The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have circled back here from a previous discussion. the UCI, Swimming and Athletics world governing bodies have decided that a free for all is definitely not the answer, and that dudes who go through puberty and then take hormones and alter their appearance to identify as female - won't be eligible to compete in elite competition in the female category.

You missed the most important one, world chess.
When there is no debate about a physical advantage you would think it would be allowed in Chess with out a fuss.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes, it's a tricky one when it comes to sport. And I think the sports bodies themselves will just have to work it out.

The biggest thing with most competitive sports, is having a genetically derived advantage over your opponents. Sure, skills and training come into it but to be successful at the elite level, really come down to you predisposed genetic advantage.
If you are very tall you will have an advantage with sports like basketball, if you have a naturally strong build, you will be more likely to succeed in sports where strength is an advantage, and so on.
Traditionally we have split sports up with men's and women's categories. Maybe there should just be one category and while they are at it throw performance enhancing drugs and the like into it as well for one big freak show free for all!
I would suggest sailing as an exception to that general pattern; males and females for the most part compete in mixed fleets, and in many two (or more)-handed classes mixed crews are fairly common, and can be very competitive. At the National Championship for the type of boat I sail earlier this year, three of the top four crews were mixed, and I think around 1/3 of the whole fleet too. Weight and strength help in some conditions, but in lighter conditions can be a disadvantage. Being able to read the continuously variable conditions and tune the boat to them to stay fast is a big part of the skill of sailing, and some people get it better than others, regardless of gender

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I suspect we are in a time of new learnings. I doubt that there is a rule that can be applied to determine to what degree muscle mass or strength is impacted by the change in hormones and one size fits all is unlikely to be satisfactory.

With regards to anything cerebral there is no issue. Women can well hold their own on that score.

With something physical where strength or muscle mass or stamina etc etc (I know nothing...) or any of the other things that the male frame and hormones provide and advantage for need to have clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty applied. Create a new category though then you could argue that women transitioning to men would be disadvantaged compared to men transitioning to women (see I told you I have no ideas).

Should we open this up as a new topic?

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Will anti-wokes force robots to get e-prostates and e-ovaries installed?
Or just discriminate based on charging/data ports? What if they get an upgrade? :eek:

safreek

I suspect we are in a time of new learnings. I doubt that there is a rule that can be applied to determine to what degree muscle mass or strength is impacted by the change in hormones and one size fits all is unlikely to be satisfactory.

With regards to anything cerebral there is no issue. Women can well hold their own on that score.

With something physical where strength or muscle mass or stamina etc etc (I know nothing...) or any of the other things that the male frame and hormones provide and advantage for need to have clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty applied. Create a new category though then you could argue that women transitioning to men would be disadvantaged compared to men transitioning to women (see I told you I have no ideas).

Should we open this up as a new topic?
That's the proplem, you don't see women who transition into men lining up to compete. Seems you can drown a woman in testosterone and it still only turns her into a averagely strong man.
So far man can't defeat natures programing of men and women.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That's the proplem, you don't see women who transition into men lining up to compete. Seems you can drown a woman in testosterone and it still only turns her into a averagely strong man.
So far man can't defeat natures programing of men and women.
WTF?

safreek

Here is the difference between man and woman bench press record.
The male benches more than double the female record.
Absolutely guarantee you if he went on estrogen and she took truckloads of roids( almost definitely on them already) she would still have no hope of besting him.

To say otherwise is sheer stupidity
Screenshot_2023-10-11-11-03-49-55_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-11-11-02-52-53_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg