Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Hyundai Ionic 5N weighs 2.2t and can do 260kph btw.
AMG G wagon is 2.5 tonnes and electronically limited to 220 but I'm sure it could do 260 if not limited, Audi RS Q8 is 2.3t and does 250, Dodge Durango Hellcat is 2.6t and does 289. This is not an EV thing.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
But when you need a new car it would be nuts to go petrol, and eventually petrol will cost so much more.
Yep. Not counting classics/toys, it was always going to be a tesla. Although I might buy a Hyundai Staria load in tradie special white once I clear the mortgage and take a year off work!

Jabubu

let you google that for me
AMG G wagon is 2.5 tonnes and electronically limited to 220 but I'm sure it could do 260 if not limited, Audi RS Q8 is 2.3t and does 250, Dodge Durango Hellcat is 2.6t and does 289. This is not an EV thing.
Yeah I know that, I'm comparing electric bikes to electric cars. The 20kg vehicle is restricted, the 2t+ vehicle isn't.

Haakon

Hyundai Ionic 5N weighs 2.2t and can do 260kph btw.
Its just tyres. The pre facelift Tesla had a higher top speed as it was fitted with Michelin Pilot Sports. The facelift moved the factory tyres to a more comfort and economy focused Hankook supplied tyre and its speed rated for a lower speed.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
But when you need a new car it would be nuts to go petrol, and eventually petrol will cost so much more.
This is always touted but I haven't seen a lot of maths to back it up in reality unless you're cashed up and already looking at cars in the price bracket most EV's sit at. Might be an option for you, but it's arrogant to assume it applies to the masses.

If someone just needed cheap(ish) transportation, they're not going to drop ~$70-80K on a Tesla. Even if you compare to an Atto 3 at ~$50K drive away, a similarly-sized (and ground clearance despite the lower body profile) mid-spec Kia Cerato is ~$30-35K. I probably do more km's than most at about 20,000km a year, and plugging the numbers into Tesla's fuel saving calculator it reckons I'd only save about $7K in petrol over 5 years going electric. Yeah, there might be $2-3K in extra servicing costs for the petrol car, and fuel might go up in price, but not having to finance an extra $15-20K for an EV if you don't have cash in the bank will likely offset a lot of that. If you want to play the argument that fuel will likely go up in price, I'd wager the same will be true of electricity even though the production costs will be dropping overall (from renewable generation) the complexity of the grid during the transition is not going to be/be allowed to be cheap. And if you want a bigger vehicle? The EV price gap remains similar or becomes even bigger. They're a great bit of tech, I'd quite like one - but this "they're cheaper overall!" is just a myth as far as I'm concerned (and I'm in a usage case where you think they'd make the most sense). IMO, they're still a luxury purchase (or upgrade from an ICE vehicle) for people that have/mostly have the cash to play with anyway.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
The EV price gap remains similar or becomes even bigger. They're a great bit of tech, I'd quite like one - but this "they're cheaper overall!" is just a myth as far as I'm concerned (and I'm in a usage case where you think they'd make the most sense). IMO, they're still a luxury purchase (or upgrade from an ICE vehicle) for people that have/mostly have the cash to play with anyway.

I crunched the numbers extensively and the only reason it worked (still unsure) is because of the lease arrangements.
I would have (of for the bogans) leased anyway, I do 30,000kms a year and I already had excess solar. For me - yet to prove - it works.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Apparently, thanks to a lengthy and extensive demonstration by some young ladies picking up their friend from a nearby house, on a Tesla you can add wet fart noises to the end of a normal horn sound, a La Cucaracha horn sound, or just entirely replace the horn with sloppy wet fart noises :p for like 10 minutes..

