First trail wheelset advice

moorey

call me Mia
Y’all druggo’s. I’ve got a dozen wheelsets on Hope hubs. Dating back 10 years or more old. Never done a bearing.
As far as rims, Felix can kill most things. Can’t kill the Hope DHtech rims.
35w’s are a little soft, mind.

Jpez

Down on the left!
PSA..
He seems like a nice enough bloke but his communication is shit. Getting a rear wheel built up now and it’s been over three weeks and I’ve had to hassle him for updates of where he’s at with it and I still don’t know. So if it’s just DT stuff which he has in stock then happy days probably.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
PSA..
He seems like a nice enough bloke but his communication is shit. Getting a rear wheel built up now and it’s been over three weeks and I’ve had to hassle him for updates of where he’s at with it and I still don’t know. So if it’s just DT stuff which he has in stock then happy days probably.
Good to know thanks @Jpez, hope the wheel gets sorted soon.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
PSA..
Bugger that's a shame :(

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Y’all druggo’s. I’ve got a dozen wheelsets on Hope hubs. Dating back 10 years or more old. Never done a bearing.
I have had a few sets and the only set I still have is on the Muru. Replaced all bearings on the rear, something was crunchy. 'Twas a single main bearing. Could probably have cleaned it and regreased but bearings are cheap. Not unexpected on a bike that only gets ridden on the beach or desert.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Yeah but that is why youve never done a bearing. You’ve got 15 wheel sets that might see 100km a year. Give one set to Felix and you’ll be swapping out bearings every year. If not you’re the reason he’s coming 2nd.

also, it’s 2021 being a druggo is acceptable. If you need a pre race bump to get you up to mid pack in supermasters ima hook u up :D

@Chriso_29er youre better off buying the hopes then relacing new rims at a later date. You’ve been given the spiel on hope hubs they’re not maintenance free, but they are idiot proof.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah but that is why youve never done a bearing. You’ve got 15 wheel sets that might see 100km a year. Give one set to Felix and you’ll be swapping out bearings every year. If not you’re the reason he’s coming 2nd.
Yes and no. 1/2 of them are used to death on bikes that all do a ton of km’s.
They were an already well used set that went onto Felix’s Kona, they were thrashed to death and went on the bike when we sold it. His school commuter has had an old set of mine on there. It’s ridden about 70km a week, every week to school plus some trail riding.

I’m not kink shaming you druggo’s, I’m just calling a spade a spade.... :p

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yes and no. 1/2 of them are used to death on bikes that all do a ton of km’s.
They were an already well used set that went onto Felix’s Kona, they were thrashed to death and went on the bike when we sold it. His school commuter has had an old set of mine on there. It’s ridden about 70km a week, every week to school plus some trail riding.

You guys are just lightweights.

Given that I've cracked an alloy Hope Pro2 freehub and have broken a few Shimano XT alloy spiders, I reckon I could munch the bearings in your wheels in no time.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, on inspection of my bike after yesterday's ride, my plight had become a little more urgent. Seems the only thing holding air in my front wheel is the sticker

So given 'in stock' and available in a couple of days I've ordered some Sun Ringle duroc 30.

I'll save the Hope's or DT's for the next beast (I'm due an upgrade ), I didn't want to go crazy on a 3yo $3k Trance haha.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Screenshot_20210607-092400_Gallery.jpg

PJO

in me vL comy
Well, on inspection of my bike after yesterday's ride, my plight had become a little more urgent. Seems the only thing holding air in my front wheel is the sticker

So given 'in stock' and available in a couple of days I've ordered some Sun Ringle duroc 30.

I'll save the Hope's or DT's for the next beast (I'm due an upgrade ), I didn't want to go crazy on a 3yo $3k Trance haha.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

View attachment 376274
Hard to see but is that a crack in the rim that is leading down to that sticker bubble?

Flow-Rider

Burner

also, it’s 2021 being a druggo is acceptable. If you need a pre race bump to get you up to mid pack in supermasters ima hook u up :D

@Chriso_29er youre better off buying the hopes then relacing new rims at a later date. You’ve been given the spiel on hope hubs they’re not maintenance free, but they are idiot proof.
I've got 3 sets of hope hubs, 2 with well over 2000kms, I'm starting to feel some bearing roughness now but no different to many of the other brands I've owned and probably last longer if you regrease them from new, they're not a hub for people that like a quick engagement hubs.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
U call a spade a spade until you have to the diggin

I've got 3 sets of hope hubs, 2 with well over 2000kms, I'm starting to feel some bearing roughness now but no different to many of the other brands I've owned and probably last longer if you regrease them from new, they're not a hub for people that like a quick engagement hubs.
And you can go to the closest SKF bearing shop and buy replacements at $7 a pop. It’s great.
I’ve never understood the want for super high engagement hubs unless you’re doing trials.