2012 trek fuel ex9 bottom braket. Please help.

Baino

Likes Bikes
Hi all, I feel abit silly asking this however I'm fairly new to riding and still learning alot, I have a 2012 fuel 9 and the bottom bracket is in need of replacing, can some body tell me what the standard one is and what a good upgrade would be? I have searched the trek website and cannot find answers. Your help would be much appreciated guys.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What crank is in it? That will go a long way to identifying the BB.

Also, is it screw-in (you can tell by the housings sitting outside the frame, with little notches all the way around), or press-fit, where there's just a thin edge sitting outside the frame?

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
press fit to suit either GXP or 24 mm depending on wether you run sram or shimano. (not press fit BB30)

Baino

Likes Bikes
What crank is in it? That will go a long way to identifying the BB.

Also, is it screw-in (you can tell by the housings sitting outside the frame, with little notches all the way around), or press-fit, where there's just a thin edge sitting outside the frame?
Thanks for the reply it has xt cranks and it is a press fit bottom bracket.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The stock BB will be a Shimano SM-BB71. You can either replace it with the same thing, or upgrade to the XTR-level SM-BB91.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The stock BB will be a Shimano SM-BB71. You can either replace it with the same thing, or upgrade to the XTR-level SM-BB91.
Thanks DM - was after just that info (2012 Superfly though - same deal)

Do you know if the cranks are supposed to have some external washers on them somewhere? I have fitted my (deore) cranks and when snugged up using the shimano tool the thing barely moves...
Al..

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
No washers. Overtightening the tension cap will induce too much preload on the bearings; you only need to tighten it enough to take out any lateral play. It's the two pinch bolts through the butt of the left crank arm that hold it all together.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Thanks DM - was after just that info (2012 Superfly though - same deal)

Do you know if the cranks are supposed to have some external washers on them somewhere? I have fitted my (deore) cranks and when snugged up using the shimano tool the thing barely moves...
Al..
There is actually a small washer on each side of the BB (not just the rubber coated one, another small, steel flat washer) on the 2013 superfly with XT running gear anyway......... same on my 2011 Remedy carbon with XT running gear.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is actually a small washer on each side of the BB (not just the rubber coated one, another small, steel flat washer) on the 2013 superfly with XT running gear anyway......... same on my 2011 Remedy carbon with XT running gear.
Cheers mate, and to DM as well. Suspect it was too tight, but I'll need to find the washers...
Did you have a GT or an XT?