Uber bike pads shredding the rotor

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
(and sometimes not braking hard enough often enough)
Like i said - it’s not wear, it’s galling. There is a difference, and it’s not normal.
You said it yourself. Brake like you mean it. Not like your driving Ms Daisy to the shops.

Maybe buy some proper rotors? I never had an issue with Race Matrix on Shimano or Formula rotors. Even less so in the hills.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This is a crappy photo before the torture truly began at Maydena, but you ca already see there is a lot of wear on the rotor from the Saints running sintered pads.
After a week or so in Derby and 1 day in Maydena back in 2018-2019, my Evil following had a 160mm rear Hope rotor, it was down at 0.75mm when I measured it when I got home.

I went in to the shop in Maydena and asked if they had a new 160mm rotor.... did you say 180mm, no 160mm... and I got a look like...

m1.jpg

Got back to Derby the next day and all was good.

The XC weight weenie dies hard in me.

160mm rotor...

ritches.jpg

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I know what a tortured rotor looks like. You should have seen the 140mm I had on the roadie coming down Mt Wellington being clamped by 4 pot Deore rotors with Shimano metal pads.

They howled like a banshee when glowing and it took quite some time for the purple to rub off again!

Anyway, there is wear and then there is galling. Never seen that before…

Haakon

You said it yourself. Brake like you mean it. Not like your driving Ms Daisy to the shops.

Maybe buy some proper rotors? I never had an issue with Race Matrix on Shimano or Formula rotors. Even less so in the hills.
They’re Sram centrelines - not exactly shitty rotors!

Anyhoo, I’ve already trashed one rotor and mostly trashed a second. That damage in the photo is a rotor that is only 4 laps of Meehan old. I’d barely bedded it in and the pads did that to it.

Some Nukeproofs I didn’t like have been put back in…

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Piss taking aside, I have also had rotor(s) like you explained, can't remember the pads, there was tear marks in the steel, like something had stuck in and gouged/wiped the steel face off the rotor. I could feel it gouging with every hard brake, the rotors felt lumpy and fucked, like it was metal on metal and the pads were gone, but they weren't.
Cant remember what I done back then but probably new rotors and pads.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
They’re Sram centrelines - not exactly shitty rotors!

Anyhoo, I’ve already trashed one rotor and mostly trashed a second. That damage in the photo is a rotor that is only 4 laps of Meehan old. I’d barely bedded it in and the pads did that to it.

Some Nukeproofs I didn’t like have been put back in…
You're putting extra pressure on the high spots, you can see where the pads have started to disintegrate from the extra heat. The Grooving in the rotors from semi-metallics is fairly normal, it's less evident when you're not hard on the brakes and they're covered in dust.

You're dragging metal on metal at high speeds what ya think is going to happen?

This is from a car cutting me off on the road at 60km/h over the weekend.

1699178926054.png

1699179089101.png

This is the MTBs
1699179320914.png

1699179408011.png

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I had a bunch of Avid HSX rotors (the previous design before the centrelines) that were soft like cheese compared to normal. Maybe poor heat-treat or bad metalurgy. Was definitely some sort of quality control issue.

Haakon

So in lieu of replacing rotors every dozen rides or finding another rotor that might not be shredded, I’ll try another pad.

It’s for the Trance which basically my XC bike so it’s not getting hammered on long descents. Just after good sharp cold bite.
What’s good these days…?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
@Haakon did you email Uberbike for their opinion? I have used Race Matrix for years don’t recall a pair ever looking like that. Will look through the brakes box at some point to see if there is any old pads in there.

Haakon

@Haakon did you email Uberbike for their opinion? I have used Race Matrix for years don’t recall a pair ever looking like that. Will look through the brakes box at some point to see if there is any old pads in there.
I did. They’re telling me galling is normal…

umm. Ok… :rolleyes:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I did. They’re telling me galling is normal…

umm. Ok… :rolleyes:
It is normal, you’re just going through the first stage of grief. You’ll learn to accept your new shape eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

It is normal, you’re just going through the first stage of grief. You’ll learn to accept your new shape eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rotor is in the bin after half a dozen XC rides. I guess I just don’t have your brake budget to consider this normal…

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
These are my Race Matrix. Used on Hayes rotors through winter. Rotors still going with new Hayes pads. I also ride like Miss Daisy with plenty of brake dragging. Weird.

1699313977139.png

Haakon

These are my Race Matrix. Used on Hayes rotors through winter. Rotors still going with new Hayes pads. I also ride like Miss Daisy with plenty of brake dragging. Weird.

View attachment 404221
Huh. They look nothing like mine. One wonders if there was a mix up a batch and someone dropped in too much metal particles!