Search results

1. joemax

Weight/ Strength training for Road Riding

Cycling Anatomy by Shannon Sovndal is excellent. It takes you through more than a hundred exercises and explains the cycling focus.
  2. joemax

Track - gave it a try - what a blast

RAW Track starts on 20 June Race All Winter every Friday night at Dunc Gray. Beginners welcome, there is a special novices grade but you do need your own bike and CA licence as they can't do rentals and day licences for racing.
  3. joemax

The Track Thread

LACC train (Tuesdays) and race (Fridays) but only in the summer as it's an outdoor track. They have loan bikes but preference is given to juniors. My kids rode a couple of seasons there on loaner bikes. In winter Bankstown run training at Dunc Gray on Wednesday nights. I know the Dunc Gray has...
  4. joemax

The 3 Peaks Challenge - Anyone Done It?

I did 3P in March and will do so again in 2013. It's well organised but as a mass participation event you get a very mixed bag of riders. You start with a long descent from Fall Creek and pass some terrible descenders. Many obviously put down times well ahead of their ability in order to get...
  5. joemax

XL or XXL road bike frame?

and don't neglect the wheels. You'll go through those as well if you just buy stock. Consider hand-build 36-spokers with solid rims.
  6. joemax

XL or XXL road bike frame?

One of my bigger, more powerful mates swears by the Trek lifetime frame warranty. Frame #4 has just failed and frame #5 is approved and en route. They have all been replaced for free, just cracks so far no catastrophic failures.
  7. joemax

next option for a young rider.

Having gone through this with one of my own kids I'd recommend good quality second-hand over new. I often sold out grown bikes a year later for a price similar to what I’d bought them for. We went from 48 to 50 to 52 to 55 in 3 years! He now rides a 58. My other recommendation would be to...
  8. joemax

Try The Track Coaching & Social Session @ Dunc Gray

I did one of these a few months ago and it was a blast. We had ~20 and split into 2 groups. Most had never ridden track before but within an hour we were up on the top of the banking. I highly recommend this if you've never done it.
  9. joemax

Junior Road bike query

There are always a few second hand junior bikes on eBay and through the cycling clubs. Kids grow out of bikes quickly and you'll often find someone with an older kid willing to help you. I bought my then 12 year old a beautiful steel framed 48 cm bike for $800 and sold it 2 years later when he'd...
  10. joemax

Highland Fling - 2010

As a roadie I found the third stage very tough. I did the fling 2 years ago and was looking forwards to smashing down fire road to the finish but what we got was single track and more single track. I'd made it to the 2nd transition in a bit over 4 hours and was feeling good but the rollercoaster...
  11. joemax

Mtn bike pedals for a road bike ... stupid or not?

I use SPD pedals on my (roadie) commuter with mtb shoes. The main advantage for me is I have to do a bit of walking up and down steps in the car park at work and on the Sydney Harbour bridge and this is much easier in mtb shoes than road shoes. The commuter is slow enough as it is so a slight...
  12. joemax

The Fixie Thread

I'm running 700 wheels on an old frame built for 27" wheels and had to get long reach brakes. The BB has ended lower than I'd like which makes pedal strike an issue when riding fixed. You can compensate a bit with 165 mm cranks. I had no problems using old road 3/32" chain rings with a 1/8"...
  13. joemax

[Sydney] Beginner Road Race North Shore/ Northern Beaches

The racing up at Calga on Saturday afternoons is always good if you have a car to get there. Only 40 minutes from the start of the F3. Otherwise what Alchemist said. Beauie is great and how I started road racing.
  14. joemax

Stupid retro cycling gear.

Vintage Velos has some very good looking but very expensive stuff. Prendas Ciclismo is cheaper and sounds closer to what you're looking for. Finally these guys on eBay occasionally have some good looking stuff.
  15. joemax

Sydney - Choices Choices

Since they resurfaced it a few months back West Head has got the best road in Sydney for riding. At weekends the riders out number the cars 10 to 1. Trouble is if you want to start from a train station you'll have to ride from Pymble along Mona Vale Road which is busy but there's a wide...
  16. joemax

Silly long rides...

We make an annual trip from Turramurra to Bumble Hill in January. I've never timed myself on the hill itself but I will this year. We hit it at the 100km mark, it's then 80km back home again. Last year we managed the round trip in 6 hours of which I spent at most 3 minutes on the front of the...
  17. joemax

Crit racing Rules?

I've been beaten in B grade by a 14 year old riding restricted junior gearing. He's on a 6m rollout which is about 75 inches so I wouldn't go any lower than that. He can spin that gear at a cadence of over 160 which is what you'll need to do to be competitive in the sprint. I tend to agree...
  18. joemax

Crit racing Rules?

Sorry I wasn't sure what you meant by not having hooded levers. If you mean the ones on the flat part of the bar then I think they are disallowed by: The brake controls attached to the handlebars shall consist of two supports with levers. It must be possible to operate the brakes by pulling...
  19. joemax

Crit racing Rules?

Are two brakes mandatory? - Yes Can I race single speed? - Yes Do I have to have drop bars? - Yes Do I need to have "hooded brakes" on said drop bars? - if the levers are exposed the referee could deem your bike dangerous and not let you race Full details on cycling.org.au Tips - sit in the...
  20. joemax

racing

There are a few regular road races in the winter in NSW just check the cycling NSW web site for details. Some clubs run races on road circuits but summer tends to be more for track and crits. In and around Sydney Manly Warringah run races on West Head Road. This is a 20 km circuit on...