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Apparently, thanks to a lengthy and extensive demonstration by some young ladies picking up their friend from a nearby house, on a Tesla you can add wet fart noises to the end of a normal horn sound, a La Cucaracha horn sound, or just entirely replace the horn with sloppy wet fart noises :p for like 10 minutes..
You make a compelling argument in favour of a new Tesla.
1713505011685.png

Last edited:

Haakon

I crunched the numbers extensively and the only reason it worked (still unsure) is because of the lease arrangements.
I would have (of for the bogans) leased anyway, I do 30,000kms a year and I already had excess solar. For me - yet to prove - it works.
Doing a lot of kms is the key to making an EV make financial sense. My measly 5K a year does not work...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
For me the reduced purchase price via a novated lease would (mostly) offset the finance costs, the slight technical problem being that I can't get a novated lease through my work (yet). It'd still be dearer for me overall, but at least would greatly reduce the need to have money in advance. I also don't have solar/battery storage (yet). So I'd have that extra up-front cost as well if I wanted to reduce the charging costs further.

indica

Serial flasher
I also don't have solar/battery storage (yet).
$12,000 of solar (cost pretty much recovered) and $3,000 charger install (it's 3-phase, and a flash one, don't need 3-phase yet but should cover me for a bit)

For me the reduced purchase price via a novated lease would (mostly) offset the finance costs
3 year lease actually worked out less than the purchase price.

$3,000 compensation certainly helps too but I have not factored that in at all.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@beeb some are 10k price difference from their petrol equivalent so over 5 years you get the 10k back. This will get much closer in coming years and on some comparisons is very close already.

I think the Niro is closer to the Atto when comparing, and they are similar price to Atto for the hybrid, same with RAV4. Cerato is more like the Dolphin?

Except comapring Toyota Rav4 to Bz4x, where Toyota continues to take the piss on EV pricing like most of the legacy car companies.

Also, look at how well EV's are holding their value, this will continue for a bit while petrol cars that aren't some special one will keep becoming worth less (worthless lol).

Factor in the whole equation and it gets pretty close to break even, and will absolutely go the other way I reckon in the next 5 years.

Home electricty, the main source of fuelling your EV, will never ever be anywhere near the price of petrol. 25c for a high priced KWh vs ~$1.20 (it's about 1.76 KWh per litre of burnt fuel) for a KWh of petrol. It costs half as much or less to fuel up at a fast charger than the bowser, I don't expect electricty to suddenly start increasing faster than petrol.

I get what you are saying but I think you are a bit off on the actual differences when you consider all the numbers. I wonder if Tesla's fuel savings calculator is based on home charging, supercharging or a mix?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Also, look at how well EV's are holding their value, this will continue for a bit while petrol cars that aren't some special one will keep becoming worth less (worthless lol).
I haven't been paying attention but have they been holding their value well? Cooker commentary suggests otherwise.

Edit - just found a Drive article which seems to suggest they hold their value well until two years but absolutely tank after 5 years.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A mate of mine just bout the $39,990 MG4 EV for his missus.

Its quite impressive to be honest, nice finish, beautiful inside, even shutting the doors feels solid, not tinny. The outside looks good and very nice lights shape when lit up.

No idea on the reliability, servicing or aftermarket care but it looks to be a great little EV for the money.

2023-MG-MG4-EV.jpg

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
This is always touted but I haven't seen a lot of maths to back it up in reality unless you're cashed up and already looking at cars in the price bracket most EV's sit at. Might be an option for you, but it's arrogant to assume it applies to the masses.
And live within the infrastructure. It's getting better, we had Tesla Chargers installed last month, all 4 of them!

I've said it before. When we bought the Colorado I honestly thought EV would be next. Not ready yet though.

Haakon

A mate of mine just bout the $39,990 MG4 EV for his missus.

Its quite impressive to be honest, nice finish, beautiful inside, even shutting the doors feels solid, not tinny. The outside looks good and very nice lights shape when lit up.

No idea on the reliability, servicing or aftermarket care but it looks to be a great little EV for the money.

View attachment 408749
And not that little! Its a decent sized thing, way bigger in the flesh than id expected. But it does seem to get the basics right - rear drive, god perfomance and decent packaging, although no froot.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
And not that little! Its a decent sized thing, way bigger in the flesh than id expected. But it does seem to get the basics right - rear drive, god perfomance and decent packaging, although no froot.
He was telling me about it... I'm like MG eeerrr :rolleyes:

Its a decent car for the cash, I was actually impressed at the look and finish.

On things UN-EV, my good mate who bought the Model Y dual motor 9 months ago is giving it to his missus and getting himself a new diesel dual cab. He likes it but no room to carry stuff.