Who's done 100 miles? (road help)

fatass

Banned
My dad is riding in the 100 miles for diabetes ride thingo in january, and mum is freakin' out because she thinks he will have a heart attack. He's 44 or so by the way, if you've ever done 100 miles then posting up a training schedule, diet and whatever other tips would be great. Thanks.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
he has to build up slowly to that distance i have done the 100mile and it took me 3 months to build up to the distance. when i did it i ate every 30 minutes it took me 5 1/2 hours so i used about 8 gells and 2 bananas as well as 2 electrolyte drinks i thought i was ready to do it but i felt it for a week i was. also make sure he hydrates well before in order ensure he is hydrated and also make sure he carbo loads the day before.

Macr

Likes Dirt
I've ridden from Katherine to Darwin (200M or 320Km's) in a day on 2 consecutive years. I did this with a number of other riders (approximately 9). The biggest thing I found was to keep the carbs up whilst riding. I food bonked at Emerald Springs, which I think was about the 160Km mark. We had a scheduled stop and I had rice cream forced down my throat until I started feeling good. Don't get to that point, eat regularly during the ride.

As for training I can't really help you on that, except to say that you need to practice a bit of low cadence distance riding amongst your normal training rides.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
My dad is riding in the 100 miles for diabetes ride thingo in january, and mum is freakin' out because she thinks he will have a heart attack. He's 44 or so by the way, if you've ever done 100 miles then posting up a training schedule, diet and whatever other tips would be great. Thanks.
This one is easy....

Go here:

http://www.ultracycling.com/

read, and then ride your bike lots.

also look up a book by Ed Burke and Ed Pavelka "The complete book of Long Distance Cycling" (ISBN: 1579541992 ) which includes training schedules, diet tips etc... and some of the issues you will expect

I don't know the route, but generally I'd say 160km's on road is a doddle, especially if you're with a group that's plugging along at a reasonable pace that you're comforable with. And that's the sum of it, plod along at a reasonable pace that leaves you not puffing, eat early, eat often (no big feeds but continuous stream of stuff ) And most people of reasonable fitness can ride 160km's on road.

For training, As a *very* rough basis plot over 12 weeks whatever the longest distance your comfortable with now, and increase that bit by bit up to 75% of the distance two weeks before, cut 50% the week before then go from there. that should be your long ride in the week, with whatever smaller rides you can get in through the rest of the week.

You're less likely to have a heart attack over long distance as long as you keep your food and water up 'cause you're not pushing that hard. If you are, you're probably not going to last the distance. (but I'm not a doctor so meh ;)

I've broken the 100miles about 5 or 6 times on dirt this year and a couple of times on the road just by plodding along, and keeping the food and hydration flowing... and hopefully again once more this weekend ;) the times I've struggled are when I've either just had a bad day or have gone hard early in the ride or forgotten to eat enough.

HTH

Cheers
Gonz

Last edited:

bazza

look at me
as everyone has said EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT and get used to eating lots on rides! find the foods that he likes on the bike. try different energy gells/bananas/other types of fruits or nuts. even for hour long rides try getting him into the habit of eating while riding. once your in it your right. 160km is pretty easy to clean for most people of reasonable fittness as mentioned earlier, just as long as your body is burning food and not itself. after about an hour and a half thats it, your body is out of energy. so eating and replacing what is needed will be number 1 priority along side riding for longer and longer times at a decent intensity (HRM if hes really keen!)

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I did the around the bay in a day and ended up doing abouy 240k door to door. I didnt eat enough and hit the wall about 120ks into it. My only advice apart from the advice above is to take a bag of jelly candy (something like snakes is good) which is high in sugar. This and copious amounts of powerade/gatorade is what got me over the line in the end. 10 minutes after eating the snakes I was back feeling better than I had since baout the 50km mark.

bazza

look at me
I did the around the bay in a day and ended up doing abouy 240k door to door. I didnt eat enough and hit the wall about 120ks into it. My only advice apart from the advice above is to take a bag of jelly candy (something like snakes is good) which is high in sugar. This and copious amounts of powerade/gatorade is what got me over the line in the end. 10 minutes after eating the snakes I was back feeling better than I had since baout the 50km mark.
sugar will generally not give you the carbs you need, the energy is great but for a steady long ride take something with a bit more to it.

one trick a lot of people use is jam sandwhiches. cut the crusts off and squash them over night. chop them into fingers and put them in a sealed bag. eat away.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My favourite food to eat is peanut butter and nuttella sandwiches, crusts cut off and cut lengthways then wrapped in glad wrap.

tofer

Likes Bikes
You should break you're training up into 3rd's. first third being base, 2nd third being speed, and the last third being the actual ride.
Start off with you're base km's.

try to get in around 200 - 300km's a week.(Slow rides)

Gradually build up the number of km's from 30km a day to 100km, and one 160km day (sunday's easiest).
Don't go out and do 160km's in the first few weeks every day, just once a week.

The second third, should be dropping off the km's, but raising the intensity. so say 300km's a week at a moderate heart rate eg. 135/140 beats per minute.
Gradually build up the intensity until it is the intensity of that of the ride he is going on.

The third stage is doing the ride. Number 1 rule, is pacing yourself. Keep at a pace that you know you can finish the ride in. Don't kill yourself in the first 2 hours, because you'll be kicking yourself about it later. (a huge waste of energy you could use to keep yourself going, rather than dieing halfway)

Personally i enjoy GU Energy Gel's, available at all good sports stores (amart, rebel.. those sort of places)
Another good snack is a banana, milo bars, nutri grain bars, and uncle toby's yoghurt tops bars..

basically any bar that you can easily swallow. Get you're father to try different bars and different foods out while he's training. that way he knows the foods that he cant eat while riding, and the one's that go down well.

Finally.. HAVE FUN!.. Enjoy it.

rockydog

Likes Dirt
I haven't got anything technical to add, but I recomend you tell your mum to chill....
There are plenty of scary fast vets around, and he's got a good 3 months to get comfortable on the saddle.
100mile on road by January...he will PSS it in!

By the way, do fat arses run in the family?... that could be a factor:D

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
If he's 44 and not been doing much exercise it is probably a good idea for him to get a check-up and clearance from his doc.
Then as others said build up to it. He doesn't need to have done 100 miles before hand (in fact if he's doing it as a challenge he's probably better off not), but I always find knowing I can do half the distance a big psychological help.
Learning to ride in a bunch is a good idea too as he'll be able to save a lot of energy if he can safely draft other people
On the day hydration is going to be critical, sure the fast guys will do it in sub 4 hours, me Mr Average around 6 which implies there will be others out there for 8 even 10 hours. Also don't forget the sunscreen!

beatlloydy

Likes Bikes
From a 44 YO...he is still a spring chicken. 100km should be ok providing he works up to it. Regular weekly rides of 40-60km should be sufficient but always good to chuck in a longer one.

I always subscribe to theory of 1 x training = 2x race if needs be. The body is a remarkable thing and it can take a lot of punishment. Especially if doing a group ride or race. The adrenalin alone will get him there.