The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Would love to get in this o'nighter thing but think the inital outlay might be a bit high... I would certainly pony up for some Revelate Designs gear but just thinking how it could serve double purposes... like for commuting perhaps... mmmm....
I did an overnighter recently and did it with almost no expense. I DIY'd some bags and used the pitiful camping gear i already own.

DIY'ing the bags was good fun and they worked really well. If you have minimal gear, wait until spring since warm sleeping bags are the biggest outlay.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
I just used a summer weight micro sleeping bag, slept in my riding kit and used an emergency blanket. I had a wheelie bin liner 'just in case' but didn't need it. Had a blow up pillow but forgot to stash beer enroute.

http://pi11wizard.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/pie-eater-1-01-se-ride-report-part-1/

Sorry pi11wizard, just pimpin' for you again. His bags were ace.

Green Ginger Wine is a necessity, not a novelty.

Rear racks are useless if you need that space to put your arse on big downs, or you could stick to the fire roads with Nanna and the fun police

All you Sydney Siders need to just get on your bikes and ride north. Plenty of bush to get lost in.

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Excellent thread. I'm reminiscing.

Coming from a road touring background nearly 30 years ago when I was a lad, I haven't done much off-road of late. Numerous Polaris events got things fairly organised, but I do enjoy a little bit of comfort in my old age, so I don't bean count so much these days..

This is a bag I used (the Palm IV) on the last 2 Polaris' before the event's demise. It's incredible how small they pack down.
http://www.roman.com.au/website17.a...&parentid=1573&sideparent=1580&midparent=1683

A thermarest is a given - there're plenty of styles and weights to choose from these days. Pillow, I just wrap spare clothes into a vague pillow shape. I'm usually so shagged after a day lugging gear up hill down dale that I don't notice what's under my head.

Orikasa plate/bowl and cup, Sea to Summit plastic cutlery, MSR choofer if I'm with its owner, or a small Trangia by myself. Sierra Designs Electron 2 (now superseded), fly only with "footprint" to hook it onto. OK if there are no bugs expected. Roomy for 2 plus gear.

As I'm old school, I prefer a rack with small panniers - Wilderness Equipment canvas. Heavy, but bullet and waterproof. I've used the Old Man Mountain Sherpa rack on my dually to good effect. Strong, rattle-free, solid.
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RackGalleries/Pages/sherpaRear_gallery.htm

I know a couple of people who swear by food dehydrators. Make up incredible tasty meals, dehydrate and take on the trails in zip-lock bags. Add water and heat at destination. Far cheaper than the freeze dried bags from outdoor shops (although the bacon and eggs version for breakfast is surprisingly good).

Can't see myself joining you anytime soon, but my spirit's with you.

Have a good one.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
2 kg for -20° is light, just a bit too warm for any where on the Australian mainland, including snow camping.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
2 kg for -20° is light, just a bit too warm for any where on the Australian mainland, including snow camping.
Anyone got any thoughts on bivvy bags?

I am thinking one of these for the best compromise between weight, size and cost. I have seen them around the $200.00 mark.

What are others doing for Bivvy's?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Anyone got any thoughts on bivvy bags?

I am thinking one of these for the best compromise between weight, size and cost. I have seen them around the $200.00 mark.

What are others doing for Bivvy's?
Well I'm torn to be honest. I'm going to see if I can get my Sierra designs light year + a foot print down to a reasonable weight. I also have a BD megalight which is pushing 1kg with a pole + pegs. I've been looking around though. One of the guys on bikepacking.net reckoned next time he went out, he'd just take a silnylon tarp. 200grams or 400 grams for a larger one. I'm half wondering if a 200gram silnylon tarp + a E-Bivvy like the MSR would be a good allround compromise.

Not so much of an issue in the cooler months but trying to figure out somehting that's flexible enough to deal with the mozzies in summer.

Dave Blumenthal had a bug bivvy + tarp...

http://type2fun.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/tour-divide-gear-tarp-bug-bivy/

In the short term, I'm likely to just use my megalight. I may be able to get away without a pole and just use a random fallen branch, or take some vb cord and hope there's always be a tree or overhang somewhere.

Cheers
Spoonie

SSDave

Likes Dirt
Excel pack list

I have attached an excel spreedsheet that has a fair old list of gear plus the actual measured weights using the kitchen scales and yes I have carried all of this gear up into the snow for a couple of days, it was heavy, but I was comfortable. And there may have been a additional hip flask of 2.

