The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Personally I applaud Tony Abbott's determination in refusing to form a coalition government should a hung parliament arise.

Presumably this also extends to any power-sharing deals with The Nationals.

John U

MTB Precision
So lab and liberal won't do deals to form government in this situation. Could the 3rd largest group of members form a government then? A coalition of independents? Bob Katters party? The greens?

It's a fuckin cop out from both the major parties to say they won't form a minority govt. Sure it's hard but it doesn't mean you rule it out. From Abbotts early call, Kev would've had a free run to form a minority govt which may have been to the detriment of all Australians. Kev following suit is just as stupid.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone explain how a minority govt works without an agreement to support supply without striking deals with minors and independents, please?
I can't explain how it works, but it looks like this for a while...
440230-julia-gillard-announces-push-for-carbon-price.jpg

Then most of these people are...gonski!!!

floody

Wheel size expert
I'd rather minority government which does some justice to the population's democratic wishes than a majority formed by pandering to swinging voters in a handful of electorates with pork barrelling and jingo.

John U

MTB Precision
I'd rather minority government which does some justice to the population's democratic wishes than a majority formed by pandering to swinging voters in a handful of electorates with pork barrelling and jingo.
+ 1.

100%

Maybe I'm a dreamer but I think the politicians should mostly be doing what the people of Australia want them to.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
+ 1.

100%

Maybe I'm a dreamer but I think the politicians should mostly be doing what the people of Australia want them to.
Instead they do whatever the smaller parties want rather than what we want. .. You can thank the greens for a bunch of labour' s crap

Ivan

Eats Squid
.. You can thank the greens for a bunch of labour' s crap

Like? You're a bit light on argument there...

The Greens are responsible for a fairly large screwup in opposing the CPRS, but I can't think of any other legislation or spending where they have dictated the terms.

I do have a shit memory though, so happy to be enlightened. :noidea:

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Lab and liberal have lost the plot in a number of areas. Where the results seem to be worst is where they are following some vested interest, or playing up to ill informed with shit like their asylum seeker policies.

Governments should pass policies based on there merit. That is what I was hoping for in a minority govt. what we need is all politicians arguing the case, for and against, for each policy, based on the policies merit. Not dictated by party lines. I think that would deliver some good outcomes.

floody

Wheel size expert
Instead they do whatever the smaller parties want rather than what we want. .. You can thank the greens for a bunch of labour' s crap
What detrimental 'Labor Crap' have the Greens dictated? By no means is the influence of minor independents and Greens less democratic than crafting entire policies to exploit a sub 3% swing in a couple of electorates.

scblack

Leucocholic
What detrimental 'Labor Crap' have the Greens dictated? By no means is the influence of minor independents and Greens less democratic than crafting entire policies to exploit a sub 3% swing in a couple of electorates.
You're completely correct, the crap from Labor was NOT dictated by the Greens. Labor managed all the incompetence themselves.

Well pointed out.:cheer2:

al_

Likes Dirt
Did Hockey seriously just attempt to justify their lack of costings on the grounds that people would be bored to death by them...?

This week has been absolutely astonishing. We are going to end up with a Prime Minister that can't actually be trusted to speak.

We would be lucky to have the balance of power with people like Wilkie, Oakshot, Bandt etc. Even Katter seems amused by Abbott's incompetence!

Matt H

Eats Squid
The upside to what looks like an inevitable coalition victory is the amusement hockeynomics is going to bring me. Fucking archaic supply siders...

scblack

Leucocholic
The upside to what looks like an inevitable coalition victory is the amusement hockeynomics is going to bring me. Fucking archaic supply siders...
It'll make a nice change from the gibberish from Wayne Swan "World's Greatest Treasurer".

I believe it was 166 times he said there would be a surplus in 2012/2013.

Man, was he on the ball!

Matt H

Eats Squid
Did I say he was any better? Chasing a surplus at the moment is pure populism and objectively bad economics.

scblack

Leucocholic
Did I say he was any better? Chasing a surplus at the moment is pure populism and objectively bad economics.
So why were you not saying that during the years Swan was parroting it?

The only good thing to come from the years of Swan is the "Charter of Budget Honesty". Of course it only comes from negating his dishonest budgets, but its there now.:cheer2:

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
It'll make a nice change from the gibberish from Wayne Swan "World's Greatest Treasurer".

Man, was he on the ball!
I loved it when he was described as the Steve Bradbury of treasurers, comedic gold.

Capone

Likes Dirt

Man, was he on the ball!
You can trust Fat Joe but i sure wont be, he is a complete moron

floody

Wheel size expert

Man, was he on the ball!

Surely its going to be detrimental to economists when there is no government spending to speculate on?

Matt H

Eats Squid
So why were you not saying that during the years Swan was parroting it?
I was. In fact I'm pretty sure I criticised it on here when the surplus claim was announced. As an economist-in-training I try to be as pragmatic as possible. I still suffer from partisan blinkers here and there tho...