2002 Iron Horse SGS DH

XR51X

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of upgrading my current bike (Mongoose NX 9.7DH) and went and had a look at Rebel Sport today (only place here that seems to stock Iron Horses). They had an 02 model SGS DH, which they are really keen to get rid of.
I was more interested in getting an 04 model Team, but he reckons they can't get them in (Although I reckon I could get one elsewhere). He said he could do me a really good deal on the one they have in stock.
I was wondering if anyone knows what the main differences between the 02 DH model and the 04 Team model.
One thing I like about the 02 is that it has shivers (being an MX person, I've always liked the look of USD forks).

Also, how much does everyone think they would be worth? It has $6400 on it at the moment, but after talking to him about it for a few minutes, I asked if he'd take $5500 for it, and he said yes. And then he just called me back and said "I could do you a REALLY good deal on it" so yeh, just trying to figure out if I should just buy a current model, or if this one could be worth it.
:)

XR51X

Likes Dirt
Yeah, but I wanna know how much better the new team model is. The 02 does seem to have a few things going for it (cromo cranks, XTR components, etc) but I wanna know what the main advantages of the 04 model is.
Is the frame much of an improvement?
04 Boxxer teams would be better than 02 shivers wouldn't they? Sorry if this seems like such a n00b question, but yeh I'm just trying to find out what the better buy would be.
I guess it depends on what his "really" good price is as well.

lotec

Banned
04 frames have been beefed up a LOT take a look at the linkage and shock mounts and youll see what i mean, they had that bike on sale for 4800 hwen it was at chatswood and now its been moved to god knows where so see if you can get the price down even lower if you do go for it but are you still going to get warranty (you should) but being that its heaps old i dont know.... just a few points, i at one stage almost bought this bike, dont know why i didnt....

XR51X

Likes Dirt
haha, it's been moved to Woden Plaza (Canberra)
I asked the guy how long they'd had it for, and he said it had been in Chatswood for ages before they got it. I dare say it'd be the same bike then.

Maybe I will just look at getting an 04 Team and seeing if I can upgrade the forks to 888R's or something.

Fi

Chocolate Foot
My last bike was an 02 SGS Pro and my current bike is an 04 SGS Team! I put Boxxers on the 02 'cos I didn't want the Shivers from a weight point of view. Loved the bike, awesome spec, but it had a few minor issues - adjustable wheelbase nice idea but tricky getting wheel aligned and could only get gears to shift flawlessly in longish setting, bearings in Laserdisc front hub flogged out really soon (same problem with the Team, though - 3 days of riding & they were stuffed!), chain device worked well but the mount occasionally rotated 'cos there's nothing to attach the retention thingie to. Advantages of Team - awesome shock (6-way Swinger), beefier frame & linkage with bearings rather than bushings, love the SRAM X.9 trigger shifters & also Boxxer Teams. Just feels a way faster bike! Main pivot bolt has broken on both bikes but replaced with custom bolt and no probs since.

Teams retail at $5899, we can get them (I work at Raw NRG). So if you're buying the 02 model, you'd want to get a way better price than $5500 I reckon!

S.

ex offender
The 2004 ones have different tubing on the front triangle (can't remember what the name for the square-to-round stuff is, but it sounded cool), the linkage geometry is different, it comes with a better shock, the rear end is redesigned for greater stiffness, and I'm pretty sure the geo has been tweaked. The 02s and prior were basically total POS's IMO, they made MASSIVE improvements for 03, then a few more alterations for 04.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you can buy the 04 rear end for 03 bikes.. just a thought... though it doesn't sound like the deal is that great on the 03...

S.

ex offender
kalem said:
you can buy the 04 rear end for 03 bikes.. just a thought... though it doesn't sound like the deal is that great on the 03...
I don't think it fits the 02 that he's looking at though ;)

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
yer, at least for the 03 1's u can by the E.thirteen upgrade for the shoc mount (note: the mad cats use this upgrade)