2021 Trans Tasmania Enduro

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'm am literally dumbfounded at all the Queenstown love.

My whole review on QT could be summed up as... It had an awesome view :oops:
I remember thinking @ozzybmx must have been on drugs. In saying that I don’t think I’d want to be there on a hot, dry dusty day.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So my last day of the race was interesting. After the previous days , a 6.5 hour bus trip the day before, not enough food during the bus trip then onto a shuttle within 30 min of arriving, then riding the Gnarliest trails Derby has to offer I was shagged.
First stage I stacked. Hard. Pedal strike sent me over the bars. Ironic as it was the mellowest flowy trail of the week but a lazy pedal and rock got me. Anyway back on the bike and still PR’d the trail according to strava.
stage two. 100 meters in I take a drop and bang. No rear brake. I knew my pads were gone and could hear the pistons contacting the rotor but red mist wouldn’t let me stop. I finished the trail on the front brakes only which I certainly would not advise. Looking at it I can see the pad retaining bolt is gone. And pads.

My zip ties were too big to fit through the hole so decided to use the bolt from the front in the rear and finish on rear brakes only. Then a fellow came past that had baby zip ties so I was suddenly back in action. So get to stage 3 and take off and 10meters in bang. Same deal!!
so I hop and run and ride down the trail really trying not to get in the way of the next 5 riders that passed me including @Boom King that was wearing a serious raceface after bunnyhopping a black snake! That was my stage done and put me almost at the back of the pack for the standings that day.
Get to the bottom and have a closer look.
now this is where I should probably be in the FW thread.
I had 200 rotors in before I left but decided to run some 203 ice techs instead. Can you see where this is heading?
I didn’t have proper adapters so lifted it up with washers. Thought it was enough and for 4 days of racing it was.
Well today it wasn’t and for whatever reason maybe the crash in stage one moved something around I dunno I could see that the passage of the rotor was passing straight through where the bolt used to live.
NFI what’s going on. So I chuck some dome head washers under which lifts it up so I now have 3/4 pad contactip ties in the front and rear and I’m about to hit Trouty. The final stage of the days. Steep, fast, technical and is due a LOT of respect. I decide to just send it snd through caution to the wind. Which was probably foolish after that dude separated is leg joint from his body a few minutes previous.
Anyway I made it to the bottom in one piece and head to the gathering spot and proceed to drink beer and high five every one I could find!
In fact I think I’m done with the user name Jpez. It’s lame! I think ‘Ziptie’ is much more fitting !!! :p @Tubbsy can you change my username please?? If not at least I know what my plate name will be next year.
my biggest take away from this is to carry zip ties of EVERY size!
Kudos to @Boom King for finishing the race after offering his bibbed front side to the abrasive rocks of Derby.
@rstim and @kten it was great to meet you guys and shoot the shit. And drool over that stunning Stanton. I may or may not have stroked it in a creepy manner when your back was turned.

What an event. Still buzzing. Completely and utterly shagged and sore as hell from 2 stacks but still can’t wipe the grin off. There was almost not a person standing at the end that didn’t have have cuts, abrasions, bruises and broken bikes at the end of it but smiles all round.
@DMan full respect to your wife for giving up a whole week as a volunteer and of course all the rest of the amazing volunteers. I’d say I had some of the best times I’ve ever had on a bike on the trip. The fact it was a race was irrelevant. It was being part of something like it, meeting so many likeminded people that love a chat, to encourage, help out and share the good times.
It will take me a while to come down from this one. My mind has already turned to next years.
Man, she had a blast. She was so impressed with even after a grueling day there was still so many smiling, knackered, demented riders chatting and enjoying a beer together. Even she had a crash on the first reccie day and smashed a lever off. Kudos to everyone there and I think I have a premonition of some enduros together in my future....

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'm am literally dumbfounded at all the Queenstown love.
My whole review on QT could be summed up as... It had an awesome view :oops:
Interesting to hear the views. My riding group hit the trails over there last October, but I missed out due to work. Noting that this was before the waterfall trail had opened I'd say the vast majority of opinions were aligned with @ozzybmx

Jpez

Down on the left!
Interesting to hear the views. My riding group hit the trails over there last October, but I missed out due to work. Noting that this was before the waterfall trail had opened I'd say the vast majority of opinions were aligned with @ozzybmx
I certainly wouldn’t go there if I had to push up any of the climbs I had to do and possibly the trails seems better ridden at race pace. Also watching a vid of riders on a hot sketchy day didn’t fill me with confidence. Especially as my most favouriteist trails ever anywhere are the You Yangs on dry sketchy day ;) I wasn’t particularly looking forward to it. But with several days of rain making for a grippy surface and someone telling me I had to go fast I had a lot of fun.
Or maybe us Vics are so starved for quality and varied trails it seemed better than it was?? Whatever it was I really really enjoyed riding them on the day. There were people at dinner that didn’t rate them. But everyone agreed Natural selection was pretty rad. Either because it presented a great challenge to ride at speed or it scared the pants off them.