VIC 2012 Kona (Otway) Odyssey

fergo

Likes Dirt
haven't ridden any Otway race, so I think the 50km will be a nice intro....will worry about the 100km next time :)
The 50km is too easy for you Cleeshoy. HTFU and do the 100km with me. :biggrin: After seeing you ride away from me at Buller and the Forrest 6 hour, and you having done a heap more riding in all the events you've done since, you're more than able to do the 100. Stop getting "chicked" by your chick.:whip::whip:

As Mr T says, "I pity the Fool" and "Get Some Nuts!"

I did the 50km last year in just over 3 hrs and was just outside the Top 100. A whole weekend away with 3 hours riding seemed too short on the bike. After doing the 50km for the last 4 years and improving 50 places each year, I decided to have a go at my first 100km race. (and for the record, I dont think I'd be top 10 in 2013.)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
gps data; well 2011 took a shortcut or large B line around the private swamped out property - so it wasn't the standard course.

So here's a Strava 2010 gps snapshot of a 9:40 rider.

Things to note (also gps data aren't exact due to poor signal under trees etc): 3560 mtrs climbing, Wild Dog Rd 318 mtrs climbing - this is the first climb a few ks in and can bring any good rider to tears.

The 100k course has 3 steep peaks, first 10ks or so Wild Dog Rd, then around 38k (West Barwon Reservoir) and a steep mother of a climb - Britney's Meltdown at approx 89k (final 13k section). There's the sledgehammer just after 90k, and look at that big fat profile from 12k to 35k - that's tough.

Stats:
[HR][/HR]
OO_2010_p1.JPG
[HR][/HR]
Profile:
[HR][/HR]
OO_2010_p2.JPG
[HR][/HR]

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The 50km is too easy for you Cleeshoy. HTFU and do the 100km with me. :biggrin: After seeing you ride away from me at Buller and the Forrest 6 hour, and you having done a heap more riding in all the events you've done since, you're more than able to do the 100. Stop getting "chicked" by your chick.:whip::whip:

As Mr T says, "I pity the Fool" and "Get Some Nuts!"

I did the 50km last year in just over 3 hrs and was just outside the Top 100. A whole weekend away with 3 hours riding seemed too short on the bike. After doing the 50km for the last 4 years and improving 50 places each year, I decided to have a go at my first 100km race. (and for the record, I dont think I'd be top 10 in 2013.)
hehehe thanks for the kind words fergs :)
no doubt all my riding has quickened me up/added endurance, and I am confident I could complete the 100, but its more of a case of just wanting to do the 50 more then the 100. At that stage of the year, we would have just finished Wildside and Gravity so am looking for something more "fun" then anything. I reckon the 50 fits that quite nicely :)

(or I am just sandbagging :p)

bazza

look at me
hehehe thanks for the kind words fergs :)
no doubt all my riding has quickened me up/added endurance, and I am confident I could complete the 100, but its more of a case of just wanting to do the 50 more then the 100. At that stage of the year, we would have just finished Wildside and Gravity so am looking for something more "fun" then anything. I reckon the 50 fits that quite nicely :)

(or I am just sandbagging :p)
100 entered.....uggghhhh......why am I doing this to myself again.....

This image comes to mind when I think about it again...

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Precisely why I have entered the 50 and not the 100 :)
If I enjoy the 50 then I'll step it up and do the 100 next time.
You'll love the Forrest singletrack, everyone does, and by doing the 50km you wont have to pay the high price of entry. :) The first 40 odd km of the 100 hurt like hell.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
100 entered.....uggghhhh......why am I doing this to myself again.....

This image comes to mind when I think about it again...

You're doing it because you want to be respected in the morning.

Who wants to go back to work on Monday and say "I did halve a huge mtb race on Saturday"?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
You're doing it because you want to be respected in the morning.

Who wants to go back to work on Monday and say "I did halve a huge mtb race on Saturday"?
The 50km is a separate race in its own right. If one does the 100km race just to get respect they got other issues that need to be resolved :)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
You'll love the Forrest singletrack, everyone does, and by doing the 50km you wont have to pay the high price of entry. :) The first 40 odd km of the 100 hurt like hell.
am pretty familiar with the Forrest tracks so definately looking forward to the race :)
I see you are doing the 100km Jim, 29er or 26er?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
am pretty familiar with the Forrest tracks so definately looking forward to the race :)
I see you are doing the 100km Jim, 29er or 26er?
29HT, I pretty much bought the bike for the OO type events. Just hope the rapidly aging body copes with all the training I intend to throw at it. :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just on the topic of training, what are you guys planning on doing?

I'm looking at 11 Hours per week of mtbing which includes (4 Hours weekend - might be on roadie or mtb long distance), should be 1000 metres a week ascent.

And 1 - 2 hours xtraining (run/weights).

cooken

Likes Dirt

I'm looking at 11 Hours per week of mtbing which includes (4 Hours weekend - might be on roadie or mtb long distance), should be 1000 metres a week ascent.

11 hours of mtbing a week is a quite a bit but 1000m of climbing isn't. Get out there and smash some steep climbs, quality not quantity.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Some random thoughts:

• About 4 rides a week.
  • 70% of my riding will be on the road, bouly laps in the early AM and evening. I find that road miles build solid endurance.
  • 1 or 2 weekly climbing sessions, can't hammer every ride. MTB or roadie at Kinglake, or my local Montsalvat loop.
  • 1 weekly functional strength, core session, (40 min.)
  • 1 Squat & deadlift session, not so heavy that you can't ride the next day (40 min).
  • At least one long ride a week.
  • Every 3rd or 4th week, take it very easy to let the body recover.
  • Increase the load by 10% every 2-3 weeks.