05 Orange 223 or 04 Stab Primo for Dh / Freeriding and now 05 Sunday Team

ffactory666

Likes Bikes
Hey.

About to by a DH rig ( next week )and can't decide between an 05 Orange 223 or a 04 Stab Primo. The price differance is only $500 ( more for the Orange ) , $2500 compared to $3000.

Both bikes are in great nik , the Stab Primo running standard specs ( 888r , Fox DH , Sram 9 , Hayes 9's ) thanks to smooz1974 on this forum and the Orange running 04 Boxxer Teams , Sram 9 , Hayes mags not sure on the rear shock yet , waiting for the guy to confirm this.

Basically the Orange being a 1 year old frame , realy light and great DH rig , worth alot more ( hate the british green colour though , nothing a paintjob can't fix )while the Stab being older , heavier but bombproof for hucking.

I will be doing some DH and some Hucking / freeriding.

Now i know the Kona will rock for hucking and is a decent DH rig but not sure about the Orange , do you think it can handle the hucking . I know it's a simple single pivot design with not much to go wrong and have heard that they are tough for a light bike, pedalling up hills will be easier.

So i need to make up my mind by next week any info and opinions are welcome , nearly forgot this will be my first DH bike.

Last edited:

saundo

Likes Dirt
id go the 223 for sure much better dh rig i mean if steave peat can win worlds on one i supose u might as well never know where the future will take you

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
too win its not the bike, its the rider... but since your going to be 'hucking' id rather the Kona as they Orange is more of a DH only bike although it could handle it... i wouldnt put an Orange through hucking

DH_slave

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah if you are going to do some hucking i would have to say the kona, but my mate rides a orange 223 and he does alot of hucking and its great and nice and light. but really you will have to see what you like, the konas feel more wider and at the same time they feel a little to skinny on the frame the bars normally would change that,and the 223 has a chunky feel like a banshee morpheen. if you want a long lasting strong huckable bike that will hold together i would have to say the kona, but ride the 223 and u'll see what i mean.

ffactory666

Likes Bikes
Keep em coming guys , some good opinions and examples to back them.
I was worried i would be getting childish answers and alot of brand flaming but this is going well.

Another considiration is the value of the bikes . Might upgrade next year once i get better so the Orange should be worth more and i reckon i will be doing more DH than hucking.

ffactory666

Likes Bikes
Also should mention that will probably be doing some jumps so all up it will be getting used for a bit of everything but mostly DH.

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
223 anyday

definitely the 223, great for DH and nice and light for jumping
also the 223 will be more resalable being a handbuilt frame than a kona anyday

nickd

Likes Bikes
I'd definitely say the Orange 223. Built from the ground up for Downhill and primarily downhill. The main difference you'll find between the two bikes is the suspension, the stab having 888's and the orange having boxxer teams. From personal experience, I think the boxxer teams are a better downhill fork then the 888's which (imo - juls correct me if i'm wrong :eek: ) are more all round forks for downhill and freeriding.

That's just my 2 cents.

sammy boy

Likes Dirt
weel, youve gotta figure oujt what you want to do more, if youre going to be hucking more get the kona though if youre doing dh get the 223 just figure out what you want more

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would Cry if i saw a orange 223 hucked of anything
I rekaon the best ever for DH and some DJ with the different adjusts
Stab primo can handle anything and everything
go the stab i reakon if you want it for more stuff
Al

jamit

Likes Dirt
For Dh I would go the Orange 223 but ages ago (18 months+) I was ready a thread on one of the UK sites and they were saying that the 223 is not desiged for FR and Hucking as Orange us a lighter gauge ali for the 223 frame that is why they are so light and suite racing (not sure if the same applies to the current 05/06 models). If you were keen on the Orange try get a 7+ or the new Big T they would be more suited to DH and FR duties.

I am bias though I'm Orange owner. :D

Last edited:

ffactory666

Likes Bikes
Well looks like everyone an a whole is agreeing Orange for Dh and Stab for an all round DH / Freeride bike.
Just gotta be honest and work out what riding i will be doing more of.
With the Orange and the lighter guage on the 223 i'll have to read into it today , but do remeber reading something like that also but thought it was the current 224.

ffactory666

Likes Bikes
Checked up on the diff between the 05 Orange DH and 05 Double -D Freerider frame , they both use the same frame just specked diff to suit either racing or freeriding.
Being cheaper to the poms over there quite a few get used for hucking / FR.

Anyway , sure i will be doing more DH with a bit of freeriding so i'm being swayed over to the Orange.

spam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i love my orange it pedals and jumps like a hardtail but it doesnt feel like its very huckable

benji boy

Likes Dirt
Personally i think there both great bikes. I have seen a orange put through as much as a kona has. Both were used in redbull rampage (dont no wat yr) and they both held up so i guess if u are goin to do more dhing then i would take the orange because it can still do Hucking and DJing. probually dj better than a kona.

ben

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you cant decide what kind of riding your gonna do get the kona because if you get the orange it will restrict you from doing hucks and being afraid to crack (personal experience) it where as if you get the kona you wont have to worry as much and it can still do anything basically the orange is more specific to racing

kb

Likes Dirt
Orange 223

Hey man, i think i know the orange you are talking about, the thing is mint, when he says he looks after it he means he looks after it. The thing is basicall strippped down after each ride, yes ridiculus as it sounds it is true. I have ridden this rig a few times andif you like going downhills fast then shit this is the beast. For 3K you would be hard pressed to do better. Anyway good luck with the pruchase whaever you decide on

Cheers

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
saundo said:
id go the 223 for sure much better dh rig i mean if steave peat can win worlds on one i supose u might as well never know where the future will take you
If we're going to use your logic, Fabien won the worlds twice on a stab, and steve peat is yet to win the worlds. Therefore, Kona wins.

If you huck smoothly go the Orange, but a few cases/headslaps will see the orange die. For DH it will kill the Kona.