AM 2013 Giant Reign 1 + modifications

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Only had this bike for a couple of months, made a few mods and am really happy with it!!
Rides up fine and even better coming back down! Not built as a lite-weight, but loves rough and tumble decents!

Frame - 2013 Giant Reign 1
Rear shock - Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
Front shock/fork - 160mm Dual Position RCT3 Rockshox Pikes
Handlebars - ENVE DH carbon bar - cut to 740mm
Stem - Black Hope FR
Headset - Hope Tapered Headset
Grips - ODI Rogues
Saddle - Fizik Gobi XM
Seatpost - Rockshox Reverb 125mm LH under mount remote
Front brake - Shimano XT, Metal compound Finned pads with 203 IceTech rotor
Rear brake - Shimano XT, Metal compound Finned pads with 180 IceTech rotor
Cranks - Shimano XT with e13 NW 34t chainring
Chainguide - e13 XCX top mount and MRP ISCG bash
Chain - Shimano XT
Pedals - DMR Vaults - black with blue pins
Front derailleur - none
Rear derailleur - Shimano medium cage clutch, with OneUp RAD Cage
Front shifter - none
Rear shifter - Shimano XT - Ispec B
Cassette - Shimano XT 11-36 - with OneUp 16t and 42t replacement cogs
Front hub - Hope Pro 2 Evo SP
Rear hub - Hope Pro 2 Evo Sp
Front rim - Stans Flow Ex + Stans yellow tape tubeless
Rear rim - Stans Flow Ex + Stans yellow tape tubeless
Spokes - Sapim Race Straight Pull
Nipples - 2mm Brass
Tyres - Schwalbe Magic Mary TrailStar Snakeskin front - Hans Dampf SnakeSkin PaceStar rear
Tubes - none
Total weight - 13.6kg

Other mods completed -
135x10 rear axle - DT Swiss RWS thru axle
Hope Space Doctor stem/headset spacers
3M Frame skin
Marsh Guard front fender
Giant Bottle Cage (mainly for light battery)
Road inner tube wrapped to prevent chain slap noise
Garmin 510 computer
RockGuardz Carbon Fibre Downtube Protector

Seems I have somehow mucked the photo upload process up, but you get the idea!

Attachments

Last edited:

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Shock replacement advice

Thinking about upgrading the shock on this bike!

Am after some advice from anyone in the know! The Internet tells me that I could increase the shock from a 200x51 to a 200x57. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have removed the current one and nothing hits when I space the remaining gap to 143mm. Obviously the bottom bracket will be a bit lower on full compression but is there any other negatives I haven't thought of?

I have plans to eventually upgrade the fork aswell to a 160 dual position fork either a 34 Talas or Pike depending on which shock I go for if that makes a difference!!

Now which shock? I am leaning towards a Rockshox monarch plus debonair rc3. Can I still use the stock fox CTD 5 piece mounting hardware in the top eye, once I remove the bushing that would come in the monarch? And similar for the bottom eye, bushing out then straight onto the "axle" as per the fox CTD one?

Sorry for the long winded questions but have limited experience in this department!

Thanks in advance!

Luco

Likes Dirt
Nice reign! I have the same one ;)
I'm still running the standard rear shock and find it adequate. Will ride it till I blow it. Yes the frame can accommodate for the larger shock giving the rear 6.7" of travel. The only issue I believe would be voiding your frames warranty.
Personally I'm interested in putting a coil on mine so can't comment too much on debonair. Or considering getting a new frame which typically come with a shock.
I put 160mm rtc3 pikes on mine and haven't looked back. The 32 talas is terrible in comparison. I would do that before I changed the rear.

Thanks for posting.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Tasdisco,
I have the same bike. I upgraded my rear shock to a monarch plus which works great, heaps better than the original fox ctd. I went with a 200mm x51mm as I figured even if I went pikes next a slacker head angle couldn't hurt. It came with top bushing only which I had my lbs remove and just reused my original 5 piece bushing.
Cheers
Gav

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With upgrading, i'd do the fork first, then the shock.
You're not going to be able to enjoy the benefits of a nice shock while you've still got 32's up front.

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies!!

Thanks for replying with great info!

Advice has been taken and somehow have been given the go ahead for a purchase!

A set of 160mm Dual Position RCT3 Rockshox Pikes have been ordered!

While I was at it, I also ordered a Hope AM/FR black stem, Hope tapered headset and a black Hope seatpost collar to match the rims!

The shock is on the back burner for a while now!!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

si618

Likes Dirt
Love this bike!

Depends where you ride, but I'd chuck a carbon downtube protector on it before she gets too beaten up (e.g. rockguardz, bit cheaper off ebay) as it seems to be a magnet for strikes. My carbon guard has a big dent in it (oddly enough the back side of it is now white where the strike happened?), but it protected the downtube just fine.

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the comments!!

Thanks for the comments! It is certainly building into a bit of a weapon, hopefully I can do it justice!

Went for a ride today and I think the Fox forks must have become offended after I ordered the pikes??

