$1000 hardtail choice these days

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yippee Hubby and I are looking at buying a bike each. Budget is $1000+/- per bike and obviously looking at hardtails at that price point.

My dilemma is that there isn't much choice in 26" wheels. I'm 5ft7 (169cm) even though I don't think height is that much of an issue when it comes to 29ers unless you're really short.
I will be mostly riding to work, around town or with the kids or Husband, I might venture off road occasionally though.

The shop I want to buy from carries Canonndale, Focus, Apollo, Giant , I've had Giants in the past but seems the only choice is the cheap Boulder unless I look at 29" wheels.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just make the move to a 29er?

The Apollo Aspire (26" wheels) seems to have good spec for the price, but then something like the Talon 29er is 10 speed, and probably even better value for money, better compatibility for upgrades down the track.

My Husband isn't too fussed as long as I don't go over budget too much, not sure if I could stretch it as far as the XTC lol

I'd normally ride a small size bike, and he'd probably be a medium (he's 5ft8 (172cm or something).
Maybe I should put him on the Talon and go for the Apollo myself. Canondale doesn't seem as good in regards to value for money. Not sure about the Focus brand, they're mostly 29ers as well.

You can't put 26" wheels on a 29er can you?

Melony

Likes Bikes
I know they are not local but check out these guys. bikesonline.com.au free postage to a lot of areas.

I was going to buy a Cozmic 29er for 1038 but got an awesome deal on an XTC, big bonus with these guys if you don't like it send it back in 14 days get your coins back, win win in my opinion.

evil_duffman

Likes Dirt
I know they are not local but check out these guys. bikesonline.com.au free postage to a lot of areas.

I was going to buy a Cozmic 29er for 1038 but got an awesome deal on an XTC, big bonus with these guys if you don't like it send it back in 14 days get your coins back, win win in my opinion.
I just had a look at the cosmic and have to admit it's well spec'd for the price, and polygon seem to be a good up and coming brand.
Or...
Why not get an xtc for yourself and something cheap for the hubby if he's not fussed ;)

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Melony, I'm tempted to check out online deals, even stores like TBSM even CRC etc, but I live close to the local shop now which has always been good to me, so I really want to give them my business, particularly when buying a whole new bike. I know they'll give us a good deal too.

Why not get an xtc for yourself and something cheap for the hubby if he's not fussed ;)
Ha ha, yes but he can understand that spending a bit more gets a better bike that should last longer, lol I think he even knows that it wouldn't matter how much we spent I'd still want to change stuff :) eventually.

But yeah that XTC is tempting....has shimano brakes which I like, and the 15mm qr has to be a good thing, just not quite convinced on 29" wheels. Might have to go throw a leg over one to see I guess.

I have some newish Pro Lite Arvier (26")wheels on the current old mtb which I was thinking of keeping for the new bike if they're better than what the new one comes with.

I think DH was going to get whatever bike I choose just in a bigger size lol. I'm hoping to buy a new laptop soon too though this one is dying a slow but dignified death (been using an external keyboard for ages lately it's just lost all it's sound), so not sure if I want to push the envelope on the bike price too much.

Melony

Likes Bikes
Pebble
If it is any help to ou I picked up my XTC 29er 2 for $1270, just waiting for it to arrive now 2 long weeks away.
Their is heaps of good deals around online but giant standing by the product and dealers won't allow them to ship pre-built bikes as it voids the warranty I think this is a good thing.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Melony, good to know. I think if I'm going 29er I'd stretch it to the XTC at least for me, and just spend less when it comes time to buy a computer :)
Just have to be sure about the 29er thing, these bikes will have to be keepers for quite a while.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are also a couple of heavily discounted Apollo Taos C bikes I'll have to seriously think about. Carbon frame, good components, Dart 2 fork
Like this one below about $1300: new old stock. Would be great with a fork upgrade down the track? 17 or 19 " frame in store so depends if the 17 fits me and the 19 fits DH. Depends if I really want to give 29ers a go though... (this is 26")

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles/apollo/mountain/taos-c/boolaroo/nsw/102174061

Apart from that I can get the XTC 29er for $1300 and the Talon is $1k. Decisions decisions. Going to have a look int the shop on Fri.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow hat Apollo is an awesome price good spec as well. Tough choices now.
Yeah I'm leaning that way as long as sizing is good. Definitely would get that over the Apollo Aspire anyway.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Must say first bike I've ever brought that had a saddle that was comfy straight up!
seat.jpg

Here's another pic, changed bars & stem for ones I had on the other bike (like shorter stem and bars slightly wider than stock ones). This was on my way to work this morning!

bike.jpg
bike2.jpg

Loving it, good to have gears actually, I guess particularly as Busselton is so flat, even use the big ring! Only shaves about 5 min off my ride to work though, 20min instead of 25

Unfortunately deal in buying it was Hubby said no upgrades! Still might put the Prolite Arvier wheels on off the other bike because they have sealed hubs and bladed spokes, probably better in the long run.

