I will probably get punched in the face for this, but...

Shredden

Knows his goats
I have a pair of 2002 rockshox psylo XC forks on the front of my 2006 scott voltage YZ0.

Whilst riding rampfest the other day, they fucked up. Basically the rebound would be really fast on small compressions and REALLY REALLY slow on big ones. They also made a knocking noise when bounced up and down quickly.

So, I took off one topcap (non-u turn side) and drained out a bit of oil. Problem solved. This lasted for like 20mins, then they broke again, back to their old ways.

So, I took off the same topcap and drained all the oil. I then filled the forks with half a bottle of water. Yes, water. This made the rebound REALLY REALLY fast. But at least I could ride.

My question is: Will the forks last for the 2 months of heavy riding I anticipate before I have cash for floats/argyles/831? I really dont wanna spend any money on them, as I could buy another pair of better forks for like 80 haha...

Cheers...

hathill

Likes Dirt
I have a pair of 2002 rockshox psylo XC forks on the front of my 2006 scott voltage YZ0.

Whilst riding rampfest the other day, they fucked up. Basically the rebound would be really fast on small compressions and REALLY REALLY slow on big ones. They also made a knocking noise when bounced up and down quickly.

So, I took off one topcap (non-u turn side) and drained out a bit of oil. Problem solved. This lasted for like 20mins, then they broke again, back to their old ways.

So, I took off the same topcap and drained all the oil. I then filled the forks with half a bottle of water. Yes, water. This made the rebound REALLY REALLY fast. But at least I could ride.

My question is: Will the forks last for the 2 months of heavy riding I anticipate before I have cash for floats/argyles/831? I really dont wanna spend any money on them, as I could buy another pair of better forks for like 80 haha...

Cheers...
I didn't have any milk in the fridge so I used some gear oil on my Weet Bix. Will my stomach last until I can get to the hospital to have it pumped out?

Water? Really? What were you thinking?

hathill

Likes Dirt
I'd be more woried that something is wrong inside and the next time you launch, the lowers are going to fall off and , well, you know the rest.....

dunndog

Eats Squid
I had nothing else, I wanted to keep riding, and I anticipate throwing the forks out ASAP.

I normally take very good care of my stuff, but hey, a bit of ghetto never hurt anyone.
It did when they doused their weetbix with oil!
Strange story man, guess there's a first time for everything..

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't see what's all that wrong with water TBH. Apart from rust, wouldn't it be like running a really really thin oil anyway? Just be mindful that the internals are no longer being lubed properly and everything could wear out really fast. If your planning on keeping or chucking out the psylo's later then why not?

You could of done alot worse...

Shredden

Knows his goats
I don't see what's all that wrong with water TBH. Apart from rust, wouldn't it be like running a really really thin oil anyway? Just be mindful that the internals are no longer being lubed properly and everything could wear out really fast. If your planning on keeping or chucking out the psylo's later then why not?

Yes am aware, that was my logic. Thin oil = no more slow rebound?

hathill

Likes Dirt

Those dirty rotten fork manufacturers ripping us off by making us use actual "OIL" in our forks.
It's all a conspiracy man!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have some DJ4's you can have for $40 + post. IM me

EDIT also... the water could get real hot in the forks, watch for that

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those dirty rotten fork manufacturers ripping us off by making us use actual "OIL" in our forks.
It's all a conspiracy man!
Just going off the fact that there is such a thing as water hydraulics. Water can and has been used in hydraulic systems.

They could build a water based fork but the price would be so huge they wouldn't bother. Also, I guess you can imagine what happens when you ride your water fork in the snow....

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Odds are if they went to such lengths they would include and Anti-Freeze agent in the water, me thinks
What about in the desert on a rocky road? Overheats and boils, steam blows the seals to shit. :sneakiness:

Great idea for this thread: Whilst waiting for new forks, trial numerous household liquids and post up pros and cons of each. Shampoo? Olive oil? Petrol? win.

Why not use some engine oil?
If Shredden doesn't want to spend the $15 for fork oil, Engine oil is out of the question!

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Great idea for this thread: Whilst waiting for new forks, trial numerous household liquids and post up pros and cons of each. Shampoo? Olive oil? Petrol? win.
Will fill with washing detergent and water tonight, should greatly reduce stiction...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I reckon it's probably OK as a qualified and experienced mechanic told me recently that it was fine to put water into the clutch reservoir on a car instead of clutch fluid if you were in a bind...

Shredden

Knows his goats
Its not that it is too expensive. It is that it is too thick and slows down the rebound too much. I could try some 5wt maybe...