ROAD 1979 Road Bike restoration: "Black Sally"

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
So, when my Dad was in year 10 I think, he bought his first road bike to get into racing. He raced for a number of years, throughout university and pretty well up to the time when I was born. This is the first bike he bought for $100 back in '79 that I dragged out from under the house and did a restoration job on.

Most parts are original, including wheels, tyres (probably not for long), frame, fork, bars and goose neck, as well as the left hand crank. The seat and other half of the crank set, pedals, as well as the brakes, were scavenged from a box of miscellaeneous bike bits in the garage.

It's still got some minor issues- surface rust being the big one, but it's pretty silent, the wheels run true and the brakes stop the thing. Eventually I'll get a cheap proper rear wheel with a flip flop hub for fixie fun, but for now it's SS'ed out on the middle cog of the cluster. It's a 52-16 (?) ratio at the moment, which is pretty high but it absolutely flies on the flat, and I can just get it up hills.

It's not a restoration in the Justin Fox style, but I think it's got a bit of character and it'll get me to uni day in/day out. She's called "Black Sally", cos it's all black and pink. :)

Particulary happy with my cable tie rig for the rear reflector.

Spec List (as good as I can remember)

Frame:?
Fork: ?
Brakes: F- Chang Star R- Weinmann
Cranks: R- Shimano 600 L- Sugino
BB: Sugino
Wheels: Something heavy
Bars: Winpista
Tape: fizik
Seat: Some old one with "Italia" on the back. Thought it was cool.
Pedals: Club Roost (will destroy your shin)

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
love it! my old man has something buried in the shed, I may post it up in response to this as its of similar style/vintage but in red. still running original rubber just like yours.
classic pushies ftw ;)
nice work on the rebuild too mate :)

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
love it! my old man has something buried in the shed, I may post it up in response to this as its of similar style/vintage but in red.
Do it. Forgot to mention I resprayed the frame as well, $10 worth of Aussie Exports with a clear coat or 3 over the top. Chips pretty easy, but it's just a beater for a moment. It taught me a lot disassembling and stripping everything.