Yeti SB-66

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChopSticks

Banned
Pikes

Pikes finally arrived !!!

Ordered from Bike24 on Thursday 17th (evening), item was post off on Monday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] (morning), with tracking stating it left Germany the following day (Tues evening). Arrived into the country on Friday the 1[SUP]st[/SUP], and delivered today (4/8)So from order to arrival its been 19 straight days.
Quicker than expected… considering the horror stories I read about items coming from Germany taking 4+ weeks!
These forks pretty much worked out to be a free upgrade over the old 34’s after I sold them and the old shock pump. :bounce:

The Fox 34’s weighed 2kg flat on the fish scales, while the Pikes have come in at 1.88 kg.
(Weight of both forks include the same CaneCreek crown race and star nut, the axle and 210mm of steerer.)

The rubber seal on the old CaneCreek race was cracked/cut all the way around, and decide now was a good time for a new one… $17 delivered within 6 days from the US ! *woot*

Pinched some 40mm PVC piping and couplers from work, and a trip to Bunnings for an end cap. Stuck it all together and rounded off the square edge of the coupler to protect the rubber seal of the race (prob why the original one was damaged/cut?). Hopefully this can double up as a seal press too?

Greased the base of the steerer and crown race, then tapped it into place with my DIY tool.
Cut the steerer to length with a new pipe cutter I picked up from the dollar shop and filed off the square edges.
I then carefully tapped the starnut in place with the help of an old stem that I used as a guide.

Voila 12.84kgs !!! and time to bed it in !!!!!

........another upgrade to come shortly… which should drop weight even further and make the bike look abit…..darker :spy:

Luco

Likes Dirt
Looks good chops. And good on ya for the DIY! The weight saving is a just a bonus with these forks. Having installed one on my reign I haven't looked back; weight was a non issue for me, sold entirely on performance.
Let me know if you find any tips and tricks when setting it up. I'm still toying around with mine, but overall very happy.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Was almost tempted a couple weeks ago for some 27.5 Pikes from Jensons....would have seen them landed for $650Aus....

Resisted though..... reminded myself how much I dislike RS forks after my Totem/Boxxer experience several years ago.....

RS are made by Suntour apparently.....

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
Nice upgrades of late Chops, the SB looks great with the all black Pike.

Interested to hear more about this new darker 'carbon?' upgrade. Fingers crossed!

ChopSticks

Banned
Looks good chops. And good on ya for the DIY! The weight saving is a just a bonus with these forks. Having installed one on my reign I haven't looked back; weight was a non issue for me, sold entirely on performance.
Let me know if you find any tips and tricks when setting it up. I'm still toying around with mine, but overall very happy.
spent a few hours reading the massive thread on pikes over at MTBR and the suspension guide from RS. I now have a MUCH better understanding of suspension, and what it 'should' feel like, and what to look out for re: what adjustments do what.
will play around with the forks ASAP (maybe a night ride tonight)

doubt I need any of those bottomless tokens given the way I ride... but its always there for there little bit more adjustment!

Was almost tempted a couple weeks ago for some 27.5 Pikes from Jensons....would have seen them landed for $650Aus....
must resist !!!! not as good a deal but..... buy them! :boink:
http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-pike-rc-forks-2014-70895.html

moorey

call me Mia
Been watching prices for a month and never saw jenson below about $1k on the pikes. What did I miss?

I usually take your bike advice as gospel, but I say you need to revisit RS forks, old bean :tsk:

ChopSticks

Banned
........another upgrade to come shortly… which should drop weight even further and make the bike look abit…..darker :spy:
Interested to hear more about this new darker 'carbon?' upgrade. Fingers crossed!

BIG thanks to Al/Pushie/Nat for their help… always a pleasure to purchase from, and service is honestly second to none !!
I toyed with the idea of getting a 150mm (wanted that little bit extra up top and also wanted it to further away when dropped). But couldn't justify the price difference.

This is the new 2015 KS Lev Ti, which claims to shed over 50g over the previous model, all thanks to a carbon lower plate, Ti bolts, and a super sleek braided Teflon?/nylon? cable + lightweight outter, along with a light weight remote…… Did I mention its got a black stanchion? :D

Nat understood my weight weenie needs and kindly offered (Talk About Service!!!) the stealth black junction box cover (plastic) vs the stock red one (alloy)
466 vs 484g (old one)... I assume the remaining 30~g comes from the light weight cables/remote?

Buttery smooth, and ready to get down and dirty !

Weight 12.81kgs

Last edited:

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Chops you never really clarify is that with pedals or without?

Black stanchion shock and black carbon frame next?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Oh black stanchion on the LEV!
Pity I couldn't have seen it built up on the w/e

Jeebus those pikes are tempting
Is under $700 the final price at Merlin

ChopSticks

Banned
would you really go RC for a pretty minor saving?
If/For $50 difference... I definitely would've have opted for the RC model instead...
I rarely reach down to flick the forks... and if the climb is bad enough that it justifies adjusting the fork, then I'd just lock out the fork completely.
Therefore the 'pedal' mode is pretty much useless to me.

Chops you never really clarify is that with pedals or without?

Black stanchion shock and black carbon frame next?
all quoted weights have included pedals (XTR Trails)

There really isn’t much left on this bike to change or ‘upgrade’ to anymore.
Apart from frame or shock, but that wont be happening anytime soon.

If anything.... It would be the XTR cranks.
Been drooling over those RF Next SL cranks ever since they came out.
Which should drop around 120g over the XTR’s, but that price tag is a killer!....... (maybe one day!?)

and inspired by Gripper… I’m also keen to get the Extralite Black Lock, which replaces the RS Maxle. Claimed weight is 25g (pretty close as Gripper’s weighed 26g)… and should drop a further 65g~ over the maxle. It ain’t cheap… but given a replacement maxle costs around half that… its not too bad.

The very last weight weenie mod I can think of are gear cables….
Either some Jagwire/Alligator I-Links or some Nokon cables in silver….. get them anodized in purple (assuming they are Al and I can) along with the Hope hub adaptors, the Syntace integrated stem cap, Ti seat clamp bolt, mech hangers, MisMatch adaptors? And maybe the shifter paddles?
Maybe only then will I consider it ‘done’… and everyone can breathe a sigh of relief, never to see this bike again :behindsofa:

But until then….. stay posted ;)

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
Chops, I honestly thought with the described drop in weight and 'darker' you were going to spring a black SB66c upon us...

On another note, you're attention to detail is outrageous. :)

ChopSticks

Banned
Oh black stanchion on the LEV!
Pity I couldn't have seen it built up on the w/e

Jeebus those pikes are tempting
Is under $700 the final price at Merlin
We must catch up for a ride up my way!!!
Ditch those Rev's and get some pikes! $677~ to your door is really hard to beat Andy !!

Chops, I honestly thought with the described drop in weight and 'darker' you were going to spring a black SB66c upon us...

On another note, you're attention to detail is outrageous. :)
hahahaha I wish Grant! I wish it was!
how did the house move go?

That's a great weight for an alloy framed long travel AM/trail bike. Well done.
Thanks dude! that was the aim !
Get this burly frame/bike as light as I can without sacrificing performance/durability. Picked my parts carefully and it seems to have come out alright! Super happy !

teK--

Eats Squid
Looks great with Pikes and new dropper. 12.8kg is insanely light for an SB66A.

What is the diff between this one and last dropper? Does that one come with IR cable option?

How are the wheels holding up have you done some big hucks yet I am still pondering about getting some...

ChopSticks

Banned
Looks great with Pikes and new dropper. 12.8kg is insanely light for an SB66A.

What is the diff between this one and last dropper? Does that one come with IR cable option?

How are the wheels holding up have you done some big hucks yet I am still pondering about getting some...
Thanks Jimmy, I'm really happy with the final weight after all the additions!

