2010, 2011, 2012 giant glory opinions?

bobb

Likes Bikes
Thinking about buying second hand giant glory for around $2000. Any opinions on the bike? Likes, dislikes etc

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thinking about buying second hand giant glory for around $2000. Any opinions on the bike? Likes, dislikes etc
Don't get a 2012 model, the spec is way inferior. The best bang for buck you will find would be a 2010 00. I've seen these go for around the 2k mark. Just make sure whoever is selling it hasn't taken off all the (quality) stock parts and replaced them with rubbish. Or you could get a 2010 01 for about 1500 and the spec is still pretty good.

Put a -1.5 degree angleset on it and it will ride like a dream.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love mine, I have a 2011 glory. Apart from a few component issues which are just because of lots of use/crashes, the bike has never let me down. Can handle everything that I throw it's way and more. I'm sure there's better bikes out there but it definitely is great value for money and is a very solid performer.

needaride

Likes Dirt
Got a 2010 Glory 01, have upgraded the spec a bit - but out of choice more than necessity. Awesome bike.

Mr King

Likes Dirt
Get the 2011 00 (Grey/Black/Gold). The 2010 00 (Grey/Blue), cracks at the inside join of the top tube and seat tube. Haven't heard of or seen a 2011 00 that has had the same problem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

senergy

Squid
I just bought a second hand 2010 01, great condition for 2K. While looking around I found that if you want a 00 you need to spend 2.5K to get a non thrashed one. I liked the combo of parts and frame colour on the 2010 01 better then the 2011 01, so I bought it.
Haven't done too many runs on it so far but I'm well happy.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Get the 2011 00 (Grey/Black/Gold). The 2010 00 (Grey/Blue), cracks at the inside join of the top tube and seat tube. Haven't heard of or seen a 2011 00 that has had the same problem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
I got told this would happen to a 2011 00 if I bought one by a hater, I'm 87kgs and don't ride it lightly and havnt hurt it, I changed the HA 1.5 like someone else said to do as well, and I put atomlab/Chris king wheelset on it cos I annihilated the dt back rim, saint hubs were perfectly fine but I wanted to see some gold hubs on there

youngi

Likes Bikes
I picked up a 2010 00 late last year for 2100, a bit twitchy but the 1deg angleset seems to have worked well. A great value bike well worth it.

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
No. I am not wrong, he asked for opinions and i am stating mine.

There were some aspects i did like about it, it was light, easy to pedal and they jump really well. I found it very unstable at high speed and all types of corners, probably the worst bike to corner it felt very awkward and found you cant really push into corners with much confidence. Geometry was fuckin weird,feels like a dj bike with dh suspension.

Yes they are good bang for buck, thats about it really, can not see how people actually think theyre good bikes, people rave about them and i just found it to be... awful.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt

There were some aspects i did like about it, it was light, easy to pedal and they jump really well. I found it very unstable at high speed and all types of corners, probably the worst bike to corner it felt very awkward and found you cant really push into corners with much confidence. Geometry was fuckin weird,feels like a dj bike with dh suspension.

Yes they are good bang for buck, thats about it really, can not see how people actually think theyre good bikes, people rave about them and i just found it to be... awful.
Was the problem with the geometry that it was too steep of a HA? Because that could easily be changed with an angle set. Also out of interest, for people who have installed them to make the HA 1-1.5 degrees slacker, is the performance difference worth the $$$? And other than cane creek angle sets what else is out there?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Was the problem with the geometry that it was too steep of a HA? Because that could easily be changed with an angle set. Also out of interest, for people who have installed them to make the HA 1-1.5 degrees slacker, is the performance difference worth the $$$? And other than cane creek angle sets what else is out there?
Works Components angle-sets, 1, 1.5 or 2 degree change, $130.

driftking

Wheel size expert

In terms of geometry they run what 65 degrees, that is plenty slack for AUS tracks, we don't have anything supper steep or high speed. Most people did say the glory suits a slacker angle but really people need to understand and feel the geometry and not just do what everyone else does. I used to ride dh with a fr rig with a 67degree HA and the frame was too small with a smaller WB than a small IH (which was known as been tiny), did it hold me back in places yes, was I any slower than my mates.....no.

As for the issue with the glory, some riders just don't suit certain bikes but I would bet that the issue was not the glory but was the set up, no confidence in corners?, the maestro design is great for grip, was the issue a rear or front? on my old rig I loved the maestro always felt very planted and very supple. What was it about the bike that you felt wasn't right? how did it behave when you pushed it? I'd bet it was a set up issue or sizing.Also what was the stability issue was it a rear or front issue and was it grip or movement stability? did you come off a slacker bike prior? I came of a very small tight bars and steep HA so going to a dh bike with 65 the bike at first almost felt too stable until I adapted to it, while HA has some significant changes in ride quality the riders adaption is what matters.
I rode a older fr glory so no I am not a glory rider aha before you think I am bias And I currently ride a commencal.

To the Op, glories are probably "the entry level bike" with specialized now catching up. As others have said steer clear of the 2010 models they had seat tube cracking issues and the 2012 models build spec was poor with there collaboration with sram, the 2011 was the best year for the glory, with the frame been fixed of issues and a top quality fox build they were virtually impossible to beat for the price. The good thing about the glory is that while it is entry level it is not going to hold a rider back, it is a bike that is purely dependent on the rider ability that is a newbie can ride one as a entry bike and you can take it to a WC and ride it with no limitations of the bike. It is a very a safe bet for a first or upgraded entry bike.
The HA debate, look in all honesty there is nothing wrong with its Geo, if it is the right size for you you will be fine, the geometry is within a reasonable range its not running a 67 or 69 HA its not super high, all the numbers are what you would expect from a DH bike, damn a few years ago the geo would be spot on, but because the WC moved to slacker of course everyone needs slacker at this time. Many people use it almost as a excuse.
The glorys do seem to suit a slacker HA so get a CC angle set and throw it out to 64 if you like, however as a newbie you wont need to go slacker, the faster you go and steeper the track then you go then you can go slacker. I'm running a 65 right now on my commencal and by no means would be considered slow. buck up people and ride the damn bike.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The performance difference is massive and well worth the small amount of money ($150 - $250). Slackening the HA also (slightly) lowers the BB, which I found improved the cornering. My first DH bike was a 2010 Glory and I liked it a lot, but as my riding got more aggressive I found myself wanting a slacker HA and lower BB. An angleset was a lot cheaper than a new bike. And as DK says, the setup makes a huge difference. When I brought mine I was running a 500lb spring on the back and something equally stiff in the forks which wasn't giving me anywhere near enough sag and made the bike ride way too high in its travel.

I now ride a Demo and although I prefer it to the Glory, I wouldn't say the difference between the 2 bikes (when the Glory had the angleset) was massive.

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
as what has already been said i think, the 2011 glory 00 is probrably the best value for money as you are getting a sweet bike that isn't to expensive.