2011 trance => 2015 commencal am v4 parts switch - advice pls

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
hey all

I got a 2011 trance about 8-9 months ago as my first real bike and i think i'm ready for medium big boy wheels :cool:

Im after some brains trust advice on which bits should be ok to switch over from the trance to my 2015 am v4 frame, and also which parts on either frame are worth switching over/keeping or just replace.

99% sure it was this frame (the shocks, bb and headset cups match)

and the donor - https://99spokes.com/en-AU/bikes/giant/2011/trance-x1

The commencal frame came with a 30mm raceface bb. No middle barrel thing, just the bearings - but i think that's ok because the BB is sealed, there's no holes for cables etc
debonair shock
and zs44/zs56 cane creek 40 cups only
and I bought a 2016 pike rct3 160mm fork

Stuff im keeping off the trance that i'm pretty sure will fit?
m8000 11sp xt groupset & brakes
the handlebars and clamp thingie

Things i'd like to keep but dont fit
xt crankset with nw 32t ring (24mm spindle). I checked it for width and it 'looks' ok
30.9 dropper - planning on shimming it for now

Stuff that I know I need

The BB thats in the commencal frame still looks and spins really smooth, but is so good its worth trying to find 30mm cranks? When looking online i can get a XT bb for 35-40$ (pressfit 92) so i dont think it's even worth popping out the old xtr one out of the trance frame

headset - the v4 frame only came with the cups.. I've moved the bearings over from the trance frame (semi integrated vs fully integrated) and although it "works" there are a few too many gaps here and there. It doens't look like it's worth it getting the replacement bearings/crown race/top cover/top cap/bolt for the cane creek. Cheaper to just replace it.

rear axle - 50+ bucks for an m12 bolt fmd

wheels - just standard 27.5 15x100 front 12x142 rear. I have a set of 26in dt swiss 350/240 in that spacing so I can roll around on them til I get replacements

Is there anything I DONT know that I missed?? or bad assumptions? So that I can go directly to the WTB thread and back to my bike without passing through the fuckwit confessional.
I want to avoid buying the wrong thing or selling something I actually need...

Attachments

moorey

call me Mia
Brakes may need longer rear hose. Unsure of the routing.
My advice re BB is to ditch the PF and get a threaded converter to fit your current cranks.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Jakub you could find 30mm Raceface cranks but prolly easier to change it to Shimano standard for the XT crank as Moorey says avoid PF.
Headsets are one of the more complicated bits just try to put something simple in there with the Pike fork.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
thanks guys
The trance is pf as well from what i can tell, so the cranks should be ok in another pressfit as long as the holes 24mm? is pressfit really that bad that i should fit an adapter? cant be harder to get out than a shock bushing... Looks easier in fact, the tool is just a pipe with one end Xed and flared

I have a 1m long threaded rod from a diff diy project so i can make a press from that to put the new one in

moorey

call me Mia
thanks guys
The trance is pf as well from what i can tell, so the cranks should be ok in another pressfit as long as the holes 24mm? is pressfit really that bad that i should fit an adapter? cant be harder to get out than a shock bushing... Looks easier in fact, the tool is just a pipe with one end Xed and flared

I have a 1m long threaded rod from a diff diy project so i can make a press from that to put the new one in
Some people have luck with PF. The only 2 bikes I've ever owned that were PF, creaked like my knees in the morning, and flogged out quickly...repeatedly. I can tell which mates run PF on a ride. I converted Felix's DH bike to threaded after getting 2 races out of the original PF.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
same, I never had any creaks from the trance.. but I'm pretty light, ~65kg. And @ 35 bucks its not much of a loss if the xt bb doesn't work out

so that means immediate needs are a headset and axle!

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Brakes may need longer rear hose. Unsure of the routing.
Yes I hadn't thought of that! I'll lay it out when i get home. They were pretty long on the trance though - if you look @ the tow pic there's that cable tied bunch above and in front of the handlebars so hopefully it's all good

moorey

call me Mia
Yes I hadn't thought of that! I'll lay it out when i get home. They were pretty long on the trance though - if you look @ the tow pic there's that cable tied bunch above and in front of the handlebars so hopefully it's all good
I'm viewing on a phone with bad eyes. I'm flattered you think I can see that. :p

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
headset - the v4 frame only came with the cups.. I've moved the bearings over from the trance frame (semi integrated vs fully integrated) and although it "works" there are a few too many gaps here and there. It doens't look like it's worth it getting the replacement bearings/crown race/top cover/top cap/bolt for the cane creek. Cheaper to just replace it.
Both frames are semi-integrated heasets. Knock the cups out of the Commencal and consign to the spare parts box, and knock the cups out of the Trance & press into the Commie so you swap the whole headset over.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Both frames are semi-integrated heasets. Knock the cups out of the Commencal and consign to the spare parts box, and knock the cups out of the Trance & press into the Commie so you swap the whole headset over.
!!! I hadn't realised because the cups are silver like the frame. But yeah knocked them out!

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Thanks all slowly getting there!

The bb removal tool and press I put together was so good I decided to knock out one side twice and redo it!
I spotted the spacer after I’d pressed it in and looked at the trance to see if it had it - shit it does
knock It out, add spacer and press in again. Go to install cranks but it looks wrong. Read the manual and the spacer requirement is based on shell width. The amV4 is already 92mm. Time to knock it out and put it back in

The headset cups were hard though. Kept going in crooked so I gave up and just jammed the bike into a vice and squeezed them with that instead