1st aid kits - what do you carry?

not_brian

Likes Bikes
What does everybody carry as a first aid kit when going for short rides?

I carry a small first aid kit including a compression bandage (for the snakes) and a triangular bandage (for the shoulder injuries) in my Camelback but was hoping to ditch the backpack for the shorter rides this summer and was curious what other people carry with them.

For the record I have used both bandages more than once last year so I am a bit reluctant to leave them behind but maybe there's a better option out there I haven't thought of.

teK--

Eats Squid

I carry a small first aid kit including a compression bandage (for the snakes) and a triangular bandage (for the shoulder injuries) in my Camelback but was hoping to ditch the backpack for the shorter rides this summer and was curious what other people carry with them.

For the record I have used both bandages more than once last year so I am a bit reluctant to leave them behind but maybe there's a better option out there I haven't thought of.
There is a minimal kit I carry on all rides:

triangular bandage
compression bandage
a couple of big and a couple of small bandaids
a few alcohol wipes
pair of nitrile gloves
paracetemol
codeine
antihistamine

Fits in a small snacksize ziplock bag nice and flat.

For big/back country rides there are a few more bits and pieces but the kit triples in size as a result.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt

I carry a few bandaids and a 10x10 gauze pad. I figure I can use a tube for a sling and if a bandage is needed I can use/cut up a jersey... a few wraps of duct tape around the water bottle is also handy.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Whoops, I rely on luck and goodwill for short rides.
I have an collection of bandages, band aids and painkillers in the backpack. The last time I got into any serious splattage was some time ago and cut opened my chin. Nothing in the backpack was going to be really helpful for that one.

scblack

Leucocholic
I have been trail riding and DH riding for about 30 years, having started as a teenager on my bmx. Never once have I taken a first aid item. And never once have I been unable to continue riding - gear may get some blood on it but I soldiered on.

It could have helped sometimes I guess, but I've never been too bothered. Maybe from my rugby days I learnt how to crash and tumble (mostly) so have never been too seriously injured.

Except twice.....and no first aid kit was going to help them.

not_brian

Likes Bikes
Whoops, I rely on luck and goodwill for short rides.
Most of my first aid has been for other riders who have had a stack & aren't carrying anything to patch themselves up with.

The one encounter I have had with a snake was all my fault because I accidentally ran over a black snake having a snooze on the trail and it struck at me but missed. To be honest I needed a fresh pair of knicks more than I needed a compression bandage (but I could have used one as toilet paper I guess).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What! We can't have 19 threads in this?
The summary:

- What first aid do you carry?
- Lots, mostly unnecessary and insufficient in an emergency.
- You guys are pussies.
- I just use my dirty shirt and an inner tube or die.
- Safety first.
- Soft.
- Helmets shouldn't be compulsory.
- You carry so much first aid you must need panniers.
- No room, I've stored 9L of jizz because cycling busts your balls.
- What else is in your pack?
- Thread closed.

New thread, who has first aid training?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Most of my first aid has been for other riders who have had a stack & aren't carrying anything to patch themselves up with.
That is fair comment. I guess the new era of minimalisation makes it a bit more difficult to determine what is an essential item.

The one encounter I have had with a snake was all my fault because I accidentally ran over a black snake having a snooze on the trail and it struck at me but missed. To be honest I needed a fresh pair of knicks more than I needed a compression bandage (but I could have used one as toilet paper I guess).
I have a magic reflex action where my feet swing past my ears in the event of a snake underneath my tyres. I have seen black snakes occasionally on the trail before they have seen me. I just wait and let them go on their way or run in the opposite direction and make loud unmanly Yahhh and squealing noises.

teK--

Eats Squid

Yeah this.

Anything serious to warrant first aid kit has so far been to others *touch wood*.

Usually some sort of deep laceration that you need to stop bleeding or stop a badly packed kebab looking mess.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The summary:

- You guys are pussies.
- Safety first.
- Soft.
- Thread closed.m

Please delete, and repost as a summary in 3 days

Your attention to this matter has been appreciated .

Ps, you missed mobile phone and chopper

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The summary:

- You guys are pussies.
- Safety first.
- Soft.
- Thread closed.

Nice summary. you've been here before?

Who has first aid training that hasn't expired is the question