Dirt jump spots in the Melbourne area

dienamics

Likes Dirt
Hey hey,

Just trying to get an idea of how many DJ spots there are around Melbourne, looking to get a DJ bike (if any one is selling one let me know) and do some dirt jumping and maybe pump track riding over winter to train. So far I have found a spot at the Kensington Skate park which looks a bit average, Windsor siding pump track/DJ's and some dirt jumps out in Altona medows.

Will no doubt hit up some BMX tracks too, but ideally some proper jumps would be good.

Cheers

lawrancesimpson

Likes Bikes
Kensington Dirt Jumps

Hey, I've also been looking for some dirt jumps around Melbourne. The only thing I've really found is the Kensington Park. I live a 5min pedal away from the Kensington Park but you're right it's a bit shit. I have been sessioning it a bit on my DH bike, but I'm also keen to get a DJ bike. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime for a sesh or go explore some other jumps. My number is 0449062813

Lawrance

dienamics

Likes Dirt
Hey, I've also been looking for some dirt jumps around Melbourne. The only thing I've really found is the Kensington Park. I live a 5min pedal away from the Kensington Park but you're right it's a bit shit. I have been sessioning it a bit on my DH bike, but I'm also keen to get a DJ bike. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime for a sesh or go explore some other jumps. My number is 0449062813

Lawrance
Hey man,

Yeah I used to live in Kensington and would quite often be down there on my full sus, I remember meeting one guy down there that was talking about getting some funding to re-build it with 3 DJ lines and a pump track...my guess is that never got off the ground.

I really need a little bmx or DJ bike before I do anything as there is no way my DH rig will be any good, if I get something sorted though I'll let you know.

-Scott

lawrancesimpson

Likes Bikes
Was down at the Kensington Park yesterday and bumped into a local guy riding the skatepark. He told me the council is completely remaking the dirt jumps as well as a pump track in the next couple of months.

Will post here if I see any progress.

dienamics

Likes Dirt
Was down at the Kensington Park yesterday and bumped into a local guy riding the skatepark. He told me the council is completely remaking the dirt jumps as well as a pump track in the next couple of months.

Thats awesome! Good to know cheers

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Dirt Jumps around Melb..

Hey guys,

Few of place I know of:

1. Seaford / Fankston - have a couple of jumps tracks, as well as a pump track,
2. Windsor - I hate it, lines are crap, poor (if any) maint.
3. Clayton BMX track - not bad, but definately suits BMX's,
4. Knox BMX track - state level track, again suits BMX's better as its a bit tight.
5. And Warrigul (Baw Baw Shire) have just built a new BMX track also, quite good qual.

My 2c.

dienamics

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Few of place I know of:

1. Seaford / Fankston - have a couple of jumps tracks, as well as a pump track,
2. Windsor - I hate it, lines are crap, poor (if any) maint.
3. Clayton BMX track - not bad, but definately suits BMX's,
4. Knox BMX track - state level track, again suits BMX's better as its a bit tight.
5. And Warrigul (Baw Baw Shire) have just built a new BMX track also, quite good qual.

My 2c.
Thanks mate, will try check them out

JT252

Likes Dirt
I might be able to part with my black market for the right price. What price range were you guys looking at?

t_byrnz

Likes Dirt
- croydon hills next to the primary school
- lillydale, next to the lake (ask any locals and they will know)
- heathmont bout 5 minute ride from station, follow railway track until u hit a bunch of tennis/netball courts and its next to them
- windsor
- next to klim swim in sandy/chelt

i know of couple of other but forgot where they were .

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
- croydon hills next to the primary school
- lillydale, next to the lake (ask any locals and they will know)
- heathmont bout 5 minute ride from station, follow railway track until u hit a bunch of tennis/netball courts and its next to them
- windsor
- next to klim swim in sandy/chelt

i know of couple of other but forgot where they were .
Checked out the jumps in Cheltenham (next to Klim Swim) today. About 6 small-to-medium sized tabletops with very mellow to non-existent lips. Probably not worth checking out unless you're in the area for some other reason. Just a heads up.

t_byrnz

Likes Dirt
Checked out the jumps in Cheltenham (next to Klim Swim) today. About 6 small-to-medium sized tabletops with very mellow to non-existent lips. Probably not worth checking out unless you're in the area for some other reason. Just a heads up.
yeah i know not the best jumps ay ... heathmont and croydon hills are good ones , dont know what condition they are in because i havnt been there in ages :)

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
yeah i know not the best jumps ay ... heathmont and croydon hills are good ones , dont know what condition they are in because i havnt been there in ages :)
Yeah, Heathmont are not very good either to be honest. They have recently been 'rebuilt' and currently there are only 3 pretty average doubles, an awkward beginner line and an uninspired pump track. Looks like it might have been a council job. Shame, cos it used to be pretty decent. Haven't been to Croydon in some time, but last time I was there they were pretty good.

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt

Ahh the council said this way back in 2010, don't get your hopes up.

On a more positive note,

Get your arses on down there sometime within the coming weeks for a ride and become involved in the negotiations that will hopefully start again soon!

Jeff_s

Squid
Altona jumps

Hi,
I ride the Altona jumps occasionally. There are two areas with jumps.

Queen Street Reserve on Queen St. I haven't been there in a while, but last time I was there I recall it was after some serious rain and I was impressed with how they'd already been tidied up to perfect condition. They have a group of beginner, intermediate and advanced jumps, so you can work your skills up. It's council maintained.

The next lot are about 1km south of the Queen Street ones into the 40acres it backs onto. You'll have to ride with your eyes peeled to find them. They've got piles of serious doubles. I think it's just maintained by riders, but they've done some tidy work and there were some great jumps there.

As for JJ Holland Park in Kensington, I skate there, and I hear they've had approval for the jumps to be made and funding for the dirt and building/maintenance, but that was better than a year ago I herd that and last time I skated, which was probably a month or two at most, there was nothing rebuilt. The ones that have been there are more a fun circuit, but not much use for DJing.

dienamics

Likes Dirt
Hi,
I ride the Altona jumps occasionally. There are two areas with jumps.

Queen Street Reserve on Queen St. I haven't been there in a while, but last time I was there I recall it was after some serious rain and I was impressed with how they'd already been tidied up to perfect condition. They have a group of beginner, intermediate and advanced jumps, so you can work your skills up. It's council maintained.

The next lot are about 1km south of the Queen Street ones into the 40acres it backs onto. You'll have to ride with your eyes peeled to find them. They've got piles of serious doubles. I think it's just maintained by riders, but they've done some tidy work and there were some great jumps there.

As for JJ Holland Park in Kensington, I skate there, and I hear they've had approval for the jumps to be made and funding for the dirt and building/maintenance, but that was better than a year ago I herd that and last time I skated, which was probably a month or two at most, there was nothing rebuilt. The ones that have been there are more a fun circuit, but not much use for DJing.
Sick will have to sus out those jumps at Altona, I have ridden the council jumps and they are ok...I like the sound of those doubles in the trees though!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I live near Heathmont. And the jumps there used to be epic!
but now they have been demolished and really not much has happened to be rebuild them.
they were good. and they have good potential. but they need to get building!

jakc

Likes Bikes
(Altona) The next lot are about 1km south of the Queen Street ones into the 40acres it backs onto.
Id love to see some pics of these. Im very keen to get digging somewhere this winter, i have a lot of spade time under the belt.

I am also real keen to hear about these trails near the Ivanhoe Flats?
- I spend fair bit of time last Winter digging at the spot nearer the river, but kept gettting washed out.

Feel free to PM me any details if you dont want to post it publicly.