New XT.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Genuine curiosity, how do you mean the pedal is dogging into the crank arm? Pics?
Damage to crank arm

This is one of the offending pedals

I need a washer that sits on the pedal axle between it and the crank arm to prevent the axle from digging further into the cranks. Surprised neither pedals or cranks were supplied with them.

Hoping I can source some locally?

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Yeah, I know the washer. Usually comes with the cranks. That's a tad bit annoying.
Should be able to grab one from a nut and bolt shop if bike stores fall through.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last edited:

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
XTs have never come with pedal washers. They are only supplied with the Shimano cranks that run steel inserts (eg Saint, Hone, SLX).

Warp

Likes Dirt
Umm, is that "elevate" the problem or supposed to be alleviate?
Must be alleviate.

But moving the chainring inwards then makes the chainline sketchy on the 11t, doesn't it?
May be a minor issue as you don't spend much time there anyways.

I know I don't get much of a pedal-backward drama in the 28t mounted on the inner mount of a 2X crankset. No dramas at all on the 10t.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Must be alleviate.

But moving the chainring inwards then makes the chainline sketchy on the 11t, doesn't it?
May be a minor issue as you don't spend much time there anyways.

I know I don't get much of a pedal-backward drama in the 28t mounted on the inner mount of a 2X crankset. No dramas at all on the 10t.
There's almost always a price to be paid ( re chain line ) . There is no doubt in my mind that Shimano 11 changes better at the outside of the cassette than SRAM, so it follows that the price shimano has paid is that 42 back-pedalling is compromised. I just can't imagine myself ever needing to in anything other than the middle of the cassette.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Yeah, the pedal is a welgo mg-5. Do they have a bad rep?
It's probably just coincidence, welgo pedal on XT crank in wifes bike, it was tightened correctly.

I've seen two others do the same, those pedals have been on saint cranks for the last three years, no issues, just seems strange that this is the 4th XT crank / welgo pedal that has gone bad.

Wife kept pedalling hence the epic damage, gripsport put in a helicoil, fixed perfectly.

XT crank.JPG

Smitsone

Likes Bikes
Help required with new xt build

Hi all, having problems installing new xt.main problem is that the chain is lifting off the front of the chainring and eventually falls off.Its all shimano kit, Tried to upload a photo but it's wrong format.Did just notice that I have got the BB spacer on the drive side, should probably move it to the other side. I will try and post a photo, any ideas ????

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Does it do it only in a particular rear gear, or does that not matter?

BB spacer should be on the drive side; it's to take up the space that may otherwise be occupied by a BB-mounted chain guide.

You didn't do something stupid & get a Boost-compatible crank when you need a normal one did you? (Boost has a 3mm outward offset for the ring/s compared to standard. Identified by a B suffix to the part number).

Smitsone

Likes Bikes
Does it do it only in a particular rear gear, or does that not matter?

BB spacer should be on the drive side; it's to take up the space that may otherwise be occupied by a BB-mounted chain guide.

You didn't do something stupid & get a Boost-compatible crank when you need a normal one did you? (Boost has a 3mm outward offset for the ring/s compared to standard. Identified by a B suffix to the part number).
Seems mainly in 2,smallest cogs, will go and have a look at the crank type, pretty certain it's not a boost

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Two smallest is weird; really it's only the biggest one that's on a different chainline compared to an 8, 9 or 10-sp. cassette, the rest are damn near the same, and the single ring is (well, should be) on the same alignment as the big of a double or middle of a triple. Moving the BB spacer to the other side will make things worse.

You haven't done something daft like put the ring on backwards?