2.5 year old new bike still OK?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Hey I was in the process of buying a 2023 Merida Eone 60 500 from a local shop. It was on special but I just had some hesitation as it had a Rockshox Gold fork and I had one of them on my XC bike years ago and remember it was nothing really special.. OK for dirt but shitty on the rough stuff.
The the shop rang me back and said they have a 2021 Eone 60 700 for the same price with much better suspension.

Now I'm super keen to buy it but is a 2.5 year old battery going to be starting to degrade? I know with my rc helis days age was a big factor with lipo performance. The shop said they cycle the batteries monthly to keep them in good order but is it worth forking out $$ extra for the current model with a 2023 spec battery?

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the one i recommended before. Just get it, its a great bike. I have my 2020 still and it works perfect.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey I was in the process of buying a 2023 Merida Eone 60 500 from a local shop. It was on special but I just had some hesitation as it had a Rockshox Gold fork and I had one of them on my XC bike years ago and remember it was nothing really special.. OK for dirt but shitty on the rough stuff.
The the shop rang me back and said they have a 2021 Eone 60 700 for the same price with much better suspension.

Now I'm super keen to buy it but is a 2.5 year old battery going to be starting to degrade? I know with my rc helis days age was a big factor with lipo performance. The shop said they cycle the batteries monthly to keep them in good order but is it worth forking out $$ extra for the current model with a 2023 spec battery?
What price are they asking for it?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My missus 2017 Giant Full-E (trance) had 400km on it up until 2023, it has sat for 18 months at one stage without being used, charged and used 1-2 times a year.

The battery is still not noticeably any different since new. Its Yamaha Syncdrive.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I would think that the shop should be able to tell you how many km are on it, and I'm not that familiar with Meridas, but you might even be able to see how many charge cycles the battery has had. That will give you a bit of an idea on how much work it has done.
I have a 2020 Specialized Levo SL and it has close to 8500km on it now and the battery is still at 100% health. I reckon the motor will give out before the battery. The Shimano motors can be rebuilt but from what I have heard they can be a bit hit and miss with and error code after you crack the motor open according to the Ebike Motor Repair guys in Queensland.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I bought it, fucking liking it as well=)

I thought you had to charge them everytime you ride them but after the initial charge and 3 20k rides through the trails it's still on 60% battery.

I feel using boost mode is cheating though..
Nice!
Just try to keep the battery between 50% to 80% charged if you aren't riding it for a while and if you are below 50% after a ride, whack it on the charger. It will keep your battery healthy.