2007 National Championships is PRE-ENTRY ONLY

demo man

Used to be cool.

Just a reminder for everyone that the 2007 Australian National DH, MTNX, Trials and XC Championships to be held at Mt. Stromlo on Wednesday 24 January to Sunday 28 January - is a pre-entry only event. You must enter online before the end of Sunday the 21st of January.

Register Here

CORC are also calling for volunteers to help run these events. Duties are varied and cover all four disciplins. So please, encourage your freinds/family to help out, and if you have some spare time over the week please consider helping out yourself. If you are interested please email or phone Leanne Henderson on johnhendNOSPAM@pcug.org.au (remove NO SPAM) or 0414 524 689 or 6292 3687. Free food and some shwag is promised.

Last edited by a moderator:

benji101

Likes Dirt
Just a reminder for everyone that the 2007 Australian National DH, MTNX, Trials and XC Championships to be held at Mt. Stromlo on Wednesday 24 January to Sunday 28 January -

so i take it that the DH racing will be on 28th january? any event shedual yet?

cheers Ben.

Rush

Likes Dirt
If I remember correctly, last year that didnt apply to the trials crew.

Dont take it as gospel, because I was drunk.

demo man

Used to be cool.
If I remember correctly, last year that didnt apply to the trials crew.

Dont take it as gospel, because I was drunk.
Yuh, but last year it was run by a totally different organisation, and it was not for any disciplin pre-entry only. This year EVERY disciplin, including Trials, is pre-entry only. (don't mean to sound aggro, just making sure it's clear)

Last edited:

Macbeth

NSWMTB
This yeasr EVERY disciplin, including Trials, is pre-entry only.
Awesome, pre entry only, a huge entry fee and a course that hasn't even commenced construction yet...... That should keep the numbers nice and low :confused: Maybe next year we won't even need to hold a trials comp at all, wouldn't that be super :mad:

demo man

Used to be cool.
$44 is a huge entry fee is it? I'm not aware of the standard, but to me that doesn't sound like much. And it was $33 early bird entry..

and in terms of the course, it's my understanding that you're not allowed to ride the course before competition, so having it ready way before the event is almost irrelivant.

benji101

Likes Dirt
$44 is a huge entry fee is it? I'm not aware of the standard, but to me that doesn't sound like much. And it was $33 early bird entry..

and in terms of the course, it's my understanding that you're not allowed to ride the course before competition, so having it ready way before the event is almost irrelivant.
and if i rememeber at at lithgow the trails that was on there..the guys came and made up the corse the day before on saturday....there are plenty of big rocks around this place to ride over :p

Macbeth

NSWMTB
Actually at Lithgow the organisers thought "Hey, this place has some rad stuff for trials, let's invite them as they may enjoy it."

Whereas at Stromlo, they have gone..... "Yeah cool spot for XC, nice big hill for DH, we can get a shitload of sand in for 4X......" Then someone at the back coughed, and it kinda sounded like they said 'trials' but nobody really noticed.

Dude, you've seen Stromlo right...... Acres and acres of nothing over knee height...... Not exactly ideal.

But hey, MTBA gets upset when we have the trials nationals in a different state, and we better keep them happy :(

demo man

Used to be cool.
Yeah they do, because they want to make it easy for media and sponsors and people to see Trials. They want to give it more exposure.... what inconsiderate people they are.

If no-one from Trials wants to volunteer their time and help out with advocacy then FFS - you can't expect someone else to do it for you. CORC is working on a permanant Trials setup/area on Mt. Stromlo, and the people working on that aren't trials riders.

The Nationals will have a good course, as you saw at the Brindabella Challenege, it's not very hard to make a decent course out of imported materials (although, I expect the course to be FAR better than that of the BC anyway). It will be, as far as I am aware, build by local Trials riders, for Trials riders.

Oh, and I think you know that there is no sand on the MTNX track. It's a shitload of dirt.

Last edited:

Macbeth

NSWMTB
OK.... Let me first start by saying that I organise trials comps. Apart from work at a bike shop that's what I do.

The BC Course wasn't a good course. Hell, it wasn't a good practce/warm up area for a national comp. I have been in touch daily with the guys 'building' the trials course and as far as I am aware, there has been no work taking place as there has been limited funding/care regarding the trials course.

That is why I have trouble paing $44 to enter...... Most I have ever paid to ride in the Nationals was $30 by the way.....

Also, many riders decide which class to ride depending on the course. I know I myself am right on the cusp of Pro class and would happily ride pro if I saw a cours and i liked it..... Pre entry removes the ability to do this..... Just not very practical

Sand...... Dirt...... Call it what you want

Last edited:

Rush

Likes Dirt

In trials, that is more than normal, yes.

Having the course ready way before the event would be fantastic.

The sections dont get set until the day before, as long as you dont ride the taped out sections you are not breaking any rules.

demo man

Used to be cool.
Okay, well obviously you didn't like the course at BC. I guess the riders who organised that should be the ones copping the flak though...

TBH I have no idea what the go is with the Trials course. I would like it to be huge, look fantastic for TV and, it probably will.

Maybe you could ask the race organisers about it and then, if required, whige about it eh?

demo man

Used to be cool.
Just got off the phone with CORC President, Anthony Burton.

"We are in the process of negotiating to build a permanent trials area
including large amphitheaters that will allow more people to watch in
comfort - one of the first of its kind in the world .

We have set aside several thousand dollars to build a trails course (the
trials guys will need to build it)."

He also said that at the moment there are 2 riders entered in the Trials event, so that means that each $33-$44 entry is costing us over $1k. You're right, it's "a huge entry fee" and totally unfair.

Although, I mean the DH course cost $80,000 to build, and there are around 80 entrants at the moment. Pretty good value there too.

It's looking like a pretty good value event at the moment - that's not including the costs of running the race yet either, so damn, you guys are doing pretty well really!

Last edited:

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Just got off the phone with CORC President, Anthony Burton.

"We are in the process of negotiating to build a permanent trials area
including large amphitheaters that will allow more people to watch in
comfort - one of the first of its kind in the world .
Wouldn't expect anything less from Australia's premier venue.

We have set aside several thousand dollars to build a trails course (the
trials guys will need to build it)."
Then maybe you should have got in contact with McBeth and co to see what gear they will need to errect at trials course "befitting" the venue.

He also said that at the moment there are 2 riders entered in the Trials event, so that means that each $33-$44 entry is costing us over $1k. You're right, it's "a huge entry fee" and totally unfair.
Although, I mean the DH course cost $80,000 to build, and there are around 80 entrants at the moment. Pretty good value there too.
Did you honestly believe that pre-entries would flood in prior to Xmas and with more than 2 weeks before the race. You will find that entries will pick up from next week.

It's looking like a pretty good value event at the moment - that's not including the costs of running the race yet either, so damn, you guys are doing pretty well really!
Looks to me that someone has already started "counting chickens"
This is dangerous my friend, steer clear.
I have no doubt about this event being a success and even turning a modest profit for the promoters.
You sent me here

Rush

Likes Dirt
Okay, well obviously you didn't like the course at BC. I guess the riders who organised that should be the ones copping the flak though...

The course at BC was just fine for my standard of riding.

What I was laughing at is that you said that its not that hard to make a decent course out of imported materials.

Talk to any comp organiser and you might find different.

I am in no way trying to say any of this setting up of major trials venue is a bad thing. Its awesome.