bike than what im used to, (moved from medium to long), and so it felt a little harder to just flick it off the ground in an urgent situation, but im sure that will come later on down the track.

In the air the bike is fine to jump with, not too much of a wind sail, and easy to make adjustments on.
Overall im stoked! glad i got to do a proper ride on it today.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I also know the frame design well coming off my old bike.
They've used exactly the same front triangle, just modified the rear end a little to accommodate the bigger wheels without messing with the geometry.

Glad to hear that there are noticeable improvements with the bigger wheels, I'm doing the upgrade on my Enduro. Very nice build and sweet looking bike.

I see the upgrade as 'future - proofing' - now you have a bike that will actually hold it's value for a while. Also, you won't have that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that everyone else is riding a wheel size that is actually better...

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They've used exactly the same front triangle, just modified the rear end a little to accommodate the bigger wheels without messing with the geometry.

Glad to hear that there are noticeable improvements with the bigger wheels, I'm doing the upgrade on my Enduro. Very nice build and sweet looking bike.

I see the upgrade as 'future - proofing' - now you have a bike that will actually hold it's value for a while. Also, you won't have that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that everyone else is riding a wheel size that is actually better...
Yeah i knew this, was considering chucking an s-works front triangle on it, but too much $$ and effort for what it is. did they not put an angle set in it too to accommodate for these bigger wheels?

The improvements are great, you get to stay comfortable with the frame design and ride quality, whilst they make the bike a little faster.

It was to do that essentially, working in a bike shop provides me with the opportunity to upgrade every couple of years with relatively low costs. Not only did i want to try out the bigger wheels, but the plan was to be getting a new bike in 2015 anyway.

How are you finding the Guide brakes?
Love them, went from X0 trails to the Guide RSC.
they just have a better feel all around, better lever pull, better power, easier bleed etc.
they can pull me up pretty damn quickly too.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
taking the big bike to buller this weekend! see how she handles the rough and tight stuff coming down international!
thats my test for the 650b wheels!!!
will be there on the 31st and the 1st. Come and say hi if you are up there too!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well some time has passed! and because it was such a cold and shitty winter (and the fact i hurt myself lots), my bikes sat away and i really stayed away from them.

So i have jumped back on them a lot more recently, causing me to want to update the thread!

So i ended up lending the p3 to the mate who had his parts on it, so he could get an idea of it. and he Loved it so much he bought it off me! funny that!
But luckily enough for me specialized had a complete build kit from a pslope frame that went out for warranty. So i snapped it all up, and got another frame and built that one up!
p3.jpg

But on the demo front, she has been looking after me.
After a few rides on it sofar the last few weeks, im loving it all over again! After a little wheeling and dealing, i scored myself an ohlins shock to bolt into it, a 10 speed x01DH mech (restricted to seven speed like my old X0), and some saint brakes that i havent even finished bolting on!
Quick pic after one of my rides at kinglake!
12200596_1010868242267078_1035516187_n.jpg
12202342_1010868215600414_1838465131_n.jpg

some more pics will come eventually!

And some footage of me riding the thing. well for a little anyway:nono:
[video=youtube;PNcMXyUyTvc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcMXyUyTvc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

morticus

Likes Dirt
Looking pretty good man, those stealth decals... I loved the lever shape of my Saint brakes but the actual braking and inconsistent bite points left a little to be desired. I'd be interested what your thoughts are between trail, guide and now Saint.