Feels very nice to ride, less jarring than the other bike (cromo HT) however that could have a bit to do with the different and bigger tyres more so than the carbon frame.

Alderman

Cannon Fodder
Pebble, glad to see you got yourself a good bike that you're enjoying after advice from those on the forum. I am also looking for some input from veteran riders on this forum in terms of hard tail options. I am buying a new bike after my KHS got stolen a year ago; my ride style is geared towards trail riding and entry level dirt jumping as well as point A to B riding... I have it narrowed down to two options and was hoping for some sort of experiential advice from riders on the forum. I am looking at a 2012 Norco Ryde and 2012 Giant STP? Any opinions on which bike is better value or other bikes you might recommend (if I did buy the Ryde I already plan to modify it to 1x8 gear ratio instead of single speed)

Cheers

I know you said that you want a giant or an apollo ect. I would recommend the Avanti aggressor 29.1. i currently have one and it does everything no problem. Oh yeah it is a 29er though.

Hope this helps.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know you said that you want a giant or an apollo ect. I would recommend the Avanti aggressor 29.1. i currently have one and it does everything no problem. Oh yeah it is a 29er though.

Hope this helps.
+1 for avanti. Or go the avanti flare.. Women's specific mtb that runs 650b wheels for the short asses. And X fusion forks. All for just over a thousand bucks.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome buy pebble looks nice, are they oury grips on the ba you put on not orig bars.
Yes I brought the Ourys not long ago for the other bike, the stock grips on this one were pretty ordinary I reckon so changed them out. The bars are FSA XC281's also off the other bike, only because they're a fraction wider 680 instead of 640, I thought they'd be better.

I had a day off work so went for a decent ride today, found a little bit of singletrack even...ha ha only a smidgeon! Might have to take the bike to Nannup when I hopefully go visit a friend there next time (try the bike out on the short DH type track there). Think this bike has got my mtb passion back, which has been lacking for a bit!
singletrack.jpg

But I think I might throw the WTB SST on there for a bit, not so sure about the prologo saddle after todays ride, the WTB is a bit wider (and a touch lighter) so I think it's best to have a try, I know at least that my sit bones don't like narrow saddles, even though I haven't found the perfect one yet :).
Plans are to sell the old bike only once I'm happy with the bits I want to keep for this one.
Husband will probably have a few comments about the changes when he gets home from work next lol, on top of that I rearranged my daughters room too :) ....at least she said "Thanks Mummy" when she got home and saw it :)

Alderman

Pebble, glad to see you got yourself a good bike that you're enjoying after advice from those on the forum. I am also looking for some input from veteran riders on this forum in terms of hard tail options. I am buying a new bike after my KHS got stolen a year ago; my ride style is geared towards trail riding and entry level dirt jumping as well as point A to B riding... I have it narrowed down to two options and was hoping for some sort of experiential advice from riders on the forum. I am looking at a 2012 Norco Ryde and 2012 Giant STP? Any opinions on which bike is better value or other bikes you might recommend (if I did buy the Ryde I already plan to modify it to 1x8 gear ratio instead of single speed)
I have had an STP before and it's a very versatile bike (which is why I brought it in the first place). I have always liked Norco bikes too but have never owned one. Giant generally tends to do the best bikes in regards to value for money so usually it's hard to go past that brand, if you're after a versatile geared bike then I have to say I'd probably go for the STP....... I can't find a 2012 model in their Archives (the US version looks great value though).
The Norco is very bmx like, doesn't look like it has a derailleur hanger so not sure it's a good choice if you want gears? Although still worth considering if you really like it and think single speed would be ok for your A to B rides (particularly if your main focus was dirt jumping).....SS isn't that much slower than riding a geared bike, just depends on distance / terrain you have to cover. But from what you said I'd probably go STP, unless I really liked the bmx simplicity of the other one.

Last edited: