From the Blue Skye to the Deep Green Sea - Transition Spur

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ordered these rims, same semi stealth decals (we are brand ambassadors) so need to keep the Nextie decals and going, got 7 x 'N' around the wheels, got the AM build with 27mm internal width. Could have gone for the 30mm internal Ultralights but they have a 2.5mm wall thickness, the ones I have picked have 2.8mm which is only a little short from the 3mm enduro/downhill builds.

Rims will weigh 370g each.

View attachment 375386

The DT full wheel build with 28h, Competition 2/1.8/2 spokes, DT240's and brass nipples will come in at 1507g... a full fucking 780g lighter than the standard factory pov-pack wheels.

View attachment 375387
How much does that come to inc delivery?

Also, what does it mean to be a brand ambassador for them?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
The DT full wheel build with 28h, Competition 2/1.8/2 spokes, DT240's and brass nipples will come in at 1507g... a full fucking 780g lighter than the standard factory pov-pack wheels
Sound great. Just check the serial number on that hub!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
How much does that come to inc delivery?

Also, what does it mean to be a brand ambassador for them?
It means I get a special price on the rims.

I do still pay full price on shipping which is $60usd.

They use EMS for shipping which gets the rims from China to your front door in 5-7 days.

One thing about Nextie rims is the published ERD, it always seems on the short side by about ~4mm so I never order spokes using the website ERD, instead waiting till I get the rims and measure it myself. It delays the build by several weeks but saves reordering spokes.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It means I get a special price on the rims.

I do still pay full price on shipping which is $60usd.

They use EMS for shipping which gets the rims from China to your front door in 5-7 days.

One thing about Nextie rims is the published ERD, it always seems on the short side by about ~4mm so I never order spokes using the website ERD, instead waiting till I get the rims and measure it myself. It delays the build by several weeks but saves reordering spokes.
Just how many rims did you order before you headed down the ambassador path?* Somehow I don't think my 6 so far will cut it somehow... :p

*I don't actually expect an answer to this!

ozzybmx

Just how many rims did you order before you headed down the ambassador path?* Somehow I don't think my 6 so far will cut it somehow... :p

*I don't actually expect an answer to this!
It wasn't the amount of rims.

Story coming...

Back in the fatbike days, I came up with a design on a set of fatbike rims that the new carbon wheel company called Nextie were releasing. I sent him the design before the release as I was excited about the first set of fatbike rims that would actually work tubeless without a kilo of tape and foam. He was originally releasing these in plain black Matt or Gloss.
I wanted a set of carbon rims painted yellow and the Nextie name printed around each side in 3 places like ENVE decal placement. Yellow wheels below, this picture is still on his website somewhere.

He made them for me, took pictures of the painted rims and put them on his website, I shared it over at MTBR and the snow riders jumped all over it. He said it was the biggest single jump in his business and the pivotal point in the Nextie name getting out there. The painted rims orders were his biggest sellers.

I also think the wrapped single decal on my first set on MTB wheels came from my idea and even possibly the single wrapped outline. Up until then he only offered small 3 'Nextie' on each side.

He used to send me free sets to ride, different colours (fluro green, B&W below), some prototype ideas... even got a 29" MTB 6 spoke full carbon mag wheel here that he was messing with at one stage. Even up until recently, he would send my order and an additional set of rims would turn up with a note explaining what they were. I still have a set of Kevlar impregnated road/CX/touring rims still unbuilt that were extras.
He sent me 2 free sets of what were his new Premium XC rims for my boys to race on so they tag #nextie on their Instagram podium pictures and some of the race pics get shared by Nextie Au.

I used to order rims for mates but they kept cracking them, buying UL carbon XC rims then hitting rock gardens at full speed, running low pressures, not checking pressures before every ride or burping a tyre and continuing to ride.
It was wearing my favours thin, he replaced about 5 rims for other people free of charge that I had bought on a massive discounted price. It was time to stop, no more rim sets for mates.
I was ripping the ass out of his kindness and if I continued... would eventually shit in my own nest.

beeb

He hasn't bit on my 'N' design though... the order for this bike is the 3rd set of them with the 'N' placement, maybe because its stealthy and doesn't actually have the Nextie name on it.
A large part of the reason I buy Nexties is because I can get them without any branding!

Happily recommend their product to whoever asks about it, but yeah - I love having no decals. If I had to have them your wrapped N's would be pretty tempting though, I like how they look on your Deviate.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
A large part of the reason I buy Nexties is because I can get them without any branding!

Happily recommend their product to whoever asks about it, but yeah - I love having no decals. If I had to have them your wrapped N's would be pretty tempting though, I like how they look on your Deviate.
I bought some LightBicycle wheels for my roadie, they do them how you want them - I got mine with just a grey valve decal as opposed to all of the rest of the decals.
I do like the wrapped N's on this too, they look sweet

ozzybmx

I bought some LightBicycle wheels for my roadie, they do them how you want them - I got mine with just a grey valve decal as opposed to all of the rest of the decals.
To see the 'N's, the light has to be reflecting right.

Basically they just look black unless you look closer, then the 'N's stand out.

beeb

I think they're the same company these days, just different "store fronts" (IIRC).

ozzybmx

I think they're the same company these days, just different "store fronts" (IIRC).
Nextie came from a split, Brian was one of the founders of LB.

It was a very personal reason for the split, I dont think they even speak to each other and as far as I gathered, it was a clean buyout split.

beeb

Nextie came from a split, Brian was one of the founders of LB.

It was a very personal reason for the split, I dont think they even speak to each other and as far as I gathered, it was a clean buyout split.
NFI about the history, just thought I saw something saying they merged together to simplify product lines sometime in the last 18 months or so? Only a vague recollection, so might be totally off-track!

ozzybmx

NFI about the history, just thought I saw something saying they merged together to simplify product lines sometime in the last 18 months or so? Only a vague recollection, so might be totally off-track!
Could have @beeb I haven't seen anything but also have not been looking :)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
buying UL carbon XC rims then hitting rock gardens at full speed, running low pressures, not checking pressures before every ride or burping a tyre and continuing to ride.
Uuuuuuugh, people who do crap like this don't deserve to have nice things.
To be fair the branding is pretty subtle if you just go with the black:

ozzybmx

Uuuuuuugh, people who do crap like this don't deserve to have nice things.
Thats the big thing about choosing carbon rims, pick the correct rim for your riding, ride to it capabilities and make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure. It easy to start reading weights and want lighter and lighter rims.

When you pick 280g XC race rims on the limit of riding or weight of rider, you leave very little room for error.