2 days in Cairns - Where to ride?

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm Heading up to Cairns for a week off next week and have decided to take the DH bike with me.

Will probably only be able to convince the other half to shuttle me for parts of 2 days, so what should I hit up?

I know about Kuranda and Smithfield (world cup track?) but not much else.

Probably need to have good enough shuttle roads for a rental outlander also...

Cheers

noddy

Likes Dirt
If your there for the weekend checkout the cairnsmtb website and gravitate, dawn to dusk DH on sunday ride every track. theres other events on thurs fri and sat.
otherwise copperlode dam tracks (wattleblah, slipperies, crystals and boiboi) are the most insane, the shuttle is lengthy though and realy not the type of track you ride on your own, first run challenge.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats awesome, could not have timed it better. Just registered for the Dawn to Dusk on Sunday - seems like I'll be doing a few blind runs with that many tracks to get through!

indica

Serial flasher
Wow man, that will be a cracker of a day on some seriously steep and gnarly trails.

Good score!

Noobs

Squid
I just got back from a week of riding in and around Cairns - you're going to have a ball!

Near the city, Kuranda DH, Copperlode Dam trails (Waddlebla, Boi Boi etc.) and Palmer's are all worth checking out. At Smithfield, the UCI World Cup track is officially off-limits, but is in great shape & well worth the climb (though you didn't hear it from me). There are a handful of other DH tracks at Smithfield that are worth checking out, but most of them are overgrown & pretty banged-up. The unmarked, original DH trail that follows the fire road is the best of the bunch (it eventually turns into Slippery > Cuss Cuss etc.).

If you get the chance, there's also a brand new DH track in the Atherton MTB park (track #9) that's an easy shuttle & definitely worth a trip to the tablelands...

Enjoy!

4dabush

Likes Dirt
So how did the OP enjoy Gravitate?....5 days of bike events...the club members - particularly Craig and Amanda are knackered...and we back it up hosting the National Enduro round this weekend...

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got back today.

Crazy good riding, felt a bit rushed building my bike in the motel car park on Saturday night then being at the gnarly top section of Watt (dd?) leblah at 7am the next morning.

It sucked a bit not being able to push things too hard or practice lines (picture coming into the world cup course jumps and rock gardens with only a knowledge from the red bull stream) due to the 1 run we did of each track but it was still really fun.

Wattleblah and slipperys have to be my favourites, mostly due to the fact that it was an achievement to get down some sections, let alone do it fast.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Yep Waddlebla is a pretty hairy trail, did you ride rocky horror or walk? ( no shame in walking that section).
Did you get to any other events? The dirt jump comp on Monday? Glad you had fun...

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Waddleblah was the only track we did two runs of, so managed rocky horror the second time around after having a bit of a look. Not easy though!

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still had two sleeves, missed the memo on the Hawaiian shirts.

Was riding an old Sunday with white gear.