2013 Boxxer world cups or 2013 fox 40

needaride

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

There are a heap of "Boxxer or 40's?" threads.. some opinions that get thrown around are:

• Boxxer world cups are high maintenance - get teams
    Coil feels better than air
    Air is lighter than coil
    40's are awesome
    Its different for everyone - all about preference
    Boxxers are awesome
    Don't get either - buy Marz Evo 888 Ti's
    Both will be good, just ride

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Both of those forks are super different...

40's are commonly known as being the pricey end of the high performance spectrum, with performance to match. They are a Spring setup in this case with a Ti Spring. Solid adjustment for Spring Rate and you need to change the spring in order to change the spring rate. (More Rigid, Better Compression / Rebound Performance, Heavier, Expensive)

BoXXer WC's are basically the high end of the SRAM world. They are Air-Air forks (Ie no Spring) and run on air pressure instead of a spring. They are much more fiddley although you can change the spring rate without having to change a spring. There are also some other fairly notable differences in the way the air forks handle and ride. (Lighter, More Adjustment, Fiddley, Less Rigid, Less Expensive)

Personally... for 99% of the riders out there a spring fork will work perfectly, get the correct spring for your weight and away you go. There is no continued monitoring and adjustment and they are extremely reliable. Note that the BoXXers also have a spring model.

If you have the cash and want the bestest of the best splurge for the 40's. If you want the unlimited adjustment (Don't know why you would) then go the BoXXer WC's. If you are on a budget and don't want unlimited adjustment (Like99% of riders) get a set of BoXXer R2C2's.

Both will be good, just ride
^ The truth is out....

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 2013 cups are only out on the new glory as yet so maybe a find someone who has one and the 2013 40`s look the same as 2012 be sure they will get a new sticker when they roll out . But if you do read more on the fox web sight on whats new for 2013 they do mention a new flatter lower crown , id say that for the people that have had to use a 5mm spacer under the top crown so as not to mark the frame .
Both forks are excellent , i have just bought a pair of 2012 kashima 40`s and have always bought cups and im very happy .

driftking

Wheel size expert
Logged on today and saw a clips s flat now a 40 vs boxxer. I think the search function needs to be used more.

In the case of the thread you can't go wrong with either i love my boxxers but I'd personally go 40's on this one. They really have come leaps and bounds in the last 2 years. Not going to get into it, there is enough on here already so straight up get 40's

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the 2013 40`s look the same as 2012 be sure they will get a new sticker when they roll out . But if you do read more on the fox web sight on whats new for 2013 they do mention a new flatter lower crown.
No new sticker kits for the 2013 40's. The only difference between the 2012/2013 40's is that the 2013's now have a flat crown. So if you're not too fussed about the flat crown you may be able to get a set of the 2012's for a bargain.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No new sticker kits for the 2013 40's. The only difference between the 2012/2013 40's is that the 2013's now have a flat crown. So if you're not too fussed about the flat crown you may be able to get a set of the 2012's for a bargain.
They say the new crown its for a better fit and to lower the front . I know that i have to use a 5 mm spacer under my top so as not too damage my carbon frame . I cant help to feel that people are going away from lower fronts on the newer bikes . I might be wrong but its 2014 for the RAD from fox .

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They say the new crown its for a better fit and to lower the front . I know that i have to use a 5 mm spacer under my top so as not too damage my carbon frame .
Yeah, that's it. I'm on a v10c and you used to need to run a spacer for the crown to clear the top tube. With my 2013 40's you don't need a spacer at all, enabling you to lower the front end.

But if a lower front end doesn't bother you, I still think trying to find a 2012 40 on sale somewhere is the best bet. Either way, go with a set of 40's. They're awesome forks!

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have both. but chose boxxer R2C2 over WC due to sram not having a superior Air cartridge for performance over the coil brother. both R2C2 and 40 perform well, and you will love the way each ride and will need to get used to how both ride, due to the 40's using a taller Axle to Crown (even with the new flat crown) the distance of the AtoC has not changed.

however im going to throw a spanner in the mix, a rather beautiful spanner at that. with the current pricing on the BOS range you would honestly be a bit silly not to really consider them. and with the new Idylle rare using a full Air spring (first MTB company to get the air cart to perform well) BOS have always stated they will not use air spring until they can develop an air spring that is equal to or greater performance than a Coil spring. they now have a DH shock and Fork Air option. this shows they mean business in the DH air market.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Muskimo you beat me too it.
I was just clicking through my MTb mags when a fork that I and quickly forgotten about was in front of me.
The bos air rare.
It is very impressive, I read a bit on them earlier so I cannot remember all the details though.
300grams lighter than thier spring.
It achieves such a linear rate like a spring that they not only needed to keep the bump stop adjustment but even riders where questioning I'd they really were air on testing.
Bos have always out right states they will never produce a air fork or shock unless it can match or surpass the spring and from testing on the. We fork it not only matches but surpasses the coil while maintaining a very linear coil like feeling. However with the air you have negative chamber that allows for basically a zero preload is very good small and inital bump absorption.

I was not very impressed with the bos forks I tried, I dont know why but given they have had a few years under development since then and this jump with the air I'd be very keen to test a bos rare and 40 back to back.

Although his rare come with a hefty price tag.

Last edited:

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
^^

Speaking with some very notable suspension gurus I have heard that the BOS forks and shocks really are what they are cranked up to be... Apparently they are just out of this world!

Although...

But...

Then...

They went on to say that the service they recieve from BOS in terms of parts and support was so atrocious that they wouldn't bother running them...

So now they have the product. Just wait for the company to develop enough that the support behind the product is just as good. This is where Fox and RS make the difference...