1 by drivetrain

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Hi guys, I've tried see searching but no luck.

I have a 2017 Giant Anthem with a 2 by drivetrain but am thinking about converting to a 1 by. Where do you start?

What brand drivetrain is good value, can't afford to spend too much money as wife will kill me. Is it really worth doing for a weekend hacker like myself.

Thanks

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
If it’s currently a 12-36 rear cassette you’ll be fine if your strong. Best guess it’s a 2017 anthem 3 with 10 speed.

I would try it like this first and see how you go. Match your front ring for climbing.

If not shimano do a deore 10 speed cassette that’s 11-42. Used it on a mates giant to do a similar conversion and he rates it. Same spread as my 11 speed. It was a cheapish part too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
cassettes are the expensive part try Sunrace or just cope w 11-34 or 36 or add a 40 T to your current cassette thats what I did.
Bought Fouriers on ebay.FOURIERS CNC 40T Teeth Cog Cassette Sprocket for 10s Shimano Deore XT XTR / Sram

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
cassettes are the expensive part try Sunrace or just cope w 11-34 or 36 or add a 40 T to your current cassette thats what I did.
Bought Fouriers on ebay.FOURIERS CNC 40T Teeth Cog Cassette Sprocket for 10s Shimano Deore XT XTR / Sram
Wolf Tooth and OneUp components are also good for extended range 40T and 42T replacement sprockets

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recently did a 2x to 1x conversion, i'll put in a +1 for the Sunrace cassettes. Didn't fancy using the old worn 11-36 so just bought a whole cassette (CSMS2 11-42T) - shifts just fine with an XT mech & looks the goods. Front ring I got a 30t Hope NW, haven't dropped the chain once yet.

In the end was well worth it for the noise reduction and simplicity. One thing to note, if you up it to a 40/42T, you might need a longer chain and/or B screw.

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See what gears you use most on your current setup then get a calculator out and work out what the ratios are and compare with what your new chainring might be. You might find that getting a smaller or bigger rig will be more useful depending on your current gear usage. Ie not using top gears, get a smaller chainring so you don’t lose your lowest gears. Of course if you never use your most granny gear, get a bigger chainring so you can have some more top end speed.

I went 1x9 on my last bike (26”). After a while with a 32 chainring I upped it to a 36 to get some lore top end speed

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You may need a longer B screw from the hardware to run a 40T
Most of the Shadow-type derailleurs are OK up to 40T. Longer B-screw doesn't really help because derailleur body geometry is the limiting factor. Crank it low enough to fit under a big sprocket & it gets so far away from the little ones that it buggers shifting at that end. To run a 42T you really need a M6000 Deore which has the more optimised body geometry for wider range cassettes.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah Fouriers seems fine so far Wayne ie wkkie.
As duck said XT derailleur was OK w 40T, Deore derailleur on another bike needed a longer B screw for 40T.