Cassette Shimano HG 8 speed
Front and rear hubs Truvativ Sealex
Front rim Ritchey Rock WCS 32 hole
Rear rim Mavic D521
Spokes F/R DT butted, DT straight
Nipples DT
Tyres Panaracer reissue Smoke/Dart 2.1 combo
Others Trek 90's alloy bottle cage, Velocity brake booster
Total weight Around 12kg I rekcon (must get a fishing spring scale)

This was my 2nd/3rd bike. I bought an IBOC sport in late 1994, and by 1996 had cracked the chainstay. I got the Rockadile as a frame only warranty replacement, mainly because I worked for the shop so the owner pulled a few strings to get it for me. Built it up with the parts I had on hand. Over the years it evolved, I have a bunch of pics to tell the story.

1994 and my first serious MTB, the IBOC sport, with Cook Bros Racing cranks and Velocity green anno barends fitted. I hate mud a lot more these days. Later it got some Ballistic forks, raced it at Thredbo in the 1995 Nationals and came 37th in the dual slalom, took it down the DH course and melted the elastomers in the forks. They were replaced with Rockshox ones and I met Colin from Raw NRG, he became my second client as I'd started building websites as a side gig.

1996 and I had moved the IBOC parts to the Rockadile, I used to swap out tyres regularly until I got hold of a compatible set of wheels which had slicks on them all the time, still running barends on Club Roost bars here, it's a nice bike to do wheelies on. Top pic is Sydney CBD, bottom somewhere between Albury and Bathurst on a Bicycle NSW Big Ride.

This was 1997ish after I'd fitted the Bombers, and I think those tyres are Onza Porcupines in super soft white. The bloke in the middle is a guy named John Kyle who had started MTB tours west of Coffs on a fleet of mid range Gary Fisher bike's he'd bought and his mate who I think was named Matt who had a nice DB Apex. I still wear that Raw NRG Chrome jersey, I have two and they're the best ever jerseys.

I rode it as my only MTB until 2005 when I got my Iron Horse SGS. I sold it around 2009 as it is shown above to a guy who was just starting MTB with his son. At this point the tyres were reaching the unrideable stage so I moved them on to someone who would use them on a display bike.

In 2015 I bought it back from the guy I sold it to and had the forks serviced then made it into an e-bike, and rode it for about 2000km of commuting. The Truvativ brakes weren't great with internal springs and wear made them vibrate badly under pressure so I put the fresh XT v's on, Amazing how Shimano came back to the first v brake design with the big long springs.

I've taken it out a few times in the spec listed above, it's still a beast, and I am so glad I got this old warrior back, it has a lot of memories and meaning for me and I really love it. I shortened the chain last week after it kept dropping, I wasn't concentrating and made it too long so am keen to get back out on it now that's sorted.

Enjoy the flashback :)

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the white tires look like Panaracer smoke/dart combo..they did come in white for a while
the Onza Porcs were more just lots of single spikes instead of actual tread pattern...cool pics though, blast from the past
I am trying to work out where that pic taken next to the water is..?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
the white tires look like Panaracer smoke/dart combo..they did come in white for a while
the Onza Porcs were more just lots of single spikes instead of actual tread pattern...cool pics though, blast from the past
I am trying to work out where that pic taken next to the water is..?
Yeah they kinda look like a tread pattern in the first pic, definitely Smoke/Dart in the second one, and the 2.2 aswell which I heard Panaracer no longer had the molds for thus the reissues were 2.1. I had the Smoke/Dart in black, Porcs, Hutchinson On the Rocks 2 and IRC Missiles over the years. The Hutchinson were my favourite, good wearing, and I got them cheap from the shop as we had plenty in stock. The Porcs lasted only a few rides as the white ones were super soft.

The beach pic is between Mylestom and Sawtell, I believe the ride was Mylestom to Sawtell via Bundagen and back on dirt road and fire trail.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So cool. Love the ever-evolving adaptability of a hardtail, and this is a prime example of that!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Love it. Have to agree with @glenn1529 too.

Riding an older simpler bike does take you back to time when you didn't have mortgages and many other life messing up things to worry about although Sunday rides were much easier without a hangover.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Love the whole bike esp the White Bros Ti bars
They're so nice, and such thick tubing. I like the Kore stem too but it's too long and will be replaced by a more modern 85mm from the parts bin to make it more rideable.

Sunday rides were much easier without a hangover.
I showed up late to a race once with the IBOC not long after I got it, hungover as hell. Slapped the front wheel on just in time for the start, got up the first hill, turned around, and found I forgot to hook up the cantis. Good times.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I showed up late to a race once with the IBOC not long after I got it, hungover as hell. Slapped the front wheel on just in time for the start, got up the first hill, turned around, and found I forgot to hook up the cantis. Good times.
The stump pulling power of the rear canti's must have saved you :)