"2008 Specialized Brain"

I have heard about a mate that had a lot of problems with the "2008 specialized brain". Ie it only lasted a month, needed replacing and then so on and so on the cycle continued with new brain after brain supplied.

There seems to be no mention of this on this site yet the American site MTB.com seems to have a few occurences of people having replacment brain after brain.

Anyone had any experience with this?

A mate is about to buy and I would like to suss it out before he makes the purchase.
Is Specialized redesigning so they can supply a replacment that doesn't fail?

For what I hear Specialized are providing good customer service as far as warranty and replacments goes but down time, resale and what happens in the end is a concern.

For what its worth I have a 2006 FOX brain and think it is a great thing and haven't ever had a problem.

bardles

Likes Dirt
Thinking about making the same purchase - have a couple of mates who have had no problems but am definitely keen to hear of anyone who has had problems

Brad

rocketman87

Likes Bikes
my girlfriend has gone through 2 of the specialized brains in 2 months. very frustrating when training for elite in the national series. Specialized support has been acceptable, but I put that down to the fact that she is a partially sponsored rider. Wouldnt buy one myself.

Mr Green

Likes Dirt
There are many 'safer' and more reliable options like fox, dt swiss etc. than to risk the stuff around with a 'brain' shock IMO.

Mooy

Likes Bikes
I have a mate who has had the same problem, brain shock dies after about a month, has been through 3 now and that one is on the way out. Specialized will not replace it until it is fully gone though...:mad:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I have an 07 stumpy expert, I ride a fair bit and only had the rear shock and rear brain fully serviced last month. So yeah, I am happy with mine...

What exactly is going wrong with the brain? Is it making your rear suspension always active or not letting it activate at all?

GSMatrix

Cannon Fodder
I have a 2007 Epic with a Fox brain, it has performed perfectly no hassles. No experience with the Specialized models so can't comment there.

krisko

Likes Dirt
I bought a new Epic and had it for 8 months. In that time I had 3 warranty repairs all being on the brain.
It would completely lock, get notchy as in would give like a normal shock but then firm up rock solid mid travel.
It seriously affected my fun factor and I sold it after the third warranty repair.

Apart from this the bike was great but there are other great bikes out there.
I now ride an ANthem 0 and would not go back refardless of there being no problems, if this could be guaranteed.

The brain has its problems like rolling irregualrities, It will lock open lock open etc but may miss a bump or two in between making for an edgy ride. This made epic rides hurt your lower back.

A good system like the maestro will lose very very little in efficiency but be reliable every time for things like rolling irregularities and prove invalauble in races like Stromlo were you have a fast downhill section. You can open it fully (Can't reach the knob on the brain) then flick it to pro pedal.

A far more practicle setup that is easier on the back and looses little to a hard tail in things like crits, club races etc on a firmer propedal setup.

My 2 cents from experience.

Next bike will probably be an Anthem again or Scott Spark.....

ozveg

Squid
i have a stumpy expert '08 had it since march not had any issues with the brain, i am only 65kg and ride a small,giv'n it a hiding and no hiccups as yet.

ride hard or go home.