To say they were terrible is a massive understatement. I initially thought my headset had become lose as I could feel a "knocking" feeling and play through the handlebar. Tried to tighten the headset but it was all good. Seems the play is coming from the talas adjustment side leg in the vicinity of the seal????

Then every substantial bump resulted in a significant "clunk". I fiddled with the rebound which had no effect on preventing the "clunk".

Any ideas what may have happened or have these Fox forks simply spat it cause they found out they are being replaced? (I was hoping to re-use them on a mates bike??)

Cheers!!

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Pikes and Hope gear on!

Crappy phone pic, but going riding so will get better ones later!!

Only the shock to upgrade now!

Cheers!

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Thinking about upgrading the shock on this bike!

Am after some advice from anyone in the know! The Internet tells me that I could increase the shock from a 200x51 to a 200x57. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have removed the current one and nothing hits when I space the remaining gap to 143mm. Obviously the bottom bracket will be a bit lower on full compression but is there any other negatives I haven't thought of?
Pretty sure frame leverage curve is regressive until close to the bottom out point and then it starts becoming progressive. If you are driving the frame past its normal limits you might find a harsh bottom out so maybe need to install some volume spacers in the shock.

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
It's finished for now!! Thanks for all the helpful comments!!

Finished with buying stuff for this bike now, until things need replacing through damage or wear and tear!

I am very impressed with the Pikes so far, what an improvement over the Fox 32 Talas.

I have just installed the Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair, so can't review that yet, but it won't be long!!

The Hope parts are really solid, look great and finish it off nicely!

I can't speak highly enough about the Hope Pro evo SP and Flow Ex combo! Rock solid but light! Love that sound!

I rate the Hans Dampfs highly too, plenty of grip and look massive but roll well.

The DMR vaults are proving to be a great combo with my Shimano AM41 shoes.

The ENVE bars are something else, super comfy with the ODI grips!

The OneUp component parts shift precisely and the added range is awesome. The E-Thirteen 34 tooth chainring combo allows me to get up Mt Wellington in a timely manner! Am yet to even look like dropping a chain and am impressed with the XCX top guide.

The Shimano XT brakes, cranks, derailleur and shifter are fantastic, and I can't comment highly enough about the Reverb dropper!

All in all, I am stoked with how this bike has turned out! Just got to ride it now and hopefully get faster and keep improving my riding!!

Last edited:

Luco

Likes Dirt
Mate that looks ace! As Knuckles said, good luck with not buying anything else! Who knows, you might be looking at a new frame soon :0

The only thing I would suggest is to tidy up your bashguard. I know you still have the stock mrp one without the rollers on there. I actually hack-sawed the tail off it (the part the rollers attach to) to clean it up a bit and still leaving it functional.

Nice one.

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Ha ha ha yeah I reckon you guys are probably right!

Good call on cutting the MRP guide down, will do that now I know I am not going back to 2x10.... Ever!

I ended up going for 200x51, I became concerned about over extending the frame and smacking the frame at full travel if I went longer.

Thanks for your help though!!

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Ride report - still early days!

Just a quick update with a bit of a ride report!

The most important parts first - Pikes are bloody awesome! Monarch Plus is bloody awesome! Full stop!!

This bike now feels like I am riding on a cloud, almost cat like. There is no high speed chatter and bigger hits just stick, I am only in the early stages of suspension setup but all I can say is wow! I can't wait to get these two completely dialled!!

The rest of the gear is faultless! I am so glad I asked questions and researched the bits I have bought because the package works so well together! Yeah the various parts weren't cheap but they are super solid!

The only change I am tempted to try once the above parts wear out are a Magic Mary out front and maybe a Rock Razor out back now summer is coming, but have no complaints about the Hans Dampf combo! I am not sure whether super Gravity is worth considering over snakeskin either??

I am a very happy Reign owner!!

Thanks for looking!

Luco

Likes Dirt
Just a quick update with a bit of a ride report!

The most important parts first - Pikes are bloody awesome! Monarch Plus is bloody awesome! Full stop!!

This bike now feels like I am riding on a cloud, almost cat like. There is no high speed chatter and bigger hits just stick, I am only in the early stages of suspension setup but all I can say is wow! I can't wait to get these two completely dialled!!

The rest of the gear is faultless! I am so glad I asked questions and researched the bits I have bought because the package works so well together! Yeah the various parts weren't cheap but they are super solid!

The only change I am tempted to try once the above parts wear out are a Magic Mary out front and maybe a Rock Razor out back now summer is coming, but have no complaints about the Hans Dampf combo! I am not sure whether super Gravity is worth considering over snakeskin either??

I am a very happy Reign owner!!

Thanks for looking!
Good on ya bud. Glad to hear your enjoying your ride!
I took mine out yesterday and gave it a bit of a thrash; still handles everything I throw at it. In fact I've been contemplating a new frame, but every time I ride it, it always comes to the party... Maybe a new rear shock might ease my new bike syndrome a little.
My tyre choice is a maxxis minion dhf up front and an ardent rear. A little heavy but well worth the extra grip I get.

Thanks for the update!