Yes, the black stanchions come in both regular 'Lev' and 'Lev Integra' (internal routing) models.
I also believe Pushie has some upgrade kits available to existing Lev owners who want to swap to black stanchions..... (not available yet on integra models). Best you confirm with Pushie re: stock levs (low! so best you get on it!!!)

as for difference between this and the last one....
post for post, the new one is 18grams lighter.
KS Ti bolts were 12g lighter than the stock steel (12g vs the 24g).... KS also put ribs on the nuts to stop it from turning as you tighten the bolt (really nice touch, and appreciate the difference compared to the old one)

strangley though... the carbon lower plate weighs the same as the old alloy one (15g). Top plate remains the same.
I havent yet installed the red recourse cable, as the existing inner cable works fine and the claw still accommodates regular wire cables.
...but should save a few more grams once its time to change them and the outters.

Dont recall the old KS needing to be 'broken in' but it def doesnt feel as good as the old one? :suspicious:
Cant really put my finger on it.... not sure if its the black finish, the freezing cold weather, or the new seals.

Re: Wheels
no hucks... yet/ever. But they have been awesome!
reduced weight is definitely noticeable when accelerating out of corners... the increased in PoE no doubt helps too.
Only thing I regret is opting for the UD matte finish, as the rims dont scratch well.... I reckon the 3k would help hid the scratches in the clear-coat better.
One issue (if you call it that) is the rims are so bloody wide that the 2.25 RaRa i bought off you is actually slightly narrow once seated on this rim.
The sidewalls are actually wider than the side knobs, so as soon as I lean it over into a corner, and go past the side knobs.......I will/have washed out lol.
Other than that... the wheels have been the best money spent on this bike yet! .... just regret not getting them sooner!

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Re: dropper posts.....

Ever considered the KS XC dropper, believe it's 80mm worth?

I'm finding I don't drop my Reverb lower than this as I use my mid thighs to control the bike.

Can't find the recent advert for it in one of the latest Aussie mags....

Would save some weight too..

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks Jimmy, I'm really happy with the final weight after all the additions!

Yes, the black stanchions come in both regular 'Lev' and 'Lev Integra' (internal routing) models.
I also believe Pushie has some upgrade kits available to existing Lev owners who want to swap to black stanchions..... (not available yet on integra models). Best you confirm with Pushie re: stock levs (low! so best you get on it!!!)

as for difference between this and the last one....
post for post, the new one is 18grams lighter.
KS Ti bolts were 12g lighter than the stock steel (12g vs the 24g).... KS also put ribs on the nuts to stop it from turning as you tighten the bolt (really nice touch, and appreciate the difference compared to the old one)

strangley though... the carbon lower plate weighs the same as the old alloy one (15g). Top plate remains the same.
I havent yet installed the red recourse cable, as the existing inner cable works fine and the claw still accommodates regular wire cables.
...but should save a few more grams once its time to change them and the outters.

Dont recall the old KS needing to be 'broken in' but it def doesnt feel as good as the old one? :suspicious:
Cant really put my finger on it.... not sure if its the black finish, the freezing cold weather, or the new seals.

So not much change between new and old then except for a few grams and the black stanchion! Let us know how it feels after a few rides. I am happy with the Giant Contact Switch except for the dropper will extend if you pull up on the saddle. This means if you sit right back and then move forward and your shorts catch on the saddle it will cause the height to rise. Very annoying and a bit dangerous.

Re: Wheels
no hucks... yet/ever. But they have been awesome!
reduced weight is definitely noticeable when accelerating out of corners... the increased in PoE no doubt helps too.
Only thing I regret is opting for the UD matte finish, as the rims dont scratch well.... I reckon the 3k would help hid the scratches in the clear-coat better.
One issue (if you call it that) is the rims are so bloody wide that the 2.25 RaRa i bought off you is actually slightly narrow once seated on this rim.
The sidewalls are actually wider than the side knobs, so as soon as I lean it over into a corner, and go past the side knobs.......I will/have washed out lol.
Other than that... the wheels have been the best money spent on this bike yet! .... just regret not getting them sooner!
Yeah not sure if I will go as wide as yours due to risk of rock strikes etc. 25 to 27 mm will be good I just want the extra stiffness and less tyre roll. I can hear the tyres rub on the frame sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.