The Death Penalty

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There's a few of them, Stern Hu is the most high profile example. He has been charged, found guilty and sentenced. I'm not aware of anything that's not public but from what I know he was most definitely acting corruptly..., which is fairly common in China.
Thats the one I was thinking of. Now for a bit of "from memory"... Was he not under fear of death when it all blew up? And as you point out, he was just following customary business practices. A similar issue to the money paler guys a little while ago.

scblack

Leucocholic
Thats the one I was thinking of. Now for a bit of "from memory"... Was he not under fear of death when it all blew up? And as you point out, he was just following customary business practices. A similar issue to the money paler guys a little while ago.
Not as far I was aware, the financial news covered his case a fair bit.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah it was big in the news because he was a Rio employee and his case related our biggest export, iron ore.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I was browsing a surfing website earlier and one of the most clicked stories had the headline of "How the executions of two Australians will affect your surfing in Indo"...............

Wow. Please tell me that the friendly smile and G'day to people of Indonesia by people travelling from Australia is not jeopardised because of the actions of a bunch of crooked idiot drug runners. Surely the decision that bunch of people made is not dictating the direction of living happily ever after for the rest of us?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I was browsing a surfing website earlier and one of the most clicked stories had the headline of "How the executions of two Australians will affect your surfing in Indo"...............

Wow. Please tell me that the friendly smile and G'day to people of Indonesia by people travelling from Australia is not jeopardised because of the actions of a bunch of crooked idiot drug runners. Surely the decision that bunch of people made is not dictating the direction of living happily ever after for the rest of us?
According to the pollies and journos it is. Taking out the debate over the death penalty, I really feel we've glossing over the fact they are convicted drug traffickers. Kgs not grams either.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thank God! (not that there is a God) at least we can now look forward to the media moving on to another story in a couple of days.

And that folks is an indication of my interest in this issue.
Fuck them, they knew what the penalty was before they organised/coerced the other 7 in to the smuggling operation
Reformed? Rehabilitated?
Ha!
Having the death penalty hanging over your head would make anyone reform, it doesn't mean that grants you clemency in my book.

There isn't really even an issue............they were caught trafficking drugs in a country where the penalty for drug trafficking is clearly defined as death. I personally think that not showing clemency sends a message.......however there will probably always be some people desperate enough to chance facing the firing squad because they are basically stupid.

What I have a hard time understanding is the amount of emotional energy, media coverage and political interference that has been created by a criminal case where there is no doubt as to the guilt of the accused.

scblack

Leucocholic
There isn't really even an issue............they were caught trafficking drugs in a country where the penalty for drug trafficking is clearly defined as death. I personally think that not showing clemency sends a message.......however there will probably always be some people desperate enough to chance facing the firing squad because they are basically stupid.

What I have a hard time understanding is the amount of emotional energy, media coverage and political interference that has been created by a criminal case where there is no doubt as to the guilt of the accused.
Completely agreed.

Now, since the USA has the death penalty currently in many states - where is the bleeding hearts brigade attacking the USA?

Or was this instance just the latest interesting news story that they jumped up and joined the rent-a-crowd with their faux anger?

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Completely agreed.

Now, since the USA has the death penalty currently in many states - where is the bleeding hearts brigade attacking the USA?

Or was this instance just the latest interesting news story that they jumped up and joined the rent-a-crowd with their faux anger?
Has to be this!

The people that are creating hashtags to boycott Bali is especially entertaining. Id really love to see the bill the tax payers had to foot for 10 years of incarceration with so many appeals. So many more people that are deserving of the time/energy/money that these two idiots have received!

You have to remind yourself - If they were successful, would they have paid tax on all of the drug money they made? Donated a portion of it to charities? stopped after one run? etc..

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i had to stay off Facebook yesterday because the rage i felt when reading all the sob stories about the executions reached Biblical proportions.

- no, i don't support the death penalty for Australian law.

- i do, however, have to grudgingly respect the sovereign law of other countries. i do NOT have a right to tell them how to hand down their laws.

