How fast?

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I got a speedo for my birthday on saturday, and this afternoon tested how fats i can go. i got 71.17km/h down mt ainslie in canberra. i know it probably doesnt sound impresive but i am riding a XC bike with 2.1 inch tyres. so how fast have you gone? doesnt mater if its on a xc or road bike, and if youve been down mt ainlie tell me how fast you went?

also if anyone can suggest a steeper hill where i could beat my record in canberra (eg. black mountain, red hill or stromlo) it woulkd be much apreciated.

Dicky

Punter God
There was a thread on this a while back...

79km/h, Alexander St, next to Collaroy cinema (Syd), night, 1.3" slicks, mechanical discs.

Hydros were purchased later that week.

Oh and about 70km/h on this.

That's nothing though, wait til the roadies get hold of this thread... :eek:

Last edited:

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
79km/h, Alexander St, next to Collaroy cinema (Syd), night, 1.3" slicks, mechanical discs.
I know someone who went down there on a beach bike and the brake cable snapped half way down they went for the option of running into the back wall of wicks rather than pittwater road.

One of dales brothers mates did the same and ripped his sack in half.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
108km/h on the roadie! And no, this is not bullshit.

While we're on this topic, are there any Blue Mountains riders who know how fast they have gone down concrete hill out the back of Blaxland tip?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
82.6kmph on the MTB, on the road though.

Not sure about off road, above about 40kmph I am far too busy to check the speedo!

DJ1wheel

Likes Dirt
I know someone who went down there on a beach bike and the brake cable snapped half way down they went for the option of running into the back wall of wicks rather than pittwater road.

One of dales brothers mates did the same and ripped his sack in half.
:eek: Darwin award?

gustfront

Likes Dirt
84km/h in the Flight Centre Epic. Big descent that goes from sealed to dirt about 3/4 the way down. Hitting the change of surface was pretty scary.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was coming back down from charlottes pas to jindy during summer on the roadie, was sitting up cruising down doing 75-80km/h most of the way down then a bloke that would have been at least 110kg was sitting on the top tube tucked down like robbie mac and made me look as though i was standing still.

Disturbed.Rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've done 77 on my first MTB (diamondback response sport).

There's a road near my house that has about 2km run in to a huge bomb down a riverbank (~900m) and I was freespining in 25th when I hit the hill so I cranked it into 27th and gave it a few more cranks, got into the 'superman' postition as best I could sand held on.

Have'nt been back....maby I'll hit it up on the old mans roadie......

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
found a nice hill up in the dandenongs (melbourne) a few weeks back - came down holding the brakes having not ridden it before, felt pretty quick. had a glance at the speedo, 99.7km/h then nearly ragged it as a kid on a 16" rolled out of his driveway across the road in front of me and a car coming the other way.

will have to go back soon, 120 isn't out of the question i don't think. i told a mate about it who took a bunch out there, one hit 117.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Us Tasmanian's have got it good.

To get between some of the trails on MT Wellington you use the road descending.

I've seen 71km/h (I know that's not much in comparison), but the look on tourists face as you overtake them in their hire cars is priceless! :p

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Got a couple

I haven't been too close to my top speed for a while now, but on the MTB a mate and I reckon we hit around 95km/h on a recce ride of the Epic course (that sealed to gravel hill before CP2). We base this on rolling away from 'Solo Saul' who said his computer was reading about 92 or 93.

On the roadie I hit 97.2km/h off the backside of Mt Ventoux, towards Maulacene. Over 100 would have been doable if I was game!

Mike

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Out the back of Lithgow, coming into Lake Lyell from the Tarana/ Rydal road intersection, with a HUGE tailwind. It's not the smoothest road in the world, either! Pretty f**king scary to be honest.
That's a cool bit of road and I've nudged 85km the dirt road that joins up to the bottom of it, Martins Lane, on my xc bike.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1796415

That said I would not take any reading off gps or bike tacko as gospel.

On the old state mine Dh track we had a speed trap for a race and riders were clocking over 65 on rough single track

Last edited:

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've done 79km/h down the tourist road at Mt Macedon (in Vic) on my old Shogun Trailbreaker 3.

More recently I cracked 65km/h down the fire trail section of International at Mt Buller.

---Matt---

toby

Likes Dirt
That's a cool bit of road and I've nudged 85km the dirt road that joins up to the bottom of it, Martins Lane, on my xc bike.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1796415

That said I would not take any reading off gps or bike tacko as gospel.

On the old state mine Dh track we had a speed trap for a race and riders were clocking over 65 on rough single track
mate your heart rate gets to 236 on that motionbase ride you posted!! I've never seen a rate go that high....