1x10 setup with narrow wide ring breaking chains?

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I have a weird problem with one of my bikes which I can't find an obvious explanation for and wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

The problem is occurring on a single pivot frame running a 1x10 drive train with a wolf tooth 32t ring, XT clutched rear derailleur on SLX triple cranks and has broken it's chain a few times. When the chain breaks it seems to pry the side plate off. The drive train was all new when this was happening, the breaks occurred in different locations on the chain including once at a correctly installed missing link, chain line seems fine and everything seems to run smoothly in the stand. My suspicion is that the chain is getting some slack in the top on suspension compression which is allowing the chain to whip slightly off centre so that if you time a pedal stroke just right is putting stress on the chain where is contacts the chain ring, I haven't been able to prove this though. This has not happened since I installed a top guide and I suspect that the guide is preventing the chain from getting out of line where it engages the chain ring. I have spoken to the frame manufacturer and they tell me they have never come across this issue.

I have two other bikes with a similar setup and have never had this problem, the 1x10 has always worked perfectly.

Any ideas?

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Tried a different chain? You may just have a dud.
I suppose it's a possibility but XT chain faulty in separate locations and the same issue with a KMC missing link? There would have to be something specifically wrong with the manufacturing chain, should be obvious to look at.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
What frame? Is there significant chain growth under compression?
Hi Moorey,

Craftworks FRX v3. Chain growth isn't significant (from memory).

Something which comes to mind is that due to the short chain stay (420mm), the chain angle to the chain ring at the top and bottom cog is greater than on my trance (~435mm) though I doubt this would be very significant.

moorey

call me Mia
Hi Moorey,

Craftworks FRX v3. Chain growth isn't significant (from memory).

Something which comes to mind is that due to the short chain stay (420mm), the chain angle to the chain ring at the top and bottom cog is greater than on my trance (~435mm) though I doubt this would be very significant.
Can you post up a pic of it in its lowest gear (36t?). In theory, if your chain is too short, it should be fucking your derailleur.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Can you post up a pic of it in its lowest gear (36t?). In theory, if your chain is too short, it should be fucking your derailleur.
In the office so I don't have a pic. Chain isn't too short, still plenty of movement in cage at full compression, not a new build by the way, has been set up this way (with guide) for a year and a half at least. 42t by the way, giant cog/expensive dinner plate. Before you ask, broken chains usually occurred mid cassette(ish).

moorey

call me Mia
In the office so I don't have a pic. Chain isn't too short, still plenty of movement in cage at full compression, not a new build by the way, has been set up this way (with guide) for a year and a half at least. 42t by the way, giant cog/expensive dinner plate. Before you ask, broken chains usually occurred mid cassette(ish).
I'm out then. Been running 1x with XT chains solely for years (without guides since clutches and NW though). Never had it happen, or heard it happen in the way you are.....other than a mate who's first attempt at NW saw him repeatedly not matching up the wide tooth with the wide link in the chain, and fooked a few chains in an instant.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
I'm out then. Been running 1x with XT chains solely for years (without guides since clutches and NW though). Never had it happen, or heard it happen in the way you are.....other than a mate who's first attempt at NW saw him repeatedly not matching up the wide tooth with the wide link in the chain, and fooked a few chains in an instant.
This has been my experience too and Lol, how do you not notice the chain on the wrong teeth on a NW ring?

OTH Dave

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I have a weird problem with one of my bikes which I can't find an obvious explanation for and wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

The problem is occurring on a single pivot frame running a 1x10 drive train with a wolf tooth 32t ring, XT clutched rear derailleur on SLX triple cranks and has broken it's chain a few times. When the chain breaks it seems to pry the side plate off. The drive train was all new when this was happening, the breaks occurred in different locations on the chain including once at a correctly installed missing link, chain line seems fine and everything seems to run smoothly in the stand. My suspicion is that the chain is getting some slack in the top on suspension compression which is allowing the chain to whip slightly off centre so that if you time a pedal stroke just right is putting stress on the chain where is contacts the chain ring, I haven't been able to prove this though. This has not happened since I installed a top guide and I suspect that the guide is preventing the chain from getting out of line where it engages the chain ring. I have spoken to the frame manufacturer and they tell me they have never come across this issue.

I have two other bikes with a similar setup and have never had this problem, the 1x10 has always worked perfectly.

Any ideas?
Interesting that you mention this as I was looking at groupsets for a 1 x 10 conversion on CRC and found that there were several complaints about snapping XT chains in the reviews.
I don't have an answer for you but it doesn't sound like you are alone.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-xt-1x10sp-gear-kit-bundle/rp-prod126347
I currently run an XT chain on a 2 x 10 Sram setup with no issues.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Interesting that you mention this as I was looking at groupsets for a 1 x 10 conversion on CRC and found that there were several complaints about snapping XT chains in the reviews.
I don't have an answer for you but it doesn't sound like you are alone.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-xt-1x10sp-gear-kit-bundle/rp-prod126347
I currently run an XT chain on a 2 x 10 Sram setup with no issues.
Interesting that. Not enough detail in the reviews to tell if they have anything in common unfortunately. Never had any issues with XT 1x10 using NW until this bike though.

stirk

Burner
Even with a non clutched derailleur I say this may be impossible but what if you chain was being whipped on the ring in a manner which saw the chain jump a tooth thereby being on the wrong NW tooth long enough to go ping... I.e. narrow link jumps to wide tooth and breaks.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Even with a non clutched derailleur I say this may be impossible but what if you chain was being whipped on the ring in a manner which saw the chain jump a tooth thereby being on the wrong NW tooth long enough to go ping... I.e. narrow link jumps to wide tooth and breaks.
Good question, it may be impossible but I'd considered something similar to this, or at least partially jumping. Even if this happened though, I have no idea how to simulate it.