Anyway, it may be of use to some one.

Attachments

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I have attached an excel spreedsheet that has a fair old list of gear plus the actual measured weights using the kitchen scales and yes I have carried all of this gear up into the snow for a couple of days, it was heavy, but I was comfortable. And there may have been a additional hip flask of 2.

Anyway, it may be of use to some one.
Good list Dave..... Scary how it adds up. Like your flask, there are some things that I do insist on.

- Tent because you can enjoy the versatility and comfort over a bivvy for little weight penalty. I've found something like the Vango Helium F10 okay. 900g, storm and bug proof but not the thing you throw over sharp stones.

- Sleeping bag - A Roman Palm is good but tight. The Kathmandu white goose is versatile along with a silk liner. For cold weather, the Moonraker e-proof is sensational and packs down well for it's warmth rating. I also just noticed it's on a stupid cheap special at the moment.

We use light weight technical gear and layer clothing. We also tour with sea kayaks and the cool thing here is that all the bike gear is applicable BUT because it's so compact, you end up filling the hull with "stuff" that you never use.

I can't think of anything more exciting than that moment when you're all loaded up and heading off for that multi day adventure. The better prepared you are, the more likely you will be smiling when you return. Badly prepared trips can end in tears. Indeed, having some selfish, whining pr!ck along can also ruin a trip so choose your gear and your buddies wisely. People can do funny things when they are tired.

SSDave

Likes Dirt
The better prepared you are, the more likely you will be smiling when you return. Badly prepared trips can end in tears. Indeed, having some selfish, whining pr!ck along can also ruin a trip so choose your gear and your buddies wisely. People can do funny things when they are tired.
I once chased the "Trip Leader", the one with the map and who had been there before, 22km past our required turn off, he was off the front having a great time with a few others I was bringing up the rear with the tailenders and all we could do was follow the tyre marks in the dirt! Still it was a great trip, didn't see everything we thought we would, but saw alot more then what was planned!!

Lots of lessons learnt on that one.

Also, light weight shelters are all well and good, but the weather doesn't always turn out as planned and extra kg of quality tent can really add to the comfort of a trip.

thomast

Likes Bikes
13 and I were looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tops_to_Myall_Heritage_Trail as an option for a weekend ride. I don't have any info as to how the trail would ride, I would be expecting to do some hike a biking but that is par for the course when exploring.
I did this ride about 12 years ago. Absolutely fantastic. I would look at a way around the Munro Hut to Log Dump route though as it is a very very steeep decline followed by a very very steeep climb out to mountaineer. I mean digging heals in going down and on tippy toes with bike thrust well forward on the climb (get 2 bike lengths ahead of ya mate and turn around, you will hear him but not see him kind of thing). I have maps and book of the ride so if you and 13 want to get together and chat, let me know. Cheers. Bob.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Also, light weight shelters are all well and good, but the weather doesn't always turn out as planned and extra kg of quality tent can really add to the comfort of a trip.
I was about to say the same thing re the minimalist bivvy's. I have a megalight which is in some ways overkill, but not sure how it'd go in a downpour. I know it handles light rain ok. I have a one man Sierra Designs tent which I can get down to being only a couple hundred grams more that has handled a downpour/storm fine. Whether or not I could huddle under a tarp in the rain is a whole 'nother question.

...and don't forget the mozzies :)

Part of me thinks if you're going to spend $50 on a minimilaist Bivvy that weighs 200grams, you might as well spend a bit more, buy a silnylon tarp which would probably be more versatile?...

*shrug*

Cheers
Spoonie

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I once chased the "Trip Leader", the one with the map and who had been there before, 22km past our required turn off,
That's funny... It's usually the other way around I find when people are way outside their comfort zone and tired - both physically and mentally when the demons of irrational thought and implusive actions surface.

The thing is that you don't have to take a big hit like that. A quality tent like that Vango is under a kg total weight, bug and weather proof - and can be pitched without the fly in the tropics. It's lighter than most bivvys. I also have a number of other more robust tents like a magnificent Sierra Designs Hercules but it's not something I'd strap to the bike without moaning about the weight and bulk compared to some of these modern technical super-light weight tents.

Another words of caution about tents. Never ever consider buying a single wall tent. You'll drown in condensation.