2012 Jekyll 4 vs 2013 Giant Reign 2

animalman86

Likes Bikes
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am looking for some advice regarding the purchasing of a new bike. I have narrowed it down to a 2012 Cannondale Jekyll 4 and a 2013 Giant Reign 2. I found some good information about the Jekyll on Pinbike, however I have not found a whole lot on the Reign (I am assuming because it is a relatively new model). I did perform some forum searches, but didn’t find much discussion about either.

I am returning to riding on dirt after a couple of years off, my skill levels are intermediate. I will not be launching off any 10ft drops (well not intentionally), but I will be taking it down some steepish hills. The bike will also be used for a bit of light XC, and romantic rides with the special lady.
I am looking for a multi-purpose bike that will keep things interesting on the trails, and hopefully not need too many upgrades.
At the moment the Jekyll is $400 more than the Reign, and a year older. From what I can see, the specs on both bikes are relatively similar. However, the Reign does have a dropper seat post and is slightly lighter.
I appreciate any feedback, especially from those that have actually ridden either of these on the trails.

Cheers

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember reading about the Jekyll, and it's supposedly 'over-mountain' genre (whereas Reign is just All Mountain). Probably just all hype that part, but doesn't the Jekyll have some fancy thing with the shock that turns it into more of a DH rig? Not like lockout or anything..

I should read on this more.

horsey

Likes Dirt
Clementz is the best rider of a bike in the world at the moment, and he sure makes the Jekyll look like an awesome bike when its built with his blackbox fork and XX1!

The reign sounds like a bit too much bike for the usage you described, where as the Jekyll I think switches between 90mm/150mm mode, so it can be a bit more XC if you ride it in that setting.