2014 Kona Explosif

brad353

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone, here's my new trail bike, a 2014 Kona Explosif. I've been trying for ages to get myself a new 2015 model 6" dual suspension bike like a Process 153, or a new carbon Reign, or something along those lines, but none of those bikes will be available until around January because the first shipments sold out straight away. So then I noticed that Kona still had one of these little rippers left in their warehouse, and I snatched it up so I can have a bike to ride over the winter here in Vancouver. I've made a few small changes already:

Race Face Atlas 35mm Stem
Race Face Carbon Next bars, 35mm
Race Face Narrow Wide chainring, 32t
Race Face Aeffect Pedals
Chromag Trailmaster saddle
Chromag QR seat clamp
* Also bought a set of Hope hubs, so I'll probably build up a new set of wheels for it once I decide which rims to order

Been on a few rides so far up on the North Shore and I'm really impressed with the way it handles for a bike with such a steep head angle. Just get back as far as you can on the steep stuff and hold on! Plus, it feels just like a slightly larger version of my 26" dirt jump bike, as in it manuals for days, and I'm really tempted to go and hit some decent size dirt jumps on it next time I have a chance, just to prove a point. Whatcha's think?

Attachments

Last edited:

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
Nice one! Is that a 17" frame? I got a 19" about a month ago. It feels kind of big to me coming from a dirt jumper, but I am getting more and more used to it as time goes on.

Swapping out the stem is a great move as well - I've only gone down to a 60mm at this stage, but even that made a huge difference over the 70 they come with stock

brad353

Likes Dirt
Yes it's a 17" frame. Changing the stem out dramatically changed the way the bike felt to me. Obviously it's personal preference, but for me whenever I got the wheels off the ground when the bike was stock, I would come down front heavy. The longer stem just seemed to place me too far forward on the bike. Still loving this thing!