Recent content by smeck

1. S

The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

I'd never criticise that trait, I can't even have an RDP conversation on the boat with an OW student without somehow referring to Dalton's Law and tissue compartments, and I don't have a fifth of the education you have. The biological definition of altruism is quite apt for people, the way...
  2. S

The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Power generation is a big coal user but keep in mind a huge chunk of Australia's coal exports are not thermal coal, it's metallurgical coal. Regardless of power generation we will always export metallurgical coal because it's necessary for steel production. The only way to reduce that is to go...
  3. S

Agreed that an accurate comparison needs a common datum. The problem here is Treasury can't specify why they used a rate lower than the Government Bond rate for their analysis. The issue is that if the calculations can't be replicated outside Treasury; what chance does any Opposition have of...
  4. S

I don't, but if I did I wouldn't be taking lessons in the world from a TV show. I watch House but I don't go around critiquing the medical system either. Do you compare forensic science to the daily happenings on CSI? Interesting observation considering the number of PYR threads you have...
  5. S

You could, but the fact that the reason economics has developed the way it has is a function of demand. After all there is no such thing as a utopic society, one man's utopia is another's dystopia. Money gives every man the opportunity to pursue his own version of utopia. You have nothing...
  6. S

Quite a lot do, I think I said that. If you actually read my 'waffle' you would've noticed. While I didn't give examples, Health, Education, Nat Parks, Emergency Services all do a great job and in an area that needs public money. My brother-in-law looks after his school's computer network as...
  7. S

As if the Governor General actually appoints the Prime Minister? The GG will invite either Abbott or Gillard to form Government based on whichever one can actually get the Independants to guarantee supply in writing. The GG won't have any influence in the negotiations or the decision, the role...
  8. S

Brisbane has been declared for Gambaro so the final result is 73 seats to the Coalition and 72 to Labor, with 1 Green and 4 Independants. I beleive WA National Tony Crook also wants to be considered an Independant, even though he apparently intends to sit with the Nationals in Parliament.
  9. S

Best Place to live and Ride in Australia

Not much in the way of trails around Airlie Beach. Mackay would be okay but it's an hour south. Townsville has great trails but it's 3 hours north.
  10. S

The Public service is a drain on the purse, it doesn't earn or generate income therefore it only costs. Parts of the public service are quite necessary, they exist for administering and processing things that need to be done. However anyone that has dealt with the mulitple layers of bureaucracy...
  11. S

I doubt it, just a conservative Family First Senator (??that got in on Labor preferences??) that has lost his seat to the Greens letting Bob Brown know his new Senators could face a Double Dissolution vote before they even take up Office. All bluff and bluster, a pissing contest if you will. I...
  12. S

There isn't a difference, only the 'Political will' to do so. When popular opinion demands action the politicians will deliver it. The only way to expediate that would be to find a Politician prepared to spend political capital and demonstrate some leadership on the issue, frankly I wouldn't be...
  13. S

As long as you understand that people are just as passionate about public sector waste. You aren't losing your job, provided you don't quit you'll continue to drain the public purse as long as you desire, that is the difference. As for people not being killed by you, that would be correct. But...
  14. S

While I applaud your actions (regardless of beliefs having the courage of your convictions is commendable) I do think you're one of a very very small minority. Having worked in major industry I watch people every day that won't even take that sort of responsibility for their own actions, let...
  15. S

I wonder if the number that quit in disgust would compare to how many Federal and State Public Servants quit over the abysmal handling of the various stimulus packages? Or ASIO analysts/Dept of Defence Bureaucrats for the intelligence/justification to invade Iraq? Andrew Wilkie appears to be one...