Whats the funniest thing you have found on a trail?

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
Adding to the animal theme, years ago came across a big arse wild pig behind the uni in cairns. Headed the other way pretty quickly. Lived up there for 18 years and never saw another one.
Also plenty of Roos at stromlo and chased a rabbit down a few corners there a week or two back (where the big wooden berms are). Stupid thing ran around a few corners before getting off the track.

timmyb

Squid
We're always bumping into wildlife in Daisy Hill, one of the standouts being a turtle on the road on the way out. That was different!

To trump that though, I got headbutted by an owl on trail 3 in Daisy Hill on Friday night. Needless to say I pooped myself a bit!

mtb1611

Seymour
A guy doing pushups by the side of the trail at Loftus many years back....odd.

Many years ago a few mates and I used to ride on the brigade cross country course at Holsworthy Armay Barracks (Sydney) due to one of them being in 2RAR. We'd regularly come across APC's and other military vehicles. One day I stopped to fix a flat and heard a rustling in the bushes. Looked to my left and there were a couple of guys fully camo-ed up, looked like they were doing some sort of sniper training. They didn't flinch and were totally focussed on, well, whatever they were focussed on in the distance. We were regularly buzzed by choppers out there, very low, crewmen leaning out and waving to us, was great. Then he left the Army and it was game over :(

In terms of funny "performances" on the trail, one morning a mate and I were riding at Lucas Heights. I crested a climb to see a massive red-belly sunning itself across the trail. I stopped for a look and pointed it out to my mate when he caught up. So intense is his hatred of snakes that he ran back down the hill CARRYING HIS BIKE!!!!!!!!!

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was in Europe a few years ago dying up a steepish long road climb when i got passed by a guy on skis on rollers!

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Back when I was just starting out riding, I was going up the road of Mt Cootha with my brother. Got right below the summit and thought we'd stop for a quick breather.

While we're sitting there, I notice the car parked on the shoulder across the road has a guy just sitting in the drivers seat, staring out into space doing nothing. I thought, that's a little odd, what's he waiting for, the I see a bit of a head pop up and disspear from below the window sill, then a bit later again. About this point we think it's time to get a move on, just as we're leaving, a woman sits up in the passenger seat from 'resting her head' in his lap.

I couldn't help but think given it was a weekend, and that's a fairly well driven road that they could have picked somewhere better?

Another one I saw when I wasn't riding. We were walking down one of the fire trails from the summit at Mt Cootha (can't for the life of me remember why) when 2 riders came by about 30-40m apart. The guy at the back took a leap over a berm and stacked it pretty bad, grinding his head into the ground. We ran over when he didn't move for a few seconds and he came to, not really sure where he was or what day it was. We called the ambulance, administered some first aid to make sure he was OK and stayed with him.

A few minutes later his mate must have figured he wasn't behind him anymore and found his way back. Getting a gauge for how much he remembered his mate asked him if he remembered what they saw at the bottom of the mountain, which he didn't. He was rather dissapointed at this as apparently there'd been a bikini model photo shoot they'd come across and now he had no-one to back his story up anymore.

Would've been nice to stumble across that one though.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
I wasn't riding, but...

At the World Solo Champs at Stromlo, it was stoopid o'clock in the morning and I was out checking the ABC climbs when there on the side of the fire trail I spotted a bike. Next to said bike was it's rider. Not neatly tucked up and comfortable while asleep but sprawled out, arms and legs asunder like someone who had landed there. My heart skipped a beat, my hand went for the radio as I shook old mate's foot.

As he (thankfully) woke I asked him if he was alright? He looked at me dazed and confused, muttered something about needing a rest and was back to sleep before my brain could even process the reply. As I walked away I was laughing so hard I didn't even get his rider number...

Solo riders; you're a bunch of absolute nutters... :fat:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
IMG041.jpg

yesterday on a bushwalk i found this old diamondback rusting away. no chain, giro and brakes all rusted up. took her for a small chainless brakeless flat tyred run and near stacked it.
left her where she lay.

Kiloch

Squid
at daisy hill while riding last weekend, we got to the bottom of a gully and on the way up a chrome bumper bar caught my eye, there was a rusting old ford coupe or sedan in the bush just to the right of me, not really unexpected, but i was at the back of the pack so i couldnt stop to check it out

cluster

Likes Dirt
Not my story but a mate's (not on here) - he was out for a singletrack night ride one time, cruising up a hill with his ay-ups on...
came around a blind corner to find a possum smack bang in the middle of the track. poor thing stood dazed on the track "deer-in-the-headlights" style for about a second then jumped off to land in a tree... but still dazed, he miscalculated and went headfirst into it. :02.47-tranquillity:

debeer

Likes Dirt
Whilst riding out of Lake Parramatta at about 6pm in summer, so plenty of light. A guy beating off over his girlfriend in the passenger seat of his car. She looked bored and he looked tired.

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
Whilst riding out of Lake Parramatta at about 6pm in summer, so plenty of light. A guy beating off over his girlfriend in the passenger seat of his car. She looked bored and he looked tired.
hahaha who would sit there while the boyfriend had a bat? My mrs would break my nose

diggerz

Likes Dirt
Breathing new life into this thread!

A mate and his girlfriend, popping up from some bushes on the side of a trail looking a little flushed and red-faced. Never tried so hard not to laugh in my life. That's about it really, except for some old car parts and various adult magazines.

Knut

Troll hunter
WtF

Saw a 65 year old man riding XC. With cycling cap on backwards under his helmet, wearing a sleeveless skinsuit. The Lycra was dark green and aqua. Someone's a little desperate for attention I guess?

Last edited:

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
funny rides

Funniest thing I have seen on a ride was a nude kid belting off against a tree , and standing next to him was his blue heeler on a lead. Was an interesting and weird ride home
and I don't want to see that again.

cheers

Ades