Motorized Doping is Real - Belgian Rider Found with Hidden Motor at CX Worlds

moorey

call me Mia
Surely there would be an easy weigh in check? An 8kg race bike isn't going to weigh 8kg with motor and batteries? :noidea:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
This shit has been happening for a while, it seems. old mate at the CX worlds is only the latest incidence

Ryder Hesjedal at the 2014 Vuelta de Espana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynLMfzLTc8M

Type Hesjedal into google, and google auto-prompts you with "hesjedal MOTOR"

Fabian Cancellara may also be crooked as fuck, esp the way he taps part of his handlebar where the brifter doesn't acuate a gear change
(in the tour of Flanders, I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE
(jump to 3:29 for the race footage)
Also watch the way he 'motors' away from his breakaway riders seated and apparently effortless. looks F'ing dodgy to me, YMMV...

Greg Lemond demonstrates motor in bike
- The batteries can be made small enough to fit inside the bike frame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgJ_Uhwfno

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Surely there would be an easy weigh in check? An 8kg race bike isn't going to weigh 8kg with motor and batteries? :noidea:
back in 2009, Scott made a production carbon road bike that was illegal for UCI events.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-scott-addict-ltd-09-31974/

The new Addict is so light that, when it comes to the UCI weight limit for bikes in sanctioned competitions it’s illegal.
A size S bike prepared for the Challenge Mallorca weighed so little – 6.2kg – that weights had to be added on to legalise it.
Scott says the frame can weigh as little as 796g, which explains why a complete size S bike is a headache for the scrutineers and mechanics.

That's back in 2009. I suspect carbon fibre frame making has advanced since then.

I wonder if there are any motors in XC MTB events. wouldn't surprise me at all.

John U

MTB Precision
Other than running a pedaling aid, there isn't much else you could do on a bicycle that would give you an advantage over the competition. It'd be a massive dick around pulling the bikes apart to check every one of them but it may be required if shitbags like this lot in question are going to cheat.
I see x-raying bikes or something similar before riders are allowed out in big races in the future. If my bike was tuned within an inch of its life before a race I wouldn't want some UCI git then pulling it apart immediately prior to a race.

Maybe they could just use a magnet as a flagging device before going ahead with stripping down a bike?

MARKL

Eats Squid
back in 2009, Scott made a production carbon road bike that was illegal for UCI events.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-scott-addict-ltd-09-31974/

The new Addict is so light that, when it comes to the UCI weight limit for bikes in sanctioned competitions it’s illegal.
A size S bike prepared for the Challenge Mallorca weighed so little – 6.2kg – that weights had to be added on to legalise it.
Scott says the frame can weigh as little as 796g, which explains why a complete size S bike is a headache for the scrutineers and mechanics.

That's back in 2009. I suspect carbon fibre frame making has advanced since then.

I wonder if there are any motors in XC MTB events. wouldn't surprise me at all.
Agreed, mate of mine rides a Look road bike that is way under the UCI limits and there is still room to move with lighter wheels etc.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Other than running a pedaling aid, there isn't much else you could do on a bicycle that would give you an advantage over the competition. It'd be a massive dick around pulling the bikes apart to check every one of them but it may be required if shitbags like this lot in question are going to cheat.
Agreed. My issue is this had to be driven by the team (and possibly the manufacturer). I think her punishment should be on a par with a similar offence by a drug cheat. The team and especially management should be shown the door and told never to return in any capacity. I would also expect questions to be asked of the manufacturer, if they had any involvement show them the door as well.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
... And her brother is currently serving a ban for using EPO.

Travis.
AHahahahaaa! The dirt is coming out on this cheating family eh?

I am looking forward to SamD's take on this :spy:
Do you think he may be involved? The timing is right, maybe this is his big introduction to the world of lazy bike riders taking over? Cyclocross and E bike's go well together.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You could just use a magnet or an x-ray machine like at the airports.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
[video=youtube_share;kv3CiyrRTMg]http://youtu.be/kv3CiyrRTMg[/video]
In that video, she clearly has the legs on everyone else. Is it possible that she is better than everyone else and won the trophy or is it the gear grinder kicking in?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
In Everyone of those videos demonstrating the tech the motor is audibly noticeable, how are they doing it silently? Surely a competitor next to such a rider would hear it when the motor is engaged?

John U

MTB Precision
In that video, she clearly has the legs on everyone else. Is it possible that she is better than everyone else and won the trophy or is it the gear grinder kicking in?
With much less upper body movement, she appears to be doing it much easier than EVERYONE ELSE in the field and she's pulling away at the same time. I think one or the other may be possible, but not both at the same time. Looks suss.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
In Everyone of those videos demonstrating the tech the motor is audibly noticeable, how are they doing it silently? Surely a competitor next to such a rider would hear it when the motor is engaged?

Just look at how quiet some of the portable house fans are these days. I think you can easily make a small motor quiet , enough for someone at above 10km/h to not notice it. It's not a big arse motor like on an average e-bike.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/produkte/vivax-assist-4-0/vivax-assist_4-0.php

They are an after market fit on, I read about them a while back when the Cancellara motor doping rumour was going.

There would have to be some way of fitting the batteries in the seatpost for a small assisted boost rather than 45mins of power.

Could possibly be only the rider and the mechanic involved... I wouldn't think any manufacturer would condone cheating, they would just sponsor a better rider.

Still a bit of weight in the unit and battery, though grabbing a 110w boost would definitely help you up that awkward hill.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
With much less upper body movement, she appears to be doing it much easier than EVERYONE ELSE in the field and she's pulling away at the same time. I think one or the other may be possible, but not both at the same time. Looks suss.
I can't help but think that any sort of extra propulsion would force your rear wheel to spin. Let's face it, a CX bike doesn't have a huge tread pattern and depth to start with, surely an extra helping of horsepower would force a reduction in grip and could even do more harm than good?
I'm not defending this sort of stuff but I do like to think of both sides. Regardless of what is ruled on this, the team has to be accountable for running a concealed system like that and not disclosing it. If you have nothing to hide then wouldn't it be beneficial for your reputation to just put it out there for use in training? That's the clincher for me.