2009 Boxxer Teams vs 2008 Boxxer World Cups

gooser

Likes Bikes
Hi, as you can guess from the title, my question is, performance wise, which is better. I guess the World Cups, though not sure, any help would be good, as maybe I can upgrade my 09 forks to 08 forks (WHAT!) without losing any money!
Cheers guys.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its all about preferance really, some people preffer air where as some preffer spring, if you've never tried the world cups and can do it at no cost, i say go for it. I have world cups and love them.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The big thing about the world cups is the fact that they are air sprung and therefore the spring rate can be adjusted far more and easier then the teams. They are also easier to service, as well as being lighter then the teams. In terms of adjustment the teams/world cups are the same. As stringbean said some people prefer the feel of teams over the world cups. Its really up to you wether you want the world cups but again if you can get them for no cost Id say go for it.

Last edited:

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The big thing about the world cups is the fact that they are air damped and therefore the spring rate can be adjusted far more and easier then the teams. They are also easier to service, as well as being lighter then the teams. In terms of adjustment the teams/world cups are the same. As stringbean said some people prefer the feel of teams over the world cups. Its really up to you wether you want the world cups but again if you can get them for no cost Id say go for it.
They're not air damped, they're air sprung. They're not easier to service either. A lower lube is exactly the same, but servicing the soloair assembly takes a dam sight more care and time than greasing a spring.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the new BoXXer Team feature Mission Control over Motion Control? Then again, thats all adjustable in the '08 WC anyways right?

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the new BoXXer Team feature Mission Control over Motion Control? Then again, thats all adjustable in the '08 WC anyways right?
It's all a bit confusing as to which year these new fangled boxxers actually are.

The 09' boxxer teams are the red ones with just motion control.

That said, a mate at a bike shop said the new mission control ones would be available in about a month or two, so I guess they're also 09's. I suppose people have gotton so used to the stupid once a year change of frame and part design's, that when someone decides to have new model filter in after a recent change in model year people go into convoltions.

It would all be simpler if everyone stopped releasing next year's things before next year.

gooser

Likes Bikes
Re;

Agreed, very confusing. New things are nice though and people on the whole are impatient. Anyway, the feeling I get is go for it, 08' WC are better performing forks than 09' Teams.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Dilzy, I just jumped on the Rock Shox site...if you click on the new 'Team', Damping is stated as Motion Control DH (as opposed to Motion Control IS on the 'Race' fork) In either case, on the 'WC' and 'Team' forks, the little Mission Control logo is illuminated also...maybe this is 'Motion Control DH'. Iunno. e-Speculation at its finest I tells you! :D

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It also say's they have 32mm stantions. I'd take what the rockshox website say's with a grain of salt.

I think they mean Mission control DH, as the DH bit adds high speed rebound adjustment.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're not air damped, they're air sprung. They're not easier to service either. A lower lube is exactly the same, but servicing the soloair assembly takes a dam sight more care and time than greasing a spring.

Thanks my mistake about the air damped. Most people who own comment on how easy they are to service and watching a few videos on servicing always show how easy it is/ how quick it is.

udi

swiss cheese
From what's available RIGHT NOW - the 09 Team is the same as 08, except with red lowers. That means it has 32mm stanchions, motion control damper, and the updated 08 lowers (stronger/stiffer). So yes, the 08 WC is a better fork. It has the same chassis and damper as the team, but is air sprung and therefore lighter and more tuneable; not much more to it.

The new 35mm boxxers aren't available yet. I believe about three came into the country recently for testing purposes, and one of them is on Lindsay's bike at the moment to my knowledge. For everyone else though, not for love or money.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think this is a pretty stupid question really..

08 World cups are an air sprung "race" fork..
while 09 teams are a spring everyday version..

there is a small amount of weight difference, if weight bothers you get world cups.. and start losing some weight (really).

but id go with teams for the average rider.. a great fork.. and the new 09's can only be better!

dhd

Downhill Direct
So yes, the 08 WC is a better fork. It has the same chassis and damper as the team, but is air sprung and therefore lighter and more tuneable; not much more to it.
Sorry Udi there is more to it. I have just come off '08 World Cups and gone to '09 Teams.....Why? because they feel better. If weight is your only consideration then I guess you can say they are better. For my money though, less servicing hassle and a better feeling fork constitutes better; not much more to it. ;)

Dougy

Likes Dirt
As was said above "for the average ride go with the Teams". The WC is an awesome fork but it does require a lot of servicing. It's mean't as a race fork and needs to be serviced very regularly to maintain the air spring. A service kit is going to run you about $50 for all the o-rings etc. Oil change is easy and most people should be able to do it but servicing the air spring takes more time and requires you to know what you're doing to do it correctly. People will probably post stuff like "I've never serviced my WC and it works fine". It may go up and down but it won't be working as sweet as it should.

There's 300g difference and my personal feeling is that the coil sprung Teams are smoother and more progressive even before you start playing with the damper. I've run Motion Controlled Teams for the last few years and 100s of runs at Thredbo and the only problem I ever had was I wore out the Motion Control seals. That was wear and tear from working as an instructor that the average rider probably won't come across.