2009 Sping Classics Thread

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
The spring seasons starts this weekend with the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (formerly Het Volk), got to love the cobbles.

Boonen for the win?

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tough one to choose a winner as it's first "real" race of the year and people may be saving themselves for Sunday. Pity the forecast is for fine and warm conditions, I'm hoping for a classic season with classic weather....

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Dutch riding friends are talking up Maarten Tjallingii for a big result this year and Martijn Maaskant had a ripper last season. It'll be interesting to see what he can do being a year older.

setonz

Likes Dirt
Its about time Leif Hoste brought his game ...... might be one of the Columbia boys as they have a pretty strong squad for the classics this year.
GOD i hope Big George wins Roubaix!

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
A bit off topic, but did anybody watch the Tour of Qatar on sbs this morning at 12? started a new job at 12 and forgot to tape it, pretty pissed off now.

setonz

Likes Dirt
For K.B.K. tonight

1:Sebastian Lang (silence/lotto)
2:Sébastien Chavanel (fdj)
3:Aurélien Clerc (ag2r)

William Frischkorn (garmin)as my darkhorse

davidtcr

Likes Bikes
I watched at least some of the Tour of Qatar, although I do wish SBS would put their cycling on just a bit later. I always find that 12 is just when I want to start doing a few things before making lunch, so I rarely get to really watch until at least 12:30.

Anyway it was pretty good, they have some amazing roads there, just dead straight through the desert with not a bush in site. The aeriel shots really show the echelons working. One stage they had a tail wind, and seemed to be sitting on 60+ for most of the stage - crazy speeds.

setonz

Likes Dirt
Montepaschi Strade Bianche - Eroica Toscana

On tonight our time, any predictions?
No Cancellarra or Kolobnev for Saxo bank (both previous winners)

Maybe O'Grady to show some form for April?

CD24

Likes Bikes
The 100th Milano-Sanremo is on tomorrow, who's your pick. Boonen or Hoshovd for me. Maybe Allen Davis as the dark horse.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Daniele Bennati, Pettachi, Boonen, Hausler, O Grady

Cavendish is too fat and young to get over all the climbs.

setonz

Likes Dirt
Climbs? There's like four climbs and none are even classified????
Correct...and with Lokvist and Hincapie working for him he got over them fine. Honestly looked like Hausler was going to win it though, Wonder how the conversation with Hushovd went after the finish?

alexb618

Likes Dirt
Daniele Bennati, Pettachi, Boonen, Hausler, O Grady

Cavendish is too fat and young to get over all the climbs.
cav seems to be able to cope with climbs a lot better this season than last... but its only early days so lets see what happens in the grand tours

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Amstel Gold Race

A race named after a beer.

There hasn't been an aussie on the podium since Phil Anderson won in 1983, perhaps a chance for Hausler this weekend?

toby

Likes Dirt
A race named after a beer.

There hasn't been an aussie on the podium since Phil Anderson won in 1983, perhaps a chance for Hausler this weekend?
Bit early to claim him as he is still racing under the German flag me thinks...

I have a bad feeling that young Mr Hausler may be getting some assistance, and I'm certainly not the only person to be concerned. Some of his performances this year have been a little too good perhaps?

And back on topic.. If you want to support an Aussie what about Gerrans or Lloyd? Matty went well last year until he crashed and Simon was showing top early season form. His start to the year has been very different to usual eg no TDU, perhaps this new approach could now bear some fruit?

My tip for the finale on the Cauberg... Gilbert or Rebellin.

Its a good race, i was there last year, and will be glued to the TV come Sunday night

Last edited: