2011 Anthem 29er x1 - cracked frame

notime

Likes Dirt
Cool new shock!!

Hopefully mine will come in this week. Have you got a pic built up? Did you have the silver/blue build before? just wondering how it looks with the white, red and black frame.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
ok, see if this works

58200_10200557943337818_1672633699_n.jpg

downside is the new shock is a monarch RL, which is a 2 position shock, but the previous was the RT3 - ie 3 position

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Well the rt3 on the rockshox website is $50 more expensive with an extra feature , so I suppose so , would I swap a rt3 in need of service for a brand new rl - no

notime

Likes Dirt
I got my new frame, looks much better than the old silver job. The new frame is made in the Netherlands which suprised me.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
2011 Anthem X 26" replaced last week. Crack just under the seat post where it meets the frame also. A little bit of fluffing around and my bike went from black to white but the 2012 SL 1 Carbon/Alloy replacement was given so far so good.
Well a few months after I received the 2012 Anthem SL 1 replacement cracked same spot. Giant were helpful directly on the phone but waiting on options via the LBS and bikeless again.

jhenry

Likes Bikes
I just noticed a very faint crack line in my Anthem x29 2011 (polished silver one) top tube, seat tube junction. LBS said its a crack for sure. I also have cracks on the small bridge like arms down where the shock bolts on for over a year. I'm not to bothered about it as the bike has seen some serious use with a lot of muddy ride, so the pivot barring are pretty contaminated. A new frame would will be awesome.
Has anyone been given the same colour frame a couple of years after purchase? Or always the current series?

teK--

Eats Squid
With all the current series being 29er where are they getting stock to replace cracked 26er frames?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Giant are still selling 26er Anthems in other markets, so Giant Oz just buy in frames from the factory if they need to. I had to wait about 6 weeks for one last year after my '08 model frame began to crack. It happened at the time of year when the 2012 models (when 26ers were still current Aus spec) were pretty much all gone, so a spare frame wasn't immediately available.

moa

Likes Bikes
link failure @ anthemx29 issues

Just saw the thread after dropping my 2012 29er off to the lbs. I noticed on some other threads other issues as well that I have had which include.
Rear shock seals. Blew the seals on an easy ride mostly fire trail and smooth single track just a couple of dips which loaded up the up the rear end. The shock was sent away for a rebuild and came back only to loose pressure after about a week. The lbs was pretty good during this they put in an alternate fox shock while the rock shock was in service. Finally they just ended up giving me a new shock off another bike and sorted out the details with Giant.
Creaking through the frame, pulled the whole bike down to try and locate it need up putting a dab of grease between the rear hanger and the frame which sorted it out. Still seem to get a bit of noise when I reef on the bars, I have pulled the headset apart and given it a lube, very dry bearings from the factory!
Finally last week I broke the lower link on the non drive side. Stood up on a bitumen section of hill to give a roady a hard time and BANG! The lbs guys said it was a new one for them.
The bike has done over 3000km mainly on easy trails and road in the alps (currently touring Europe) I actually really like the bike just wanted to know if I should expect anything else as it seems I have had most of the issues with exception of the main triangle failure of the frame.
The lbs here in europe has been good they set me up with a reign demo bike while I am waiting to get back on my bike planning some gravity runs while I have it, though I find the 29 er as good as any 5" bike I have ridden over rough ground.

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sucks mate but don't stress too much. My replacement was quick and smooth.
Cool, I actually rang the other day to buy a frame and nothing in stock so hopefully warranty frames are kept separate

Maybe I can convince them to upgrade to a carbon or XL

Going to have to drive to work for a while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Cool, I actually rang the other day to buy a frame and nothing in stock so hopefully warranty frames are kept separate

Maybe I can convince them to upgrade to a carbon or XL

Going to have to drive to work for a while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yeah ended up with 2013 frame but a 2014 shock.