2010 Glory or 09 Team Sunday?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm just getting into DH and am selling my (very pimped) 2010 Giant Reign 1 to upgrade to a dedicated DH bike. At the moment I'm tossing up between a 2010 Glory DH1 and an 09 Ironhorse Team Sunday X. I've had a test ride on the Glory and it seems incredibly light, probably under 17kg which is very appealing, but I can't get any info on what the Sunday weighs. Has anyone ridden both of these bikes and could offer advice on the best option. I'm a reasonably competent rider and can handle most stuff like Mt Buller, Big Hill and the dedicated DH tracks at the youies (sans creek jump on track 10 at the moment - scares me on a 6" bike).

Bilza_ridez

Banned
dh

the iron horse i reckon is the best way to go it has a great look and its very soft
i haven't really felt the glory dh 10 so i cant give an accurate description

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
hey,
I haven't ridden either
but I think it would be better to go for the giant.
1. cause if any major things happen to the frame like a crack etc u can get it repaired for nothing...
2.reliable bikes...
3.great specs...
and
4. looks the sh*t

hope that helped
haha

Nautonier

Eats Squid
So that's one vote for the Sunday and one for the Glory. The Glory does have really good gear on it, possibly better than the 09 Sundays. Not 100% on the Vivid 4.1 on the back though, I'm a Fox guy when it comes to rear shocks. Having said that I haven't ridden with a Vivid and I'm sure Giant wouldn't put a crap shock on the back of a bike like that. As far as the brakes are concerned, it's basically Avid Elixers vs Avid Code. I have used Elixers and they are freakin awesome, but I can't tell whether Codes are a higher or lower quality brake. Hopefully they are nothing like the Juicy range which is awful.

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
You've got the same problem as i had.. And i went for the Sunday Team X

In terms of differences,
the Glory is heavier and more of a plough bike in general.. Some people might have different opinions but they are the facts.
The Sunday isn't much of a difference in weight and is about 19 kg, its very plush and feels amazing through the rough stuff . It also has better cornering because of its lower bb which kind of makes you be careful when picking lines through a rock garden. But this isn't a bad thing.
But, the Glory does have a slightly better spec list and is a great value for money bike and always has been.
I hadn't riddin any of these two bikes before i bought the Sunday, and in the end it was everyone giving awsome reviews of them and the price being so low because of IH not following through next year that made me buy it.
Just go for a test ride on both if you can and see what you like better.
But if you buy a Sunday, you won't be dissapointed ;)

Cheers, jimmy

Nautonier

Eats Squid
3 votes Glory, 2 votes Sunday.

The Sunday sounds like an awesome bike, but after having looked around I think one with decent spec is out of my price range. I just found a 2010 Glory DH 1 new for $3150 which is an insane price so I think I'll go with that. Just have to figure out this highly confusing spring rate issue - I read a lot of posts on spring rates and used the calculators, but am even more confused than ever. I weigh 77kg kitted up and am thinking of swapping the 500lb spring to a 450 lb, but is that going to be light enough?

Thanks for the comments/advice

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
I run a 350 on my ironhorse and i weigh in at about 52kg.. I would say either 400-450 would be your best bet, just head down to your Local bike shop and ask for there advice, sit on a few of there DH bikes with different spring weights. You will find which one feels better for you.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
i totally agree with 400 - 450 but unfortunately the bike shop reckon i should start on the 500 which i think is gonna be way too hard. even the guys from giant recommend a 450 at least.

placebo

Likes Dirt
I've got an old sunday factory I've had for almost five years, my brother just got himself an '10 glory after not having a dh bike for about two years. I rode his glory at thredbo for a day three weeks ago, he had my bike for a day while I waited for his to be delivered and built then drove down with it. The new glory is a lighter and better performing frame than the old glory. More like a sunday in action and ergonomics than the older model. Heavy plow bike? Not so much. Medium Giants are longer now, and the larges get longer without getting too tall at the head or seat tube like they used to. The large giant is better fit for someone about 183cm who wants a longer frame (me), than a large sunday because the seat tube height is less (17.5 inches vs. 19). The linkage and seat stay arrangement is wider on the new glory than on a sunday, and this bugged me a bit.

I don't know how the 4.1 vivid performs on the frame, because we swapped it for a dhx 5 and ti spring I had left over from another bike. The lower shock eye doesn't use a bush on this frame, the hollow tube of the co-pivot just slides straight through the shock eye. Seriously, I'd buy a glory dh1, and change the tires. Then I'd order a BOS because a top level shock would be the only thing you could do to get any real improvement out of that bike, and the BOS would suit the colour scheme better than a CCDB. We changed bars, stem, seat and put some old cullys on but that's just window dressing really. Also, download the rockshox technical manual and give the fork a service checking oil levels. I rode one boxxer that weekend on another dh1 that hadn't been checked and it felt bad.

The linkage and bearings in 07+ sundays are far better than the first ones, especially if you take the time to read the available guides and assemble it properly and locktite everything that needs it with an appropriate grade (243 or 262). You can get bearing kits with the inbuilt spacers from enduro, and pearce cycles in the uk do some hardware as well. This is fine if you've got an old one and know not to expect any support from ironhorse because they've gone under, but I'd guess that any warranty support and service would be lacking in the traditional sense for a new purchaser. So if you wanted any problems resolved in a shorter time frame or an easier availability of spares I'd go the giant as the easier of the two choices. If you want you can get offset cups to get the fork angle on a sunday reduced a degree or two if you think that would help, whereas you can't with the giant.

For spring weights, I can't remember what a dh1 one ships with, but we used a 450lb 3 inch nuke proof spring on the 2.75 stroke dhx and it was fine for a 90-95kg rider with the boost chamber wound all the way out. As for being 52kg and running a 350lb spring for a sunday, I'd say that's way off from my personal experience. I've ran 350 on 5th element, dhx, and 375 when using a cane creek. TF Tuned: http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx tends to agree as well.