- i will, however, support Australian law over cultural laws where in Australia those cultural mores will harm Australian residents, regardless of their ethnicity. for example, helping women flee abusive husbands.

it's not black and white.

but on the day that two repeat offender drug smugglers were executed, another woman died as a result of domestic violence. she was number 34 in Australia this year alone. where was the outrage? where were the sit-ins? the famous musicians holding candlelight vigils? where was the MERCY hashtag Twitter storm when this woman died?

i can't stop the corruption in our judicial system, or any other country for that matter, but i can say, i have no compassion for those two men why systematically set out to make money off the suffering of others. sure, people choose to use drugs. sure, people come from bad backgrounds and are more vulnerable to drug use. but how about we look at the causes and spend our energies trying to fix that, rather than weep over deaths that they themselves asked for with their own choices.

i feel for their families. i've lost loved ones to drugs, depression, alcohol, suicide and even murder. no mother can watch her child die and not feel like she could have done something to prevent it.

but whilst the media frenzy weeps and moans over those two men, 34 women so far this year have died at the hands of their partners - and the media silence is deafening.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Here here Norco Maniac, well put.
Slightly off topic; seeing as we tend to run with some nicknames around here and we know each other, can I just start calling you Norcs? :heh:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Here here Norco Maniac, well put.
Slightly off topic; seeing as we tend to run with some nicknames around here and we know each other, can I just start calling you Norcs? :heh:
just call me Violet :) i'd ask for my old Shrieking Violet username back but it might confuse the newer peeps - or make Knuckles more paranoid about my judgement than he already is :tape2:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
i had to stay off Facebook yesterday because the rage i felt when reading all the sob stories about the executions reached Biblical proportions.

- no, i don't support the death penalty for Australian law.

- i do, however, have to grudgingly respect the sovereign law of other countries. i do NOT have a right to tell them how to hand down their laws.

- i will, however, support Australian law over cultural laws where in Australia those cultural mores will harm Australian residents, regardless of their ethnicity. for example, helping women flee abusive husbands.

it's not black and white.

but on the day that two repeat offender drug smugglers were executed, another woman died as a result of domestic violence. she was number 34 in Australia this year alone. where was the outrage? where were the sit-ins? the famous musicians holding candlelight vigils? where was the MERCY hashtag Twitter storm when this woman died?

i can't stop the corruption in our judicial system, or any other country for that matter, but i can say, i have no compassion for those two men why systematically set out to make money off the suffering of others. sure, people choose to use drugs. sure, people come from bad backgrounds and are more vulnerable to drug use. but how about we look at the causes and spend our energies trying to fix that, rather than weep over deaths that they themselves asked for with their own choices.

i feel for their families. i've lost loved ones to drugs, depression, alcohol, suicide and even murder. no mother can watch her child die and not feel like she could have done something to prevent it.

but whilst the media frenzy weeps and moans over those two men, 34 women so far this year have died at the hands of their partners - and the media silence is deafening.
Here here Norco, Violet or Norcs. Very well put.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Except in this case they were only caught in indonesia because the Australian authorities robbed them in (probably to win favour). They should have been arrested here and put to trial in a system that reflects the values of the citizens and government represented by those authorities.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Except in this case they were only caught in indonesia because the Australian authorities dobbed them in (probably to win favour). They should have been arrested here and put to trial in a system that reflects the values of the citizens and government represented by those authorities.
herein lies the conundrum.

did Australian authorities have evidence to arrest them on our home soil? if so, i would agree they should be tried under our law.

is it possible to have clear demarcation lines between countries and their laws where there are trade and political agreements?

and what political capital is Abbott now gaining, seeing that he's made deals about towing refugee boats back and how Indonesia is killing native West Papua indigents as we type?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
herein lies the conundrum.

did Australian authorities have evidence to arrest them on our home soil? if so, i would agree they should be tried under our law.

is it possible to have clear demarcation lines between countries and their laws where there are trade and political agreements?

and what political capital is Abbott now gaining, seeing that he's made deals about towing refugee boats back and how Indonesia is killing native West Papua indigents as we type?
They had suspicion...otherwise they wouldn't have had anything to say. The evidence (I believe) was strapped to their bodies, slipped up bum holes, or hidden in body board bags.

stirk

Burner
*snip*

Nice one Norco. I had no idea so many women are killed by domestic violence/murder. That's an appalling number of deaths and at the hands of people you know.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Price of being a woman in Australia.

Price of being a drug dealer in Indonesia.

Domestic violence is such a huge issue...as NM said, the silence is deafening.