2003 Dorado problem

Delbs

Likes Dirt
Hey guys ive got some pics to show exactly whats going on but i noticed after a ride the otherday this clicking noise..i thought it was my headset loose or something but i noticed (pics included) on the top of the right leg is this little round thing with grip on it to twist (no matter what way or how much u twist it its going no where, also it cant be pushed in..ive tried lol )...it has come up about 3 mm of the leg of the fork and thats what the clicking noise is when im riding (moving up n down) Any idea what it is or why it could of come out as ive been told i might need to rebuild the whole thing..are Dorados really that good to keep as im guessing a rebuild would cost me over a $200 or more n i can get another set for a couple hundred more... whats the best option or whats the damm problem? lol i have no idea neither does the LBS ,they said they would have to send them off to get rebuilt.. :mad:

Attachments

avablast

Likes Dirt
Dorados are primarily a DH race fork and need more frequent rebuilding to keep working properly than say a 888 or a sherman but i think it depends on wether its an open bath or sealed cartridge valved one either way looks like ur in for a rebuild

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
The rebound needle has unscrewed it self from the rebound shaft. that is why the knob is going around and not doing anything.

This can only happen if the allen head bolt that holds the rebound rod in has itself come undone. Which is not cool as it holds the rebound rod to the top cap.

What you need to do is pry the rebound knob out, use an allen key the same size as that on the rebound knob and wind the rebound needle in. If the neelde has unwound you will need to put downwards pressure on the needle while screwing it in to get it back in the threads. You should feel it bottom out. Then using a 10mm (i think) allen key make sure the hex head bolt is tightened all the way down. As said this holds the rebound shaft on and stops the rebound needle unscrewing.

Dorados are actually easy to service, $200 is a rip off, there is a huge thread on ridemknoey showing you how to do it. I used to own dorados and it was easy. If you can hold a spanner you can do it yourself.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35389&highlight=dorado+exposed

Delbs

Likes Dirt
Dorados are actually easy to service, $200 is a rip off, there is a huge thread on ridemknoey showing you how to do it. I used to own dorados and it was easy. If you can hold a spanner you can do it yourself.

Hey Thanks heaps for that i read it and will go and do it tomorrow..stuff the $200 price tag lol...i prefer to learn to do it myself instead of paying that price..Cheers guys:D

Delbs

Likes Dirt
2003 Dorado

Any idea what the Stem is called for that type of setup on the 2003 dorado? as they just dont exactly clamp onto the stem of the fork itself they bolt straight ontop of the tripple clamp on the fork...no twisted stems n bars after a crash i guess but is there a proper name or something for them?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Hey Thanks heaps for that i read it and will go and do it tomorrow..stuff the $200 price tag lol...i prefer to learn to do it myself instead of paying that price..Cheers guys:D
To fix your problem you don't need to do a full service, unless the rebound needle has come all the way out and leaked oil. Have you noticed any oil leakage around the knob???

If it has leaked at all you will need to rebleed to cart. The dorado feels like horse poo with even a little bit of air in it. Air makes the oil frothy and leads to damping peformance loss.

Follow the ridemoney instructions. When you bleed it take your time and make sure all the air bubbles comes out.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Any idea what the Stem is called for that type of setup on the 2003 dorado? as they just dont exactly clamp onto the stem of the fork itself they bolt straight ontop of the tripple clamp on the fork...no twisted stems n bars after a crash i guess but is there a proper name or something for them?
Integrated stem.

My advice to you would be to not run the stem.

In a crash it will twist the forks, it is a major pain to undo 10 sets of bolts to straghten the fork out. Major, major pain.

I also beleive that running the integrated stem contributed to me cracking the lower crown on my old dorados.

Keen an eye on the lower crown for hairline fractures, they have alot of material machined out to the point where i think its a little under built,

And finally, do not run the fork without rubber bumpers. One of my carbon legs cracked, i suspected it was from a tank slap so run thick rubber bumpers on it.

Good forks, they feel great when setup properly, but just look after them and keep an eye on what i just said.

Delbs

Likes Dirt
OH god i just went to the shed and popped off the cap of it and tightn it with the alen key and its gone lol the noise...and they were going to rebuild it? god i hope they werent thinking of charging me $200 for it :mad: ..But yes i just done it and now its sweet as hell...nah theres no leaking oil or frothing or anything so its all sweet i guess..:D. i just got a brand new set of Easton bars n they are oversized...was thinking of getting a new integrated stem oversized otherwise im going to have to get new forks n stem just to put on a new set of bars? i realise the problem with the integrated stem but i think thats still the cheaper option over a new set of forks plus a stem...id wait untill i crashed bad enough to break the forks so then id replace the whole lot .. Cheers :)

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Yeh, i can't see if you have enough steerer to run a normal stem. If you have enough steerer i would run a normal stem, if not you have no choice.

And oversize bars are a waste of time, letting your bars flex a little is a good thing :cool:

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
I can only imagine the reason the shop has quoted 200 for rebuild is due to the age and condition of the forks. When you open up a fork like that its rare to not find other issues/parts that need replacing. Parts are getting hard to find and as such they are more expensive. I rebuilt a set of these not long back and the springs in the TPC had disintegrated, a replacement was nearly $200- as the complete assembly was required. A quick fix with some similar springs saved a lot of coin, but stretched out the repair time and thus the expense. Many other small parts were needed- such as adjusters and bushing replacement. These all add up quickly.

I guess its better to over quote than get hit with a $200 bill after being quoted 50 bucks for a seal and oil change.

Ivan

Eats Squid
If you want a new integrated stem for your Dorado the cheapest option is to buy a Travis topcrown and integrated stem combo for about $160. The integrated stem of the travis will bolt straight onto your Dorado's and fits oversize bars. It also comes with the spacer for normal size bars.

Anyone want a travis top crown?:D

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont know if you can get the intergrated top crown and stem combo. You best bet would to ask Marcus at Manitou you can PM him his name is MANI2. I have one for my dorados and they kick ass. Although everytime you crash they twist a bit. You get over it after a while.

I will definatly have to regrease myne
That ride monkey thread is excellent.
Do i use grease or oil for 05 dorados. And where can i get it from.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I will definatly have to regrease myne
That ride monkey thread is excellent.
Do i use grease or oil for 05 dorados. And where can i get it from.
05 Dorados are significantly different internally than the earlier models, so regreasing them is a totally different process. You will need both grease (or engine assembly lube) and standard fork fluid to rebuild them.

Delbs

Likes Dirt
i popped the cap off, got the allen key. put a little pressure on it..twisted till nice fit and noise went away...saved myself $200 :) all done..Cheers guys

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
i popped the cap off, got the allen key. put a little pressure on it..twisted till nice fit and noise went away...saved myself $200 :) all done..Cheers guys
Make sure you did what i said.

The little size allen key is for the needle, the large size is for the bolt that holds the needle in and the rebound rod to the top cap. Make sure both are tight.