That time of year... the snakes are out!!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have 2 strategies when I encounter snakes on the trail or when trail buiding.

Plan A - Stand very still, so as to not antagonise or scare the snake into reacting, and allow it to go on it's merry way.
Plan B - Scream like a schoolgirl and run away with my hands in the air.

The other night me and a mate were on foot checking out a new trail, when we stumbled onto a Brown or Taipan. It was big (about 1.5-2m) and was laying about 3m from us. We quickly employed Plan A. The snake looked at us for a few seconds, then suddenly reared up and struck out at us.

We quickly abandoned Plan A and executed a very enthusiastic example of Plan B. The snake must have been impressed, because he chased us for about 10m and threw in a couple more strikes for good measure.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Plan A - Stand very still, so as to not antagonise or scare the snake into reacting, and allow it to go on it's merry way.

The other night me and a mate were on foot checking out a new trail, when we stumbled onto a Brown or Taipan. It was big (about 1.5-2m) and was laying about 3m from us. We quickly employed Plan A. The snake looked at us for a few seconds, then suddenly reared up and struck out at us.

We quickly abandoned Plan A and executed a very enthusiastic example of Plan B. The snake must have been impressed, because he chased us for about 10m and threw in a couple more strikes for good measure.
Sounds like a Taipan.

I am so glad I live further south where we don't have that particular bad tempered snake and where Plan A and Plan B usually works fine :)

The comments from snake people I have met always say Taipans are bad news just because they are so aggressive.

Great story!!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Here is one for you- I filmed this last week up at Melrose- didn't really see what happened, or worry too much about it until I slowed down the film, and realised how lucky Sonia was!

[video=youtube;Y3sdjL0cWWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3sdjL0cWWQ[/video]
That was nuts. Filthy brown(?) snake. My his temper was bad. Must have been hungry and horny

Hopefully he gets his come-upance in the from of a Red-belly, that eats him and his children....or just takes a holiday to Nowra!

Edit- lucky your girl was on the up-stroke.

would a quick nip whilst riding past give enough time to envenomate??

Last edited:

Morgan123

Likes Dirt

Must be getting older, gave me quite the chuckle reading that. Glad you ok of course...

Shit man, you've got to love living up north, don't you? We had a 2m brown snake of some form just chilling in the middle of our patio last night. Made the nights sleep all that much harder.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Here is one for you- I filmed this last week up at Melrose- didn't really see what happened, or worry too much about it until I slowed down the film, and realised how lucky Sonia was!

[video=youtube;Y3sdjL0cWWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3sdjL0cWWQ[/video]
WOW! So:
1. Sonya saw the snake in the corner of her eye and turned her head - what does she think about how close it got now she has the video?
2. My guess is Sonya will not be riding Melrose in summer for a while. (Have ridden it only in winter myself.... sorry OL won't be seeing you in summer...)
3. I reckon a direct strike on a bare leg would have seen the snake latch on for sufficient envenomation.....
4. What an angry beast - obviously planned it's strike and followed up with a chase.

jhb

Likes Bikes
WOAH!

I have always gone on the theory of "Snakes will only bite if you wake them up, scare them, or tread on/run over them"
This little bastard looks like he was waiting in the bushes to ambush anyone that went past!
So lucky. Glad we don't get these in Tas. Tigers are so much more dopey than that.

boofy

Likes Bikes
jesus, that was close. a bit scary for me as the snakes are coming out here in brisbane also. found one in my backyard dead the other day. only a small python, but where there are small ones, big ones are generally not far away. thankfully pythons are not dangerous, but still prefer to keep away from them. i am suprised i dont see more of them around gap creek reserve and jinker track (bunya) areas lately. i am sure they are seeing me but.

Across

Cannon Fodder

Hi mate, lucky girl, that could have ruined the day. By the way thats a fine set of brakes you got yourself :)

I have seen a few Red Bellies around the last few weeks, not frisky like your fellow. Last summer I was riding along minding my own business on a nice wide fire road and managed to ride right over a Red Belly. In the ensuing sprint I easily beat Cavendish over two hundred meters to get away from one angry snake ;)

Stay safe out there.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
4. What an angry beast - obviously planned it's strike and followed up with a chase.
doubt it. It takes off to the right pretty fast afterwards.
It looks like it gets caught up in the wheel a bit, thus making it look like it gives a bit of chase. If you look close at the 1:32 it looks like it gets a scare and pulls back as her foot comes up and then strikes at the tyre.

I reckon there are 2 explanations.

1. Snake sees big thing coming at it. Rears up in threat pose. Big thing keeps coming. Brown snakes seem to be of the opinion that sometimes the best form of defense is attack so as the big ting keeps coming it strikes out.

2. Snake is in feeding mode. They are pretty simple creatures with little brains. It's hunting. Sets itself up along side an obvious trail. There has probably been prey items, rabbits or mice, using the trail. They might have even be flushed along it by the riders. Snake goes into feeding mode. They haven't got the luxury of going to the shops if hunting is no good. Pretty much all of the snakes brain is tuned to catching dinner. It's coiled tight ready to strike. There are vibrations coming up the trail but what ever it is is moving quick. The snake strikes out and gets a shock at what it hits. Then takes off into the scrub.

would a quick nip whilst riding past give enough time to envenomate??
They don't need to nip you at all simply give you a bit of scratch with a venom soaked tooth. Strike and retreat with potent venom allows you to stay out of the way of claws and teeth while your prey dies.

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice explanation Flynny, but still makes one feel a little nervous. :)

I'm so used to our little copper headed friends up here just being so passive and layed back. In fact every snake I have ever seen over years of riding and walking have, even when rearing up, done it in a way that is defensive at worst just saying by body language "leave me alone". When you do all parties are happy!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
What do you feed your snakes up there Mark, them copperheads are pretty passive, alsio dont like getting off the trail also!!..only ever had one browny rear at me on the grose head run, it was very upset, seen it 2 days running in nearly identical spot, its mood didnt improve on the second day either!

single-track-mind

Likes Dirt
Big brown snake on Ya mumma

For the Sydney Nth beaches riders who ride "Ya mumma "
Watch out for the BIG brown that is living under the pile of rocks at the first roll in at the head of the trail.
This is the section the Rangers always use to destroy (but seem to have given up)
My mate Blomie was moving a rock when the brown we didn't notice was sunning it self got spooked by him and made a B line for his legs which were between it and its home.
Brown pants moment.