2011 Gaint TCR... T600 vs T700?

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at buying my first road bike after many years MTB riding. I am currently considering either the 2011 giant TCR composite (T600 carbon) and the TCR 2 Advanced (T700).

Unfortunately, I can't simply take the bikes for a days ride, and only have the usual carpark test to try them out. So, I was wondering if anyone here has much experience with these models or riding frames of different modulus of carbon. What are you opinions of the various models?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both bikes have 105 groupset, OEM giant bars, stem and fork. The TCR 2 Advanced (t700 frame) has DT swiss R1800 wheelset compared to Giant OEM wheelset on the TCR 2 composite (T600 frame).

Weight.
TCR 2 composite was 8.7kg
TCR 2 advanced was 8.2kg

Cost (rrp)

TCR 2 composite: $2200
TCR 2 advanced: $3000

So, my decision is comming down to whether frame material (hence my question), DT wheels and 500g is worth an extra $800.

Last edited:

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Youll end up upgrading the wheels on either of those bikes, so dont let the wheels factor into your decision.

Danman89

Likes Bikes
The question is are you going to race on it and are you a weight weenie?

The Advanced frames are stiffer and lighter. Which would be the better choice for racing.

If you are just riding for fun and dont neccarsarily want to spend a lot more money, go for the comp or maybe even the Defy which has a more relaxed geometry.

toby

Likes Dirt
Go the higher grade of carbon if you can afford it.

Toray 700 (T700) will be stiffer and therefore they can use less.. means it will be lighter.

floopz

Squid
The TCR Advanced 2 is equivalent to the old C2. The Composite series is a different geometry and a made from a different carbon and probably closer to the Defy series. If you want a racier stiffer feel, go the Advanced 2.

Personally, I would go the Advanced, I used to ride a C1 (T700) and found the geometry and feel of the bike very comfortable and responsive.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
there are many better bikes for the money.

giant 'carbon' frames. good one.

For $3k you can get a cannondale six w/ 105, which is a genuinely good frame. Or a synapse alloy 5 with 105, which would get you in a better position for a first roadie than anything giant offer. $1700. Chuck on a nice set of wheels and its good to go.

melbnut

Likes Bikes
Thanks for rubbishing my new ride Dunlop... There may be reasons there are so many giants being ridden. They provide a good entry level bike with a good frame and components for a reasonable amount of cash.

redbruce

Eats Squid
+1. Where was Dunlop when the OP was seeking advice before he bought it.

As for "genuinely good frame"- give us a break.

Giants TCR bike won Cycling Plus (UK) bike of the year in 2009 and Cannondale 6 won last year.
Unlike Australian (or even American) bike magazines, Cycling Plus dont hold back any any punches on whats good and not so good so for what you want either is more than adequate.

As for value, well thats what Giant are widely recognised as excelling in.

If you have nothing useful to say (in this case because its after the event) - dont.

Anthem_Pete

Likes Bikes
Hey Turley,

I recently purchased a TCR ADV 2 about 2 week ago.

I was a bit hesitant at first with the TCR Adv with 105 vs the TCR Comp Ultegra on the composite 1 but after talking to LBS told me the 105 (on Advanced) vs the bottom level Ultegra (on Composite) were on par and I should go for the better frame.

Regarding wheels The DT Swiss really aren't that heavy to turn over, wack some Maxxis Re-fuse on them an the make a great training wheel in all conditions.
Their still true after riding on rough country roads after about 150km of pushing them pretty hard. And if you are going to race put some lighter wheels on when you wallet says you can.

As for the T700 frame it is awesome, really stiff and responsive when you put the foot down and also handles brilliantly.

If you wait just a bit the price of the adv is coming down from $3000 to close to the Comp 2 price and try and get a good relationship going with you LBS and they will likely take a bit more off the price.

Oh and shifters are better on the Adv which make all the difference

Hope this helps

Pete

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks.. I was hoping i hadnt just bought something rubbish.
Nah, The Roadie community are just a bit quicker to slag non-exotica than MTBers.
I was talking to a guy recently who with a straight face told me no good road bike had ever come out of the US, and if it wasn't italian it was by definition a piece of crap.
Way I figure it my crappy old bike (TCR C1) gave me over 3000 trouble free k's last year and a lot of fun, it'll do nicely. :cool:

i agree with a previous post about trying out the defy for a few reasons. i think coming from a mountain bike to road bike you will appreciate the larger gear range of the defy compared to the sprinting groupset on the tcr models, they can be a real itch on hills. geometry is more comfortable -ie less stretched out than the tcr (for sprinting). and also, why do you need a carbon frame? answer is you prob don't. aluminium is good stuff too and most will have carbon forks anyway. umm they're cheaper too.

floopz

Squid
Nice to see you picked the Advanced. You can always upgrade the groupset at a later stage. The 105 stuff will work well for a while anyway.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
I'm in the process of making a similar decision probably between the next level (ultegra level) bikes. I'm coming off a roadie with 105 that's close to 10kg.

At my LBS the Advanced is $3,300 and the Composite is $2,600. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Comp and trying to cut a bit of a deal to upgrade the wheels and get out of it for around $3,000.

Am I wasting my time?
I'm definitely not a racer but I like to spend a lot of time on the bike so comfort is pretty important.

Other suggestions in the price range are welcome too, I've looked at the Merida 905 and an Apollo as well as the EMC equip 1.4

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
I'm in the process of making a similar decision probably between the next level (ultegra level) bikes. I'm coming off a roadie with 105 that's close to 10kg.

At my LBS the Advanced is $3,300 and the Composite is $2,600. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Comp and trying to cut a bit of a deal to upgrade the wheels and get out of it for around $3,000.

Am I wasting my time?
I'm definitely not a racer but I like to spend a lot of time on the bike so comfort is pretty important.

Other suggestions in the price range are welcome too, I've looked at the Merida 905 and an Apollo as well as the EMC equip 1.4

Do a search on bike exchange - Advanced 2 (105 setup) - $2399. Some dealers will be stuck with stock purchased at a higher price. Giant prices on advanced came down 20% after Christmas...... Talk with your LBS and if they can't help, then source some of these shops which must have the new stock. ;)

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Everyone,

I ended up buying the TCR 2 Advanced just before Xmas.

I tried out the defy 1, defy advanced 2, TCR 2 Composite and the TCR 2 Advanced before making my decision.

My opinion of the bike were:

Defy 1 was a good bike, 105 components. It was a good bike that simply worked.

Defy 1 advanced was also a good bike, but what I didn't like about this bike is how smooth it was! I certainly is a great bike, but I wanted a road bike that felt like what I think a road bike should feel... and this was a bit more like a rigid MTB.

TCR 2 composite was a good bike, but it simply didn't feel as nice as the TCR 2 advanced. It didn't transmit the feeling of the road as well as the advanced and just felt a little bit less lively than the advanced.

TCR 2 advanced I ended buying because I felt it gave me the best feeling for the road. It is a very responsive bike and after riding it, when it isn't raining, I have become much more confident bombing down hills on it! My only complaint is that white rims are a pain to clean.

thanks for all the advice

Turley

Last edited:

floopz

Squid
The Comp is 'supposed' to have a more relaxed or upright geometry better suited to your recreational rider whereas the Advanced has a more 'racier' geometry. I never felt the Advanced geometry to be to out there. TBSM and bikes.com.au have a deal on Ksyrium Elites atm if after a wheel upgrade. They are the wheels the Advanced 1 ran last year.

Def check bike exchange. One of the bike shops in Melb has the Advanced 1 for $3100