2012 VSS Series

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Tim is correct. The age categories requirements are consistent with many sports. Unfortunately, a youngster's early sporting success can sometimes be determined by when they are born.

My son turned 14yo last week and now has to race U17 for the 2011-2012 season. He will race against boys potentially two years older and much more physically developed.

Such is life... do what needs to be done to have your newborns as early as possible in the year!
Wait until you are over 50 or 60 and and have to race in the over 40's category because race organisers think anything over 40 is all decrepit. My son is 14 and plays waterpolo in the mens comp, the benefits are experience and harder competition. Racing over age will, in the long run, benefit your son more.:pirate:

anyfin

Likes Bikes
That's if they don't get disillusioned with being beaten by older, stronger, more developed and mature competitors.

If the idea is to encourage young kids to compete, then I don't think this system works. And maybe to back this up, have a look at the number of juniors racing at State and National level. Not good.

Bit like the get lapped and get pulled from the race. With the short lap format, this comes into play very quickly. have a look at the State and National rounds and see how many were pulled.

Why would you bother unless you are in the top 10.

Guess this should have a thread of it's own.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
That's if they don't get disillusioned with being beaten by older, stronger, more developed and mature competitors.

If the idea is to encourage young kids to compete, then I don't think this system works. And maybe to back this up, have a look at the number of juniors racing at State and National level. Not good.

Bit like the get lapped and get pulled from the race. With the short lap format, this comes into play very quickly. have a look at the State and National rounds and see how many were pulled.

Why would you bother unless you are in the top 10.

Guess this should have a thread of it's own.
Maybe it's a bigger picture thing really, is the youngster looking at competing when he gets older and developing a career, or is it about winning now. Most of the serious seniors have raced against older category.:pirate:

Katdog

Likes Bikes
the course is in good shape, the rain does not affect it and the same goes for the camping and parking areas.
Awesome! By the looks of the helmet cam footage it should be a fast, fun course. Getting excited for Sunday now.

mtbold

Likes Bikes
Highway signage

If you are coming from Melbourne or Ballarat we have this evening put up signs at every turn from Lexton on the Sunraysia Highway all the way here. They look Like this:
WIMMERAhillsHighwayEventSignLeftMini.jpg
except some of them point the other way. They follow the driving directions in the rider pack

Great weather is forecast and the lap pool is sparkling in the afternoon sunshine.

Did you see me on Win News?

See you Sunday.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
It was a fantastic event. Really rugged natural trails. Nothing too groomed or easy to ride. Something to challenge everyone. For most people it seemed to be a matter of how fast can we do the next lap. And most of the young age category guys answered that with 'Damn fast!'
Would love to see another event here, utilizing some of the other trail options.

Knut

Troll hunter
I thought the weekend was a 100% blast!

From the very detailed directions, to the very satisfying drink with my wife upon arrival home. Loved the course. Admittedly, the first lap made me question my own abilities a few times. I have never, ever taken a b line before. Holy crap that obstacle was out there! Bring back the old school. Mountain bike courses for mountain bikers.

The drive up and back was very nice too. Please Ballarat, hold another race there. Well